Gov. Palin Resigns (Quits)

bmags

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
This is not overly complicated, it seems to me. Palin's popularity in Alaska has been plummeting. The last thing she wants is to lose an election, or look unpopular. Cutting her losses to protect her image.

I suppose there is a chance there is something brewing we don't know of, but, I think the above is more obvious and simple.

When does her term as Governor normally end? 2010?

Edit, yup, 2006-2010. I could see her not running for a 2nd term as a political strategy (it's what Pawlenty is doing). But leaving now to further her political career is odd unless she has designs on that senate seat.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
but even so, at it's face it looks like she's quitting because of investigations and media scrutiny. That effectively ends her chances of ever getting elected to a higher office than governor, though she may be able to go for mayor!

This is just the end of a terrible farce we've dealt with for months.

edit: seriously, look at her speech: millions of your dollars are being wasted, so I'm quitting, I can do more change from the outside.

Bulls***.

I would hope this is the end, but I doubt it.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
:lolhitting Yep, I see the Dems taking a play from the GOP playbook on Hillary and keep repeating she's the GOP front runner, etc. How embarrassing if they do.

Hillary *WAS* the front runner...?

It took months and months for Obama to finally overtake her and even then he never was that far ahead of her.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Oh and I'm joining the "this is really f***ing odd" crowd.

There are 2 ways it makes sense to me. She's facing some sort of investigation for something she actually did and she's ducking and covering first so that others take the blame, or she's going to declare for the Alaskan Senate Seat primary. Otherwise, this is very odd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
There are 2 ways it makes sense to me. She's facing some sort of investigation for something she actually did and she's ducking and covering first so that others take the blame, or she's going to declare for the Alaskan Senate Seat primary. Otherwise, this is very odd.

For the latter, I SERIOUSLY don't see how resigning helps that AT ALL. The ® in the primary can just hold against her that she hadn't gone more than 2.5 years in to her run as governor, and likely won't last as Sen (2012).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
For the latter, I SERIOUSLY don't see how resigning helps that AT ALL. The ® in the primary can just hold against her that she hadn't gone more than 2.5 years in to her run as governor, and likely won't last as Sen (2012).

I'm with bmags on the 2nd. It makes such an easy attack line.

Spin making the rounds:

She is resigning because:

1. The Media has torpedoed her on a massive scale. They continue to attack today. Many of you may have had or have a public life. It sucks at ANY level. Given that she is a stone fox conservative, actually has some level of moral ground (whether you agree with it or not) makes for numerous round circles. Some were painted on by her own action, most were not.

2. She cannot govern while dealing with all of the barbs. It is time consuming as hell. Stepping off amidst this is not cut and run IMHO, but rather what she thinks is the best thing for the state.

3. She does not need the "job" as she has signed a book deal. Given her status in the world, it will be worth a ton

4. She has a special needs kid. I had a special needs sister. You have NO idea how challenging this is, unless you're doin it.

Basically, the line is that she's quitting because the AK Democrats and the media were too mean to her.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Of course, she could just seriously be tired of the national spotlight on her and her family and decided to get out of the way rather than continue to be a punchline.

I'll accept this if she withdraws quickly and quietly from the national spotlight.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
Spin making the rounds:

She is resigning because:

Basically, the line is that she's quitting because the AK Democrats and the media were too mean to her.

does someone hear a violin?

So, if the argument is "i dont like the press constantly picking on me", then get the hell out of the front of every camera you can find! Dont throw your single monther daughter into People mag's cover. Dont try and speak at every possible GOP event. Go back to Alaska and govern, but you never wanted to do that.

Although I'm sure many don't realize it, today is a good day to be a Republican. She is popular among the base but she lost virtually all her support with independents. Given that the GOP hasn't really developed a coherent strategy to broaden their base other than banking on Obamas failure, she very well may have gotten the nomination and gotten destroyed in the general (its not easy to take down an incumbent unless he is really unpopular).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Although I'm sure many don't realize it, today is a good day to be a Republican. She is popular among the base but she lost virtually all her support with independents. Given that the GOP hasn't really developed a coherent strategy to broaden their base other than banking on Obamas failure, she very well may have gotten the nomination and gotten destroyed in the general (its not easy to take down an incumbent unless he is really unpopular).

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/...0KEjkSAN0&D

Among Republicans, 73 percent view Palin favorably, compared with 57 percent for Romney, 55 percent for Gingrich and 28 percent for Steele, who is still not widely known.

"Remember Alaska... America is now, more than ever, looking North to the Future. It'll be good. So God bless you."

Really? We're looking north for our future? Clearly you are talking about Canada, because there is nothing in Alaska I am lookign forward to.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Andrea Mitchell of NBC is reporting that sources have told her that Palin is out of politics forever.

And yet others are saying the exact opposite.

FOX ANCHOR: Was today's presentation from Governor Palin the opening salvo in the campaign for the presidency of 2012?

PALIN SPOKESWOMAN (CHUCKLING): I won't go so far as saying that. What I will say, though Stuart, this is a fighting move. This is a move that says 'okay, enough. I'm not going to keep hitting my head against this wall. I'm not playing politics as usual. You go play that game, I'll go play it another way and on another court.'

She is saying, 'no, you know what, I believe in national security, I believe in energy independence, I believe in supporting our troops. It's not getting done, and I can't do it and make a difference where I am right now behind the governor's desk, so I'm going to go around the governor's desk, and I'm going to make that difference, outside -- outside government.

FOX ANCHOR: Meghan, it sounds a lot as if you are saying she's going to get out there and campaign in the lower 48. You are her spokeswoman, do you know specifically of some plan that she has to do that?

SPOKESWOMAN: No, there's no plan other than, of course, as she mentioned in her speech, she is going to get out there, and she's going to rally behind the candidates who what those same ideals and values.

Ok, let me clarify the Andrea Mitchel info. She says she is out of politics, but it sounds like it's more like she is out of running for major offices (gov, sen, pres.). SHe'll probably be a speaker and money raiser for canitaes she likes. So, she's not "out" of politics, she's just not gonna be n office.