Jose Contreras

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
I don't know about an extension. We want to go younger, not older. Jose's great, but at his age, any kind of an extension worth more than $5 million per for two or more years is out of the question. He's a great guy to have here for Alexei and Dayan in the future, but he's not 27, he's 37.

Plus, if he really finishes off the season well, he may get picked up by some other team for a good amount of money on a short term deal. I don't think the Sox are going to pursue him if that happens.

I'd be willing to bet he's actually between 39 - 41 years old.

Jose is an ultra-streaky pitcher. In 2005, he couldn't lose in the second half. Carried it over into the beginning of 2006, then fell off the face of the earth. Now he seems to be close to being back on one of those hot streaks. But at some point, it's going to go South again. I wouldn't want him on any kind of multi-year deal, and why would he settle for less? Just enjoy the good and hope he can keep it up through the end of this season. If he can, we'll definitely be in the running to win the division, and even make noise beyond. No more Javier Vazquez wimping out on us. Put Richard in the pen and we'd have a very nice playoff rotation.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
Count has his velocity back up there, I think the guy is back. (holding breath). But the OPs point is a good one, Contreras took his medicine and battle through his issues and has come back to be a tremendous pitcher lately. I hope it keeps up.

Your avatar makes me want to go like this:

:headbang :headbang :headbang