Who Is Kenny Trying to Shake Loose?

Marty34

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Face it: if we aren't going to give up Viciedo, Beckham, Danks, Flowers, or Hudson, we have no chance at Halladay. There's nobody really on Toronto I'd want (by the way, the hats they wear today and on Canada Day are awesome). Rios has a huge deal + his OBP is a whopping .318 this year. Wells makes way too much + he sucks. Scott Downs or Jason Frasor would be solid pick-ups to help our bullpen. Both have ERA's under 2.

I'd love to add Downs, and would even be okay with Frasor.

Just wonder what they would cost us.

and who's spot would 1 or both be taking.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
everyone is going to be looking for starters... thats why teams are trying to get something done before the all star break.

shockingly... the most attractive name out there for other teams is Javy. I know for a fact that he is available but the price is going to be high IMO... and teams don't seemed to be scared to pay it.

anyways... names I would like to see the Sox rumored with...

Danny Haren

Roy Halladay

Josh Johnson

Eric Bedard

names that I won't be surprised to see, but I will be less excited about...

Jonathan Sanchez

Aaron Harang

Bronson Arroyo

Ian Snell

Gil Meche

John Lannan

my prediction: Sox trade for Jon Garland if they can't get a big name Starter.

Garland? For the money, I would rather keep Richard in the rotation and find another bat to come off of the bench.

Oh, and I really don't want to see Bedard included in rumors with the Sox. I don't trust he's healthy.

I highly doubt we'd go after another LHP in the rotation. I also don't believe KW is dumb enough to offer Richard and/or Poreda unless were getting a very good RHP like a Haren or Halladay. Ozzie likes his L-R-L-R in the rotation and during matchups all the damn time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Garland? For the money, I would rather keep Richard in the rotation and find another bat to come off of the bench.

not saying I want it to happen, but at the same time... if the cost is just picking up some of the remaining scratch he is owed I am all for it.

I like Clayton, but I am tired of seeing him last 5 innings. I am fully confident that Garland could eat innings for us.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Oh, and I really don't want to see Bedard included in rumors with the Sox. I don't trust he's healthy.

I can't see the Sox seriously chasing a guy with the reputation for being a little b****. They don't seem to mind difficult, but they don't like sissies.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
everyone is going to be looking for starters... thats why teams are trying to get something done before the all star break.

shockingly... the most attractive name out there for other teams is Javy. I know for a fact that he is available but the price is going to be high IMO... and teams don't seemed to be scared to pay it.

anyways... names I would like to see the Sox rumored with...

Danny Haren

Roy Halladay

Josh Johnson

Eric Bedard

names that I won't be surprised to see, but I will be less excited about...

Jonathan Sanchez

Aaron Harang

Bronson Arroyo

Ian Snell

Gil Meche

John Lannan

my prediction: Sox trade for Jon Garland if they can't get a big name Starter.

Josh Johnson has a 2.78 ERA, a 1.13 WHIP, and he's 25 years old. There is no way he's going anywhere.

Harang wouldn't be too bad. His ERA is a respectable 3.86.

Haren would be f***ing outstanding, but he'd likely cost a lot.

Meche won't be traded inside the division.

Lannan would be coming from easy going DC to a division title race in Chicago. I'll pass.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Josh Johnson has a 2.78 ERA, a 1.13 WHIP, and he's 25 years old. There is no way he's going anywhere.

Lannan would be coming from easy going DC to a division title race in Chicago. I'll pass.

The Sox and Royals have a long trading history. A Meche deal could very well happen.

remember you are talking about the Marlins here... and about a guy with a history of arm troubles with Boras as his agent.

I think that reason there will prevent him from coming to us... but I could very easily see Johnson traded for a package of 3 good prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

I don't see how KW would be willing to pay Gil Meche $11 million per season when he had a similar pitcher (great "stuff" but average results) in Javy Vazquez. Just don't see how he's in the same category with the likes of Haren/Peavy/Halladay/J. Johnson or even Rich Harden that would tip the balance of power in the division completely in the direction of the White Sox for the next 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 seasons.

