Who Is Kenny Trying to Shake Loose?

Marty34

Per Will Carrol (not the most reliable source) Kenny's on the prowl trying to strike a quick deal. He mentioned the Giants are trying to do the same, but says they aren't necessarily talking to one another.

I'm thinking it's a top-of-the-rotation starter he's after again. Interesting that Toronto keeps fading . . . Halladay perhaps?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I'd think Flowers would have to be in any deal for Halladay.

Flowers is part of the untouchable prospect group including Beckham (if you still count him as a prospect), Danks2, Hudson, and Viciedo.

The one thing w/ Flowers - if he cant get people pitching around him at the higher levels, he's a totally different offensive player. And the defense is very TBD.

I just cant buy a principle in a Javy deal as a principle in a Halladay deal. Hope it happens though!

Edited by Princess Dye

I have also touched upon this subject quite a few times (Halliday, or a front line starter) but since the Sox are on a pretty hot roll maybe we should back off tinkering. I am now more inclined to see KW trade for a rental with an option year until the end of 2010 and then see what the potential class of 2011 has to offer (Poreda/Hudson/Shirek). There are a couple rental types out there with option years of some free agents that can be signed for a year. Hard to say now.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Just an FYI for all, Halliday has given up 2 gopher balls today and looks human for a change. Just sayin he won´t be lights ot every single game, but almost every single game.

who?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Flowers is part of the untouchable prospect group including Beckham (if you still count him as a prospect), Danks2, Hudson, and Viciedo.

Flowers is not untouchable in the case of Halladay. Nobody outside of Beckham and maybe Hudson (because of our lack of starting pitching prospects) should be untouchable in this case. Viciedo is obviously not going anywhere.

Just for the record..marty were you the guy that broke the Peavy deal? I feel like it was you.

Marty has broken alot of deals for us in the past (and took some serious s*** from posters, high power and low power here when he was right) but he doesn't hold that honor in the Peavy deal. Hell it was a poster from the MLB chisox board of all places.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
If Roy Halladay came to the Sox, the divison race would be over then...I don't see Toronto trading away their best player for anything less than major league proven talent and the best prospects.

Toronto would be a great team to target right now. They are rumored to be looking to cut payroll, and their attendance is about 7000 people PER GAME lower. They have to be in a world of hurt right now. I'd be willling to bet if JR was willing to approve the addition of Peavy, he would approve Halladay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Toronto would be a great team to target right now. They are rumored to be looking to cut payroll, and their attendance is about 7000 people PER GAME lower. They have to be in a world of hurt right now. I'd be willling to bet if JR was willing to approve the addition of Peavy, he would approve Halladay.

Halladay >>> Peavy

And that's no exaggeration on my part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)

You just have to remember that Halladay is 32 and is only signed for 1.5 more years. You can't offer the same quality of deal that you offered for Peavy given the contract and age differences.

Face it: if we aren't going to give up Viciedo, Beckham, Danks, Flowers, or Hudson, we have no chance at Halladay. There's nobody really on Toronto I'd want (by the way, the hats they wear today and on Canada Day are awesome). Rios has a huge deal + his OBP is a whopping .318 this year. Wells makes way too much + he sucks. Scott Downs or Jason Frasor would be solid pick-ups to help our bullpen. Both have ERA's under 2.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Face it: if we aren't going to give up Viciedo, Beckham, Danks, Flowers, or Hudson, we have no chance at Halladay. There's nobody really on Toronto I'd want (by the way, the hats they wear today and on Canada Day are awesome). Rios has a huge deal + his OBP is a whopping .318 this year. Wells makes way too much + he sucks. Scott Downs or Jason Frasor would be solid pick-ups to help our bullpen. Both have ERA's under 2.

I have no doubt they want to get rid of Wells and/or Rios first, but when you are looking at losing a million passes through the turnstyle in one year, you do what you can to survive. Halladay is the one marketable commodity that they have.

Personally, I'd still offer up the same package as we put up for Peavy for a year and a half of Roy Halladay.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Halladay's deal doesn't make sense for where this organization is at. Considering the astronomical deal he'll get after next year, I'd rather pass.

It makes sense for a team that is this close to winning a division, if they really want to have the pitching staff to compete in the playoffs.

Halladay, Buehrle, Contreras, Danks/Floyd is near untouchable as far as a playoff staff compared to the rest of the teams in the races.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
It makes sense for a team that is this close to winning a division, if they really want to have the pitching staff to compete in the playoffs.

Halladay, Buehrle, Contreras, Danks/Floyd is near untouchable as far as a playoff staff compared to the rest of the teams in the races.

IF they're all healthy.

everyone is going to be looking for starters... thats why teams are trying to get something done before the all star break.

shockingly... the most attractive name out there for other teams is Javy. I know for a fact that he is available but the price is going to be high IMO... and teams don't seemed to be scared to pay it.

anyways... names I would like to see the Sox rumored with...

Danny Haren

Roy Halladay

Josh Johnson

Eric Bedard

names that I won't be surprised to see, but I will be less excited about...

Jonathan Sanchez

Aaron Harang

Bronson Arroyo

Ian Snell

Gil Meche

John Lannan

my prediction: Sox trade for Jon Garland if they can't get a big name Starter.