Who Is Kenny Trying to Shake Loose?

Marty34

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
You just have to remember that Halladay is 32 and is only signed for 1.5 more years. You can't offer the same quality of deal that you offered for Peavy given the contract and age differences.

Exactly. One of Richard or Poreda would have to stay. Especially if you throw in a Flowers or an Allen.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Halladay's deal doesn't make sense for where this organization is at. Considering the astronomical deal he'll get after next year, I'd rather pass.

Honestly i would offer the same package + some for Haren before anyone else first. Even if it takes Flowers, Poreda, Richard and even Getz + more- you do it. As far as Doc Holiday goes, if we were that one piece away from winning it next year, that is the time i'd make that deal. This year is doesn't make much sense, unless they are looking into filling the rest of the puzzle this winter- making 2010 the one year to make a run at it.

I would much rather have a run at it for 3+ years with Haren in our rotation.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Honestly i would offer the same package + some for Haren before anyone else first. Even if it takes Flowers, Poreda, Richard and even Getz + more- you do it. As far as Doc Holiday goes, if we were that one piece away from winning it next year, that is the time i'd make that deal. This year is doesn't make much sense, unless they are looking into filling the rest of the puzzle this winter- making 2010 the one year to make a run at it.

I would much rather have a run at it for 3+ years with Haren in our rotation.

Haren is going to be next to impossible to get because of his favorable contract. As far as Halliday goes, I think with a healthy Quentin and a top 3-4 of Halladay, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd they could absolutely give the Yankees a run for their money in the playoffs. If you don't think they could, might as well be sellers because outside of Halladay (and Haran) their isn't a player that puts the Sox on the Yankees level come postseason.

You could also deal Halliday after the season to recoup some of the young talent you traded to get him.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Haren is going to be next to impossible to get because of his favorable contract. As far as Halliday goes, I think with a healthy Quentin and a top 3-4 of Halladay, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd they could absolutely give the Yankees a run for their money in the playoffs. If you don't think they could, might as well be sellers because outside of Halladay (and Haran) their isn't a player that puts the Sox on the Yankees level come postseason.

You could also deal Halliday after the season to recoup some of the young talent you traded to get him.

You do realize the Yankees aren't even in first place right now? They're in the wild card slot right now.

The Rays might end up being the best team, but it's really hard for me to bet against the Red Sox winning that division...although they've had mixed results with their slew of bargain signings like Saito, Kotsay, Penny, Smoltz and Baldelli.

They are supposedly really interested in Escobar from the Braves. Would like to see Escobar at SS, Ramirez at 2B and Beckham at 3B to finish out this season...we might have to take Francouer's contract and his 600+ OPS to get it done, but that would be a much more talented infield and far better defensively than what we have now up the middle as a DP combination.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
You do realize the Yankees aren't even in first place right now? They're in the wild card slot right now.

They are, as you admit, in the playoffs as of today. Your point I guess is the Yankees are not to be worried about. I think you're wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
They are supposedly really interested in Escobar from the Braves. Would like to see Escobar at SS, Ramirez at 2B and Beckham at 3B to finish out this season...we might have to take Francouer's contract and his 600+ OPS to get it done, but that would be a much more talented infield and far better defensively than what we have now up the middle as a DP combination.

Where did you see this?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
Where did you see this?

There have been more than a few reports saying that the Braves may consider moving Escobar in exchange for a big bat. I haven't seen the White Sox directly linked anywhere, but what is Kenny not involved in? There's also been a lot of talk about the rift between the Braves and the constantly struggling Francoeur. They'd probably have moved him already if they felt like they would get anything in return.

KW has to be looking at CF or one of the top end starters. I'm sure the Sox aren't completely comfortable with Podsednik roaming CF. I think there could still be plenty of AB's for him on a rotating basis by giving CQ,JD,JT, and PK occasional days off. As for top end starting pitchers, if KW obtained any of the afore mentioned pitchers, the Sox would become immediate threats to win the AL. Let's say Halliday is acquired. A rotation of him, MB, Danks,Floyd, and Contreras (especially if he keeps pitching the way he has)would be the best in the AL,maybe all of baseball. On top of that, you have the best bullpen in the AL. Then,you'd hopefully add a healthy Quentin for the second half and the Sox are as legit as it gets.

I don't think Dye is going anyhwere. He's just too valuable right now. I wonder if Walt Jocketty goes to bed every night kicking himself for not making the Dye for Bailey trade. The Reds,in my opinion, would have a comfortable lead in that division if they had a right handed bat the caliber of JD in that lineup. All because they were too cheap to take on Dye's salary at the expense of Homer freakin" Bailey,who has started to show some life but is far from a finished product. Thank you Walt.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
KW has to be looking at CF or one of the top end starters. I'm sure the Sox aren't completely comfortable with Podsednik roaming CF. I think there could still be plenty of AB's for him on a rotating basis by giving CQ,JD,JT, and PK occasional days off. As for top end starting pitchers, if KW obtained any of the afore mentioned pitchers, the Sox would become immediate threats to win the AL. Let's say Halliday is acquired. A rotation of him, MB, Danks,Floyd, and Contreras (especially if he keeps pitching the way he has)would be the best in the AL,maybe all of baseball. On top of that, you have the best bullpen in the AL. Then,you'd hopefully add a healthy Quentin for the second half and the Sox are as legit as it gets.