Maybe there's something "correctable" about Meche psychologically that was a roadblock with Javy, though.

Snell's got a nice arm, good "buy low, then resurrect" candidate for Cooper to work with...vis a vis someone like Van Benschoten or Marquez.

Edited by caulfield12

Snell is making his 2nd start in the minors tonight since being demoted.

He struck out 17 in his first outing.

Lets go take him from the Bucs since they don't want him.

I know we don't need him, but having a glove like Jack Wilson would be nice too.

How about Snell for David Cook.

I disagree... you are talking about a guy who after being demoted, their GM came out and said resigning him was a mistake... yes he said that to the media.

Snell is still due 5 million for next year too. I think you can give them a warm body and they might jump at it.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Snell is making his 2nd start in the minors tonight since being demoted.

He struck out 17 in his first outing.

Lets go take him from the Bucs since they don't want him.

I know we don't need him, but having a glove like Jack Wilson would be nice too.

How about Snell for David Cook.

But we already have a player similar (defense first) to Wilson/Everett on our roster in Nix.

If we played Wilson everyday at SS, then you'd have to bench Getz and stick Alexei back at 2B or in CF in the middle of a pennant race. Just don't see how a limited (offensively) NL player is going to come over and have much of an impact in the ALCD, but stranger things have happened, like Adam Everett compiling almost a 700 OPS after his career looked more or less dead and buried.

It's going to take more than Cook to get Snell.

Let's say it will be John Shelby and someone like Omogrosso or Santeliz for starters.

I bet KW is still kicking himself for not coming up with something better than Matt Joyce for Edwin Jackson...that one move/non-move could mean the difference in the division this season. Jackson's still at a 2.49 ERA at mid-season and will get a boatload of money after 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Flowers is not untouchable in the case of Halladay. Nobody outside of Beckham and maybe Hudson (because of our lack of starting pitching prospects) should be untouchable in this case. Viciedo is obviously not going anywhere.

I firmly believe those players I listed are considered untouchable, not matter who the target it is. They seem to be the players we are looking to build this team around for the long term, along with Danks, Floyd, maybe Q if he gets healthy, and maybe Jenks.

When you suck like the Royals do, and the future isn't looking all that bright either, you don't really care who you trade with as long as you get good prospects.

As for Lannan, I'll add that I think he'd get absolutely rocked in the AL and that he isn't that good, regardless of what his stats look like.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't see how KW would be willing to pay Gil Meche $11 million per season when he had a similar pitcher (great "stuff" but average results) in Javy Vazquez. Just don't see how he's in the same category with the likes of Haren/Peavy/Halladay/J. Johnson or even Rich Harden that would tip the balance of power in the division completely in the direction of the White Sox for the next 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 seasons.

Maybe there's something "correctable" about Meche psychologically that was a roadblock with Javy, though.

Snell's got a nice arm, good "buy low, then resurrect" candidate for Cooper to work with...vis a vis someone like Van Benschoten or Marquez.

Meche don't have great stuff anymore. He's more like a Jeff Supan type now, IMO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
But we already have a player similar (defense first) to Wilson/Everett on our roster in Nix.

If we played Wilson everyday at SS, then you'd have to bench Getz and stick Alexei back at 2B or in CF in the middle of a pennant race. Just don't see how a limited (offensively) NL player is going to come over and have much of an impact in the ALCD, but stranger things have happened, like Adam Everett compiling almost a 700 OPS after his career looked more or less dead and buried.

It's going to take more than Cook to get Snell.

Let's say it will be John Shelby and someone like Omogrosso or Santeliz for starters.

I bet KW is still kicking himself for not coming up with something better than Matt Joyce for Edwin Jackson...that one move/non-move could mean the difference in the division this season. Jackson's still at a 2.49 ERA at mid-season and will get a boatload of money after 2009.

I remember hearing rumors that they wanted Dye for Jackson. I have no problem with us turning down that deal.

But I still think we could have come up with a package of players that would be more intriguing than Matt Joyce alone. Joyce is alright, but he won't be a great player, probably a better version of Gabe Gross.