Protecting Gordon

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
I am NOT complaining! However, when we see something good, like we all knew in ST, why put it back into AA?? Pointless. I don't want us to be making the same mistakes, that's all. I think KW has this team very well situated for a second half run....

Remember when Evan Longoria was held back a bit, and then came up. That was to avoid some service time issues, and to keep his FA status a year back. We avoided Beckham probably being a super 2 player, and therefore avoided him going to FA a year early. Sometimes the answer isnt just that our Front Office is a bunch of blind buffoons. Sometimes, they have a plan, and a smart plan. He is here now, and he will be under our control for a long time. Be happy that he looks ready, and is contributing. Be happy.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
You have to wonder if we'll see Beckham batting 2nd tomorrow.

With his ability to serve the ball to the right side, is he our #2 hitter of the future ala Robin Yount? Otherwise seems like a #5 or 6 to me when he hits his prime. It certainly would be ironic to see him in the 2 hole tomorrow....

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Developmentally it would have been a huge mistake to start Gordon Beckham in the majors straight out of ST.

If someone is ready, does it matter? Do you think that extra 2 months in AA helped him at all? No, it didn't. He struggled when coming up just as he would've in April. He's a stud and he is ready. Period.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
With his ability to serve the ball to the right side, is he our #2 hitter of the future ala Robin Yount? Otherwise seems like a #5 or 6 to me when he hits his prime. It certainly would be ironic to see him in the 2 hole tomorrow....

If he develops the kind of power he's showing early he could easily fit in the #3 hole with someone like Quentin, a big home run guy, hitting behind him. Typically you want your best hitter with some power 3rd and your best power guy 4th in a classic lineup.

I think it's fine for Beckham to be in the bottom third of the lineup for a while longer. It gives us juice down there; something for opposing pitchers to worry about.

If we could only get Quentin back ... our offense could go from one of the worst early to one of the best.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
If we could only get Quentin back ... our offense could go from one of the worst early to one of the best.

Even without Quentin, we were 7th in MLB in runs scored in June (although we played 1 more game than most teams).

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
If someone is ready, does it matter? Do you think that extra 2 months in AA helped him at all? No, it didn't. He struggled when coming up just as he would've in April. He's a stud and he is ready. Period.

Yes, I think it made a difference. It helps confidence a lot too because AA is the first time that you get to really see pitching thats pretty close to major league quality. Once you know you can hit that kind of pitching, you will be confident that you can do it again. He did hit some major league pitching in ST, but you have to take into account that 1) there's a lot of rust in those pitches and 2) in ST, pitchers just try to get a feel for their pitches and take specific orders from their coaches, not necessarily to always get guys out and win games.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
I adore Slayer at the 2 hole. That Barons lineup should be a blueprint on what Ozzie should do. Slayer is a gap to gap machine.

If Beckham can hit 25+ home runs a year and hit with the kind of average he's doing right now I want him hitting 3rd.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
I adore Slayer at the 2 hole. That Barons lineup should be a blueprint on what Ozzie should do. Slayer is a gap to gap machine.

Alexei's inability to hit behind the runner, low baseball IQ and low OBP are not optimal for the 2-hole. He's MUCH better suited to be a 6 hitter IMO.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

He's playing well right now and so is the team. There is no reason to be arguing this. You should sleep this off.

Alexei's inability to hit behind the runner, low baseball IQ and low OBP are not optimal for the 2-hole. He's MUCH better suited to be a 6 hitter IMO.

I doubt you meant to quote me there Slav, but I agree 100% with you here.

Someone compared Gordo to M. Young. I can kinda see that cept probably more XBH in general from year to year (though that 50+ XBH year Young had was crazy) and K's less (maybe BB more) I don't think Gordon can get consistant 200+ hit seasons though. But I can still see a rich man's version. I highly doubt Gordon will hit 25+ homers (Idon't even think M. Young did that once) and if he can, then obviously he'll be lower in the lineup. But you have a guy who is a spray hitter basically, gap to gap machine, and can do all the little things a manager dreams of, and STILL drives in runs.. I mean he's your ideal #2 for the future. Maybe.. a #5/6.. not lower than that.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Yes, I think it made a difference. It helps confidence a lot too because AA is the first time that you get to really see pitching thats pretty close to major league quality. Once you know you can hit that kind of pitching, you will be confident that you can do it again. He did hit some major league pitching in ST, but you have to take into account that 1) there's a lot of rust in those pitches and 2) in ST, pitchers just try to get a feel for their pitches and take specific orders from their coaches, not necessarily to always get guys out and win games.

I understand the point, but I don't buy this argument for ONE SECOND. He was good enough to play April 6th and proved it in ST.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I doubt you meant to quote me there Slav, but I agree 100% with you here.

No, I absolutely meant to quote you.

EDIT: Nevermind. Thought you meant Alexei, my bad.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
I understand the point, but I don't buy this argument for ONE SECOND. He was good enough to play April 6th and proved it in ST.

You realize that ST doesn't equal the major's correct. There have been a lot of guys who are ST hall of famers in the Cactus League due to the fact that breaking pitches don't have depth in the Valley. He went to the Southern League, which is a pitching rich league and faced some good prospects in a large baseball park. If he was ready based on his ST numbers, then Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney are headed to the hall of fame as perennial guys who rock the straight pitch in the valley.

I like Gordon down in the lineup. It gives a flow through our lineup, and allows it to score consistently. For years, we have had a heavy top lineup, then nothing at the end. Let him sit at the bottom of the lineup and keep the runs a flowing.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
You realize that ST doesn't equal the major's correct. There have been a lot of guys who are ST hall of famers in the Cactus League due to the fact that breaking pitches don't have depth in the Valley. He went to the Southern League, which is a pitching rich league and faced some good prospects in a large baseball park. If he was ready based on his ST numbers, then Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney are headed to the hall of fame as perennial guys who rock the straight pitch in the valley.

I like Gordon down in the lineup. It gives a flow through our lineup, and allows it to score consistently. For years, we have had a heavy top lineup, then nothing at the end. Let him sit at the bottom of the lineup and keep the runs a flowing.

Exactly....now when guys like Konerko and AJ get on base ahead of him, there is a legit player who can drive them in. Don't have to rely on a Wise/Anderson/Fields. Beckham is a run producer period.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)

Yes, I realize that. However, my point is this guy is SPECIAL, and anyone could see that. Even above the Ryan Sweeney's and BA's who did well in ST. His short compact stroke along with his natural talent is completely different from what we've seen before.

I am sorry, but to compare him to Sweeney or BA when they were coming up is a joke- this guy is heads and shoulders ahead of those clowns.