Your First Posts

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe here is mine, of course I had a previous name on this site for a few years. Rock and I had a nice chat about season tickets

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=39246&st=0

This is one day after I was finished with my job with the sox in sales and marketing, i was still the sales guy at heart haha.

Here is my first post, its strange how many people in that thread still post here:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=600&st=210

Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyways, since the end of last season, I have almost religiously followed the trade movements in hope that the White Sox would do something. Eventually this following became an obsession every day looking, every day trying to find that we did something, anything to just provide me with some sort of justification that the White Sox were trying. But in my madness I finally realized that perhaps my obsession with the White Sox doing something was bordering on ridiculous.

On the few message boards that I have checked, most people seem to be very upset with the fact that the White Sox have seemingly lost out on a variety of different pitchers, Oritz and Byrd being the last. But when looking at the rumors of what we would have had to give up for Ortiz, Konerko in particular, I think that the White Sox made a good decision to not trade for Ortiz.

I have always been suspect of National League pitchers coming to the American League, the trade for Todd Ritchie even furthered this suspicion. Unlike in the National League, there is no free out that gets many pitchers out of trouble. I can not even recall how many times Todd Ritchie would be on the brink of getting himself out of trouble, only to be pounded by the bottom half of the order.

I do not see Ortiz as being able to be as successful as he was in the National League, and with the price that was given up for him, he clearly was demanding far more then he would be worth in the American League.

So that brings me to what the White Sox should do, I will assume that we are working with about $57 million in salary:

1) Sign a free agent such as Roger Clemens or Greg Maddux.

Sure they both are out of our price range now, but if we were willing to trade Lee, Liefer, and others, why would we not be willing to trade them for prospects?

If we were to trade Lee, Valentine, and not resign Ritchie, that would free up 5mil from Valentine, 2.7mil from Lee, and 3.5mil from Ritchie.

That is a total of 11.2 million for next year. Most likely we would have to eat some of Valentine's contract, perhaps even half, lowering our savings to 8.7 million.

We also have considerably less cap tied to players that we had last year.

Thomas is 4million cheaper, Durham's 6million is gone, Clayton's 4.5million is gone, so is Alomars 2.5mil and Foulke's 4million has been replaced by Koch's 2.35mil, but eventually will be increased.

This leaves us saving 17 million from last years starting cap alone, even if we do not include Koch.

17 + 8.7= 25 million less salary then last year.

Even if we resign Burhle to a long term contract, we are still a significantly cheaper team then we were last year.

We can then use that money to sign a Roger Clemens or a Greg Maddux, two pitchers that will give us not only a number 2, but pitchers that could be number 1s.

We can replace Lee with either Liefer, or Brochard, or perhaps try and get a center field prospect through our trades and put Rowand in Left Field for the time being.

With Valentine gone we can put Jiminez at short and Harris at 2nd.

In essence we would be trading Valentine and Lee for Maddux or Clemens, both trades I would make in a heart beat.

Option 2:

If Maddux accepts arbitration it is unlikely that the Braves will be able to keep their entire starting staff. What this means is that Milwood may be on the block, but will come at a very high price tag.

I think that Milwood would make a far better pitcher for the White Sox then Ortiz would have, and will make the transition to the American League much smoother then Ortiz might of. The reason for this is Milwood's extremly low whip, and the fact that he has an outstanding Walks to K's ratio.

Both of these factors make Milwood a much better risk to take for the White Sox if we are going to give up a considerable package.

If we were thinking about giving up Konerko for Ortiz, I would much rather think about having Milwood for Konerko. Eventhough I will admit, it would be a cold day in hell before I ever traded Konerko, but if he is on the market, I want a starter who is going to be a stud for years to come.

If we traded Konerko we could try and get David Ortiz, which would give us a power hitting first baseman.

Anyhow, this is all just what my sick and twisted mind has come up with. I doubt that any of it happens, and most likely the White Sox will either trade with the Expos or stand pat.

But I can dream, I can dream of a White Sox team that will win the World Series. Because thats all ive got right now.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
Here is my first post, its strange how many people in that thread still post here:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=600&st=210

What I love about that post is you talking about what we'll do with our $57M payroll. Thank god we don't have to put up with those monetary restrictions anymore. I kind of forgot what it used to be like having to operate on that tight of a budget.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 25, 2004 -> 10:09 AM)
How long can kenny williams sit there without signing a competent fifth starter before we fire him?

