My thoughts on the NL East

DC23MVP

I posted this a couple days ago on The Batter's Eye.

The NL East is another good race going on with a lot of struggling teams. Here, I will try to evaluate the best teams of the NL East.

Standings:

1. Philadelphia Phillies: 39-36

2. Flordia Marlins: 41-39

3. New York Mets: 38-39

4. Atlanta Braves: 37-40

5. Washington Nationals: 22-54

The NL East is another close race, with the Phillies, and Mets struggling and the Marlins starting to heat up.

The Mets are a LOT better team then what they are playing right now, due to injuries, and once Reyes, Delgado, and possiblly even Beltran (if his injury isn't season ending) come back, expect the Mets to start playing a lot better.

The Phillies, I don't know. Losing Raul Ibanez hurts them, and Jimmy Rollins is playing terrible right now, even benched at times.

The Marlins started out red hot, then they cooled off considerably, and now are playing great baseball again led offensivley by Hanley Rameriz, and Josh Johnson pitching wise.

The Braves are still in the race, although they are going to need something to get done quickly, otherwise you can expect them to stay right around the .500 mark.

Nationals are like the Lions of football, always in last place. They are bad on all aspects.

Overall, I expect the Phildelphia Phillies to win 1st, with the Mets getting 2nd, and the Marlins 3rd. Braves and Nationals will follow 4th and 5th.

Best Hitting Team

1. Philadelphia Phillies

2. New York Mets

3. Florida Marlins

4. Atlanta Braves

5. Washington Nationals

I was very tempted to put the Mets 1st, just because when they are fully healthy, they do have a better offense then the Phillies, but since this is basically based on stats, I have to put the Phillies at #1. The Phillies scored 49 more runs then the Mets so far this season, and have hit more then 58 homers then the Mets. Yes, this probably has something to do with the fact that the Phillies play in a MUCH better hitters park then the Mets. And to all you Mets fans, I truley do think the Mets have a better offensive club then the Phillies when they are healthy, you can't beat a lineup that has Jose Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, Wright, Castilo etc. Again, this is based off of mainly stats and how they are performing up to this point.

The Marlins and Braves were very close to judge considering they were very similar in .BAA, .OBP, and R, but the Marlins have hit more then 20+ homers then the Braves this season, so I put the Marlins 3rd and Braves 4th, although it was close.

Best Pitching Team

1. Atlanta Braves

2. Forida Marlins

3. New York Mets

4. Philadelphia Phillies

5. Washington Nationals

This was another very tough decision for me. The Braves was pretty easy decision for me to make, they rank in the Top 10 in ERA, WHIP, .BAA, and K/BB ratio among ML teams. The Marlins and Mets was VERY tough. Both ranked near the same, but I really like the Marlins pitching staff better then the Mets. Josh Johnson is very underrated and even better then Johan Santana this season. The Mets rotation is pretty weak except for Johan, although I do think Maine is a very good pitcher when he's healthy, along with Oliver Perez. The bullpen are pretty close as well, but I have to give the advantage to the Marlins. Phillies are pretty bad considering there big park they play in.

Best Defensive Team (Note: I go by Team Errors and Fielding % for this)

1. Philadelphia Phillies

2. Atlanta Braves

3. New York Mets

4. Florida Marlins

5. Washington Nationals

Final Standings

1. Phillies

2. Mets

3. Marlins

4. Braves

5. Nationals

Overall, I think this race is going to come down to the wire. Should be a good one though.