Porcello v Beckham

Princess Dye

Porcello, Romero, Beckham, and Andrus will be the 4. I'm guessing Beckham is going to continue to rake, especially once he starts seeing some of these pitchers over and over. Porcello has the "1st place" thing going for him. Andrus has the offense + the defense going for him, though.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
His stolen base technique is so bad, I'll be surprised if he gets to 10.

If he only gets 10, he'll have to up his average and HR/RBI totals then.

If Porcello wins 16-17 games, he's pretty much a lock.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
If we want Beckham in this discussion then by the end of the season we need to be talking about an average well over .300 and 15+ home runs for him. Talk to me when he's close to that.

Huh? What is "well over" .300?

You know, if Beckham played in New York or Boston he would be all over ESPN and SI covers. Its pretty sad how much the media loves the players for those 2 cities and justs says a few good words on others' talent. Very frustrating. Beckham for ROY.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
There have been numerous ROY winners with batting averages below .300, in fact it is the norm. Beckham does not need to hit well over .300 to be "in the discussion"

Yeah but in those years there was not any competition unlike this year. Specifically a pitcher who might with 16-17 games

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
Last year Edinson Volquez went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA and 206 strikeouts. He finished 4th in the NL ROY voting with 6% of the share

He wasn't a rookie. Everyone who voted for him was either extremely stupid, or victim of a hilarious misunderstanding.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
He wasn't a rookie. Everyone who voted for him was either extremely stupid, or victim of a hilarious misunderstanding.

Yep

According to mlb.com

Determining rookie status:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (B ) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

Volquez went into last season with 80IP already at the major league level.

A quick google search found me this:

http://www.thebaseballzealot.com/awards/vo...e-nl-roy-voting

So had Volquez put those numbers up in his actual Rookie year, then I hope he would have ran away with the RoY.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
There have been numerous ROY winners with batting averages below .300, in fact it is the norm. Beckham does not need to hit well over .300 to be "in the discussion"

I would agree with that if Beckham had played the whole season. He's only playing at best 60% of the season. Which means he won't be eligible for things like the batting title, etc. And which means to me that his numbers over that part of the season need to be absolutely staggering for him to earn that award.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Don't count out Matt Wieters having a huge 2nd half surge, either. He has the huge name recognition, along with Porcello.

Almost nobody outside of Canada/AL East cities without a roto team knows much about Romero...good "stealth" candidate.

I only play head to head and I have Romero on one of my teams.