I feel bad for Chris Rongey

WCSox

I had the misfortune of listening to today's post-game show. I've listened to the show occasionally in the past, but not often because most of the callers are completely uninformed and some are completely lacking in intellect. Is going nuts on the idiot callers and use words like "crap" "idiot", and "moron" to describe them a recent phenomenon?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Rongey is a complete dope.

I just think he’s way too hesitant to take a firm position on any subject. He’s walking a fine line between company man and analyst. He seems like a good guy though, and I like and agree with a lot of what he has to say.

I don't. Ozzie and KW can do no wrong according to him. He's an apologist voice for the White Sox who tries to sugarcoat everything.

The only pre/post game guy I liked was I believe Dave Wells, and that was back in 05. I wish we kept him. Rongey is useless.... and he gets paid to talk about the White Sox and baseball in general.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
I don't. Ozzie and KW can do no wrong according to him. He's an apologist voice for the White Sox who tries to sugarcoat everything.

The only pre/post game guy I liked was I believe Dave Wells, and that was back in 05. I wish we kept him. Rongey is useless.... and he gets paid to talk about the White Sox and baseball in general.

Wills was in TB by '05. Brian Dolgin was the pre/post guy in '05.

QUOTE (CSF @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Wills was in TB by '05. Brian Dolgin was the pre/post guy in '05.

Yeah, I just read his wiki page... I miss him. Loosing him and Rooney in back to back years was tough.

Edited by BearSox

Yeah, I loved Rooney and Wayne Hagen together, and that REALLY dates me.

Rongey is a Cardinals fan and I would trade for the "pressure/stress" of that job in a minute...and no, I don't think it's paid HUGELY well, but I get by on little more than $1000 USD per month teaching in Thailand, so maybe it's a matter of the proper perspective. Of course, who the paycheck is signed by limits your criticism...it's the nature of working for the White Sox (see Hawk). If you are rich or an iconic figure, like Stone (or Santo), you can certainly afford to be a lot more objective and scathing at times.

Because of the supply and demand with aspiring young broadcasters waiting to step in for virtually free, the economic downturn and advertising rates declining...if anything, there's a downward stress on salaries.

I remember when I graduated with an MS in Sports Admin in 1993 and turning down any internship that was unpaid, even one with the Red Sox paying $200-300 per month. I would guess the salaries at the lower levels of major sports radio aren't incredibly different from working for a team and being lucky to make $2000-2500 per month in salary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
and I would trade for the "pressure/stress" of that job in a minute

There isn't much pressure or stress in dealing with incredibly stupid people. It's just an annoyance.

Of course, who the paycheck is signed by limits your criticism...it's the nature of working for the White Sox (see Hawk). If you are rich or an iconic figure, like Stone (or Santo), you can certainly afford to be a lot more objective and scathing at times.

Your comparison with Hawk is solid, although Hawk has the luxury of not having to constantly defend the Sox front office for 30 minutes after every game. His toeing of the company is usually unsolicited.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Is it okay if you think Chris Rongey qualifies as one of those idiots?

Rongey may not be a baseball genius, but some of these callers are inhumanly stupid.

The only problem I have with Rongey is that he thinks his job is to defend the Whitesox after every loss to every angry fan. Even the callers that actually have a god point and aren't irate he still feels the need to be an apologist for the Sox. Give me fair and balanced Rongey and I will give you no complaints cause the voice

and the knowledge is there just directed towards the wrong purpose.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
The only problem I have with Rongey is that he thinks his job is to defend the Whitesox after every loss to every angry fan. Even the callers that actually have a god point and aren't irate he still feels the need to be an apologist for the Sox. Give me fair and balanced Rongey and I will give you no complaints cause the voice

and the knowledge is there just directed towards the wrong purpose.

I think his stance is more - dont go off the cliff just because they lost a game

If the Sox were to be the Pittsburgh Pirates, he might be more approving of some of the hate - were it presented in a suitable hate-package. Have some reasoning and he will respect your opinion or debate in a productive way.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
I think his stance is more - dont go off the cliff just because they lost a game

If the Sox were to be the Pittsburgh Pirates, he might be more approving of some of the hate - were it presented in a suitable hate-package. Have some reasoning and he will respect your opinion or debate in a productive way.

I guess you didn't hear him in 07.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Phil Jackson once said talk radio is just mental masturbation.

My mind loves masturbating than because it masturbates when I am in the shower,in the kitchen,in the car sitting in traffic,in my dads garage and sometimes even at a baseball game.