I don't think Dye is going anyhwere. He's just too valuable right now. I wonder if Walt Jocketty goes to bed every night kicking himself for not making the Dye for Bailey trade. The Reds,in my opinion, would have a comfortable lead in that division if they had a right handed bat the caliber of JD in that lineup. All because they were too cheap to take on Dye's salary at the expense of Homer freakin" Bailey,who has started to show some life but is far from a finished product. Thank you Walt.

Always those incompleted deals (Peavy, Garland for Erstad, Contreras/Dye/Buehrle not being dumped at different times in their Sox careers, now Bailey/Dickerson for Dye not being completed) that have broken KW's way about 90% of the time in the second half of his GM tenure.

Bobby Cox is at wit's end with shortstop Yunel Escobar, whose effort doesn't always match his ability. It wouldn't be shocking if the Braves shuffled shortstops before the All-Star break, perhaps adding a veteran such as the Astros' Miguel Tejada, the A's Orlando Cabrera or the Orioles' Cesar Izturis, who is a couple of weeks away from getting back on the field after appendicitis. ...
Another blurb on Escobar.

Remember folks, when you make these trade suggestions, Kenny is not going to mortgage the future for the present. Whether that means dealing away some of our top prospects (unless there's another one in front of or behind that is considered a higher ceiling) or by trading for a rent-a-player.

So, remember that when suggesting Haren, Halladay or Josh Johnson.

I really wouldnt mortgage the future.

We're about to have a ton of money freed up, and if we get FAs, it could be an excellent mix of youth and established talent here.

Kenny will not give up on being Tampa Bay. I think the Peavy thing made sense because it was essentially one prospect for an ace.

Just out of the blue here, but what are people projecting for Flowers' MLB power?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Remember folks, when you make these trade suggestions, Kenny is not going to mortgage the future for the present. Whether that means dealing away some of our top prospects (unless there's another one in front of or behind that is considered a higher ceiling) or by trading for a rent-a-player.

So, remember that when suggesting Haren, Halladay or Josh Johnson.

When has KW not mortgaged the future for the present? There is a poster here called Kenny Hates Prospects for a reason. I remember KW saying a few years ago that if players had value in the minor leagues he wanted to find a way to translate that value to the big league club. KW has never been shy about trading away prospects, maybe he has turned over a new leaf, but his track record says anyone in the minors can be had in the right deal.

Halladay will net Type A compensation after the 2010 season, Haren will cost a ton, but will solidify the rotation through 2013, Johnson is injury prone and has Boras as his agent so I dont see KW spending the farm on him. But KW will trade prospects if it lands the guy he covets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Because I want Getz to develop and see what he can do. We know what Guzman can do.

He's hit .320 in Washington with a .790 OPS (107 OPS+) over the last 3 seasons. That's not bad at all.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
When has KW not mortgaged the future for the present? There is a poster here called Kenny Hates Prospects for a reason. I remember KW saying a few years ago that if players had value in the minor leagues he wanted to find a way to translate that value to the big league club. KW has never been shy about trading away prospects, maybe he has turned over a new leaf, but his track record says anyone in the minors can be had in the right deal.

Halladay will net Type A compensation after the 2010 season, Haren will cost a ton, but will solidify the rotation through 2013, Johnson is injury prone and has Boras as his agent so I dont see KW spending the farm on him. But KW will trade prospects if it lands the guy he covets.

Agreed, but look at the quality of prospects then to now. And no, I'm not overvaluing. I think there are a lot more untouchables in the system now than there were in the recent memory. And really, how many of those prospects Kenny dealt/cut have done anything?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Flowers is part of the untouchable prospect group including Beckham (if you still count him as a prospect), Danks2, Hudson, and Viciedo.

Why is Flowers untouchable? He's a future DH...he's definately a masher, but he's not graded to be a major league catcher at all...

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
Agreed, but look at the quality of prospects then to now. And no, I'm not overvaluing. I think there are a lot more untouchables in the system now than there were in the recent memory. And really, how many of those prospects Kenny dealt/cut have done anything?

All have them combined have done to nothing, which would probably suggest KW would be even more willing to deal. Jeremy Reed, coming off a .400+ season, was a guy as highly touted as just about anyone in our minor league system currently. We dealt him in a 3 chip set that included an already established young catcher, and another solid prospect in Morse for Ben Davis and Freddy Garcia. I wouldn't put it by KW to do anything, outside of cashing in on Beckham.