Fields vs. Getz

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
I think this is an issue that is till playing itself out. We have at least a couple more players in the Minors that may be here within a year or so and then we will be trying to figure out how they all fit in this line up.

Danks in CF? Viciedo at 3B? Allen at 1B? Ramirez at SS? Getz at 2B? Beckham at 3B-SS or 2B? Maybe Getz becomes the super sub? To early to be sure on this yet. Maybe somebody gets traded?

Any way you look at it, this is a FANTASTIC problem to have :) When was the last time, for any Chicago team, we had this type of a problem? I love it

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Getz plays a little third, so if we did move Bacon to 2B/SS and needed someone at the hot corner, Getz can play there

What the hell would be the point of that?

The point of moving Bacon to 2nd is to free up 3b for a power hitter who is sketchy defensively and make 2b a premium spot.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
The thing is, Fields has shown no ability what-so-ever to be the .250, 30 home run hitter in the past 2 years. And quite frankly, it'll never happen unless one morning he finally finds out how to hit a fastball.

I'm not sure the 232 ABs he had in 08-09 is enough to condemn him. Don't we need more of a sample size? He has always had a low average and suspect defense, but his OPS of .728 is very respectable given that low average, and it should improve. Joe Crede has a career OPS of .754 (yes I realize he is a superior defender).

He's played a little over a full season's worth of games and has something like 600 ML abs. Shouldn't we be giving him at least one more half to full season before drawing any conclusions?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I'm not sure the 232 ABs he had in 08-09 is enough to condemn him. Don't we need more of a sample size? He has always had a low average and suspect defense, but his OPS of .728 is very respectable given that low average, and it should improve. Joe Crede has a career OPS of .754 (yes I realize he is a superior defender).

He's played a little over a full season's worth of games and has something like 600 ML abs. Shouldn't we be giving him at least one more half to full season before drawing any conclusions?

I would agree if he should any resemblance to a major league hitter at bat, but he hasn't. Until he learns how to swing a bat properly and gain some bat speed, I don't see how we can have much hope for him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
I would agree if he should any resemblance to a major league hitter at bat, but he hasn't. Until he learns how to swing a bat properly and gain some bat speed, I don't see how we can have much hope for him.

So what should the organization do with him then?

Beckham has no more value at 2B than he does at 3B if we can't find someone to play 3B. We aren't trading him, so trade value is not an issue. If we can put a player at 2B, with Beckham at 3B then that's what we need to do. So far, in my opinion, Getz has proven to be more valuable than Fields ... so Gordo at 3B is our best option right now.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Hope he shows some signs of being a MLB hitter and trade him to some team desperate for a young 3B, like Oakland.

And how would you recommend having him show some signs of being an MLB hitter if he's permanently relegated to a major league bench in favor of another guy hitting .240ish? I'm not sure I understand what exactly your plan with Fields is. His trade value has bottomed out, so why would any team take him for anything?

To me this seems clear: Getz seems to be leveling off at his current value, Fields is hitting about as bad as we could possibly expect and is still in the same ballpark OPS wise. Fields has way more upside, so even if you do want to jettison him, get his trade value up.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

I like the flexibility right now. You have Fields, Beckham, Getz, Nix, and Ramirez that are all interchangeable to a certain degree. Each one gives you something a little different. It has actually worked out pretty nice in interleague play.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
Any way you look at it, this is a FANTASTIC problem to have :) When was the last time, for any Chicago team, we had this type of a problem? I love it

Agreed! This will be a lot of fun over the next year or two or three. What I like is the fact we might have our own home grown talent occupying most of the starting line up. I like that idea a lot!

Who will have the better/longer career in the future (after they leave the White Sox), Fields or Brian Anderson?

It's a good argument simply because of the 81 games played per season at USCF, and the fact that our offense is what's been holding us back....largely.

Of course, the main question can Fields put up an 800+ OPS or could Getz put up a 725-750-775? It seemeed a lot of posters felt Getz was just going to go out there and be this 350-375 OBP type of player with little power and the ability to steal you 15-25 bags per season.

Maybe he is...maybe he isn't. It probably would be easier to find a veteran 3B (thinking along the lines of players such as Joe Randa/Herbert Perry in the past or Tyler Wigginton today) that will give you 20-25 HR power, a 250-275 average and decent RBI numbers.

