Fresh news on Future Sox...

JPN366

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Interesting promotion. Griffith was really struggling. Maybe the Sox decided to push him and let someone else take a rotation spot in Bristol.

He's only pitched 9 innings. Not sure that qualifies as 'struggling'.

I read an article recently where the Bristol coaches were very impressed with the way he's throwing... said Griffith has an 'electric' arm.

I think that, coming off his surgery/rehab, he was only supposed to be in Bristol long enough to make sure he was healthy before going to Kanny.

Edited by scenario

Maybe they think the pitching coach in Kanny is more suited to help out Griffith than the pitching coach in Bristol. Plus, for all we know, Griffith was throwing nasty stuff up there but struggled with command/consistency. I wouldn't say he was struggling until after at least 4 starts.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Maybe they think the pitching coach in Kanny is more suited to help out Griffith than the pitching coach in Bristol. Plus, for all we know, Griffith was throwing nasty stuff up there but struggled with command/consistency. I wouldn't say he was struggling until after at least 4 starts.

7 K's and 7 BB in 9 innings sounds like nobody was swinging.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
I think that, coming off his surgery/rehab, he was only supposed to be in Bristol long enough to make sure he was healthy before going to Kanny.

I'm pretty sure they could have figured that out in extended Spring Training.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:07 AM)
I'm pretty sure they could have figured that out in extended Spring Training.

June 20th article...

Bristol pitching coach Curt Hasler and manager Ryan Newman haven't seen a lot of this team this week because of drenching rains which have allowed the squad just two full workouts.

But they've seen enough of Griffith to make him the Opening Night starter on Tuesday against visiting Greeneville.

"An electric arm," Hasler said of Griffith.

"We're looking for a lot of good things out of him this year," Newman said.

Griffith doesn't have any statistical goals, but he sounds like someone who doesn't plan to make his second Appalachian League stint a long one.

"I just want to improve and put as many zeroes as I can on the scoreboard," he said. "If I do that, everything else will take care of itself."

And if Griffith lives up to his goal, the Tri-Cities might be in his rear view mirror for a second time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point is that it doesn't sound like he's being moved because he's struggling or because they want to give someone else in Bristol his rotation spot.

Edited by scenario