Needs:

Better third baseman

Willie Harris or Jose Valentin to get the boot (Valentin's gone but preferably Harris too)

Garland put up or shut up

Better right fielder

Fifth starter (or maybe 1,2,3, or 4)

Third baseman corrected itself, we got the Gooch, Garland put up, we signed Dye, we signed El Duque. I really only missed the mark on third base.

This rant about a rumored Ordonez/Rauch for Ortiz/Jones trade seems to be my first ever on Soxtalk. As usual, it was about 2 paragraphs long and no one replied to it. :lolhitting

I'm glad we never got Ortiz, but I greatly mis-judge the timing of Andruw Jones' demise, considering he hit 92 homers over the next two seasons. :unsure:

I've still never been a big fan of his, and we ended up with JD/AJ/Tadahito/Pods and a World Series title instead, so I still stand by the general point of the post. :gosox3:

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 25, 2002 -> 08:59 PM)
f*** YES!!!!! I'm so f***ing excited, that I don't have to go to Anaheim this season, though if I have the funds I may go again we'll see. But I'm pumped!!!!!!!! June 6-8, I'm soooo there!!! You gonna go to Dodger Stadium?

That question was to Jason about the Sox/Dodgers series back in 2003.

I swore a lot, back when Soxtalk was cool and you could swear.

I still hate Anaheim so that hasn't changed from when I was 18.

I also saw a thread where I was SO pissed that KW traded Joe Valentine haha Ooops.

With Mark on the mound and Madson making his 1st start(on a 50-60 count), I expect an easy victory(that is assuming that botch doesnt ever touch the mound).

It is half-price night and as said before, we should expect a couple of fights. Oh well, I'm all for it as long as its a cubs fan getting the snot kicked out of him.

:bang :stick :fight :fthecubs :chair

Apparently it's cool to use smileys in your first post. This post was in the midst of Billy Botch being at his best and when our half-price nights were causing a big stir.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
For everyone that wants to find their first post this is a decent way of finding it.

I deserve multiple get out of jail free cards now since I'm helping multiple people.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
To bad allstar voters dont realize that stealing bags and messing up pitchers mind works just as good as hitting the homerun!

In a thread about Pods possibly going to the allstar game. I guess the public realized this when we voted him in the final vote.

Mine was a thread starter when I was big time prospects fan.. (still am.. more knowledgeable) and this was when Rex Hudler was the superior minor league guy. I still love Jeremy Reed to this day in my ol' "J.Reedfan8" poster name days. Guy signed a baseball for me back in a B-Ham game for christ sake. :) Ah to be young and 16-17 again. :)

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13771

Hi Everyone!!! Even know im new on this board i don't consider it. I've been a guest on this board since about Feb. 2003 so I know who is who pretty much. I know usually Rex Hudler post about Minor League Prospects but I just wanted to chat about my favorite one Jeremy Reed. I'm still gotta get use to the posting stuff but i hope i'll get it soon. So here it is [url="http://www.theminorsfirst.com/tmf100/tmf100(2004).html"

http://www.theminorsfirst.com/tmf100/tmf100(2004).html[/url] by the way u guys rock!!! :headbang

My first was on November 15th, 2003. Wow I was a sophomore in high school, scary.

Do you guys remember when they did the anonymous drug testing close to the beginning of the year? Well, just about the whole White Sox team purposely failed by not taking the test, so that there would be the mandatory drug testing. So right there that is about 3% of baseball already from one team. By the way, good move by the sox, so Sosa can't use them anymore. No cork, no steroids, how will he hit 30 homers???

Well he hit more than 30 HRs after 2003, but I was right on the roids :)

b****in about Baseball tonite

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
I just watched, and they didnt mention the Sox hardly at all. Instead, they focused on how good the Cubs would be if Carlos Zambrano was their closer. What a crock.

May 4, 2007 - In response to the overreactors' fear of Buehrle's downfall

Yeah, I feel like too many people have lost confidence in Buehrle after just one bad season.

Just look at Roger Clemens' career stats. In '93 he finished with an ERA of 4.46, that's more than 2 points in addition to his ERA of the previous year when he put up a 2.41 ERA. Was he a miserable pitcher after that? Well he won 4 Cy Youngs after that, so you figure it out.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
May 4, 2007 - In response to the overreactors' fear of Buehrle's downfall

Just look at Roger Clemens' career stats. In '93 he finished with an ERA of 4.46, that's more than 2 points in addition to his ERA of the previous year when he put up a 2.41 ERA. Was he a miserable pitcher after that? Well he won 4 Cy Youngs after that, so you figure it out.

'roids. ;)