It helps a lot that Getz is LH...and he's perhaps the fastest player on our team down the line, along with Pods. And he hustles a lot (yes, grinderish...lol) but there's always a role for a player like Getz or Nick Punto, the question is whether it's with the White Sox and whether it's as a starter of bench player.

Another question is who would you rather have to play out the remainder of the season? Uribe/Ramirez/Beckham as your infield or Beckham/Ramirez/Getz-Nix?? Of course, Uribe wouldn't be a long-term solution, but he's proven time and time again to be a winning player, clutch with RISP, great defender, etc. We all know his offensive inadequacies.

Does anyone honestly think they would move Beckham in his rookie season, when he's already out of position, to another position that he's not used to. To me any discussion of Beckham moving from third base comes next season in spring training. We have Getz and Nix to play 2B this season and Fields had his shot for this year and didn't come through. I think for the rest of the season Beckham will stay and the left side of the infield and the other young guys who a have some experience at different positions will be moved around.

Its funny how people think we brought Beckham up too early, but aren't afraid to put him in any position. I know he's god-like, but let the kid settle in

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Anyone else feel like last night was a near perfect microcosm of what we have on our hands with each player?

It'd be nice to think that was genuinely what we can get out of Fields, Getz, and Anderson.

QUOTE (ObamaKnowsBest @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
Does anyone honestly think they would move Beckham in his rookie season, when he's already out of position, to another position that he's not used to. To me any discussion of Beckham moving from third base comes next season in spring training. We have Getz and Nix to play 2B this season and Fields had his shot for this year and didn't come through. I think for the rest of the season Beckham will stay and the left side of the infield and the other young guys who a have some experience at different positions will be moved around.

Its funny how people think we brought Beckham up too early, but aren't afraid to put him in any position. I know he's god-like, but let the kid settle in

Feel free to point out any post that said "OMG, move Beckham to 2b TONIGHT!!!!!"

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Feel free to point out any post that said "OMG, move Beckham to 2b TONIGHT!!!!!"

Feel free to add something to the discussion. There has been plenty of Soxtalk discussion about where Beckham needs to be, 3B, SS, and 2B, and I agree with OKB, Gordon should be allowed to settle in to one position and unfortunately it knocked out another young player(Fields) from his natural position because he was slumping.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
We moved Alexei around a lot last year, despite his youth at a ton of positions generally excluding the one he's used to. Why would this necessarily not allow gordon to "settle in"?

A lot? CF for the first month, very sporadically, then he went to 2B pretty much fulltime when Uribe pulled his hammy against the Giants

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
A lot? CF for the first month, very sporadically, then he went to 2B pretty much fulltime when Uribe pulled his hammy against the Giants

No one's asking him to play musical chairs on a nightly basis, but I don't think there's a ton of difference between playing 2b and 3b, and I don't think it's going to shatter the kid's confidence or affect his bat necessarily. The right combo may eventually be fields at 3b and gordon at 2b, or the right combo might be what we have. I don't think it's black or white.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
Feel free to add something to the discussion. There has been plenty of Soxtalk discussion about where Beckham needs to be, 3B, SS, and 2B, and I agree with OKB, Gordon should be allowed to settle in to one position and unfortunately it knocked out another young player(Fields) from his natural position because he was slumping.

What was it that you added? Nobody has ever said move Beckham this year. Every single post says "for the future" and they are all correct.

My "addition" was that there is no point in arguing over something that doesn't exist (in this case, that Beckham should be moved NOW). Understand now?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
What was it that you added? Nobody has ever said move Beckham this year. Every single post says "for the future" and they are all correct.

My "addition" was that there is no point in arguing over something that doesn't exist (in this case, that Beckham should be moved NOW). Understand now?

Please make sure that nobody has ever said move Beckham this year

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
No one's asking him to play musical chairs on a nightly basis, but I don't think there's a ton of difference between playing 2b and 3b, and I don't think it's going to shatter the kid's confidence or affect his bat necessarily. The right combo may eventually be fields at 3b and gordon at 2b, or the right combo might be what we have. I don't think it's black or white.

I agree with you for the most part. I dont think playing 2B would ever be an issue of "settling in", i think it is more 3rd base than anything. It is a different position than middle infield in mentality and reactions, I just think they want him to stay consistent with one thing before they attempt to shuffle him around. THey have been playing safe with him all season, I dont see that changing

Edited by KyYlE23