Grief over celebrity deaths

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Jim Henson hit me pretty hard. The Muppets were such a huge and important part of my upbringing.

And sorry Tex, PSFJ and Critic, I shed a tear. I never met Jim Henson but he was in my house everyday for many years teaching me and making me laugh. And still does to this day.

I certainly understand that. And perhaps I will feel that connection to someone I never met. While not a celebrity, I know that a number of posters here would hit me very hard, even though I never "met" them. Hell, I've been crushed when someone here, who I really like and admired, felt I didn't like them. Perhaps silly schoolyard stuff, but that bothered me for weeks.

I'm trying to think of a celeb that could bring that emotion. It would have to be someone who was known for philanthropic works in addition to what made them famous. Probably the closest I came was Paul Simon (D)

I think the celebrity that hit me the hardest was Jim Valvano. I was in Jr. high and I remember being so impressed/awed by how he handled himself in light of his disease that was a death sentence. I am not a sappy person, but numerous times I have suggested to friends to watch his speech from the ESPYs. I hope that I can live my life with that much spirit as a healthy 30 year old, much less a man with a family who was dying.

I haven't personally grieved the death of a celebrity, but I figure there won't be another musician's death carrying this much attention (even if it's a natural death) until Paul McCartney. Probably the highest profile death of anyone in my generation. Lennon was before my time; only Princess Diana came close.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Jim Henson hit me pretty hard. The Muppets were such a huge and important part of my upbringing.

And sorry Tex, PSFJ and Critic, I shed a tear. I never met Jim Henson but he was in my house everyday for many years teaching me and making me laugh. And still does to this day.

I can understand and respect that. My comment was inspired by and directed mostly at the Michael Jackson mourners I saw convulsively sobbing on TV. I can't help but think that for many, their waterworks came on just as the camera lights did. I can be cynical, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their personal emotions or genuine expressions of grief.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
Me three. There is truth in what Donne wrote about "each man's death diminishes me," but I don't understand how people can get worked up to the point of tears over total strangers they know only through TV. Sad for their families? Sure. Disappointed at being deprived of their future artitistic contributions? OK. Upset over the injustice of the "good" dying young? I can see that. But these people being shown in hysterics over the "King of Pop" need to either get a life or find a more constructive way to earn their 15 minutes of televised fame. This is not an assassinated President, and all that that symbolically represents. This is a pop singer whose unorthodox lifestyle undoubtedly contributed to his own demise. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just don't get it.

Amen.... and where were all these mutha phuckers when Jackson was on trial for freakin' on boys? He dies and suddenly the records start selling again and people are talking about how he changed the world. GMAFB.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 05:02 AM)
Amen.... and where were all these mutha phuckers when Jackson was on trial for freakin' on boys? He dies and suddenly the records start selling again and people are talking about how he changed the world. GMAFB.

Time for someone to find the Triumph clip with all the Jackson fans outside the courthouse during his trial.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Can't find it...it was with all the people who would gather outside the courthouse during his trial dressed like him, etc.

I remember seeing it, but the numbers were nowhere close and celebs were nowhere to be found.

It's as if people can't even have feelings of their own any more and will bandwagon even around grief. Weird and sad.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)

Honestly, I am torn on this. I think Michael Jackson is one of the most unique situations we will ever witness. The guy was so incredibly talented in the 70's and 80's. So amazingly popular and transcending. As much as people want to hate Al Sharpton, he is correct - Michael Jackson brought people of all races and backgrounds together through his music. The way only music, or sports, or other amazing events can.

I was also a bit moved by the eulogy Brooke Shields gave. She and Michael Jackson both were so exploited as children, it seemed the relationship the two had together was really something pure and innocent, which was very much uncommon and a rarity in their lives.

I try to remember Michael Jackson as he was in the early eighties, when I worshipped him for his talents and coolness. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Despite the freakshow he became, there is no ignoring what he did for the world through his music. I think that was incredibly evident today, despite the fact that for most, only the good times were remembered.

The only time I got close to crying over a celebrity death was when Stiv Bator(s) died. He had such a HUGE influence on me musically (and style of dress) that it was a pretty harsh blow. In the years after though I have also come to find that he was actually one hell of a person also. You won't find a bad thing written about him anywhere. It just seems such a huge shame that the guy is gone, and that he died in such a pointless way.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
The only time I got close to crying over a celebrity death was when Stiv Bator(s) died. He had such a HUGE influence on me musically (and style of dress) that it was a pretty harsh blow. In the years after though I have also come to find that he was actually one hell of a person also. You won't find a bad thing written about him anywhere. It just seems such a huge shame that the guy is gone, and that he died in such a pointless way.

Kid, I don't think I've ever heard of a single person whose name you mentioned on this site.

Phil Hartman's and Walter Payton's deaths truly saddened me.

This is a very minor celebrity, but Merlin Santana's (he played Romeo on The Steve Harvey Show) death saddened me for how petty and stupid an issue it was over. Some underage girl tried to holler at him. He gave her no play, she then ran to some goons and claimed he raped her, and they killed him on some wannabe street justice. Real senseless stuff.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

Yeah, the smart money would have been betting heroin overdose, not hit by a taxi.

He was shacked up with Liv Tyler's mom for a while wasn't he? Was that before, during, or after Todd semi-adopted Liv?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Kid, I don't think I've ever heard of a single person whose name you mentioned on this site.

OT:

If you like punk music you need to check out the Dead Boys (Stiv Bators' band).

Under-appreciated band from the late 70's. Really good stuff.

I get real shaken up over big athletes that die unexpectedly. I once shed tears over Sean Taylor's passing - given, I was so drunk that I had puked that night - but I still didn't understand why a guy who was cleaning up his life had to go like that.

The biggest one that will get me is Frank. I'll get depressed when a few others from this past baseball generation go, even the steroid users, but I don't think any athlete's is going to hit me has hard as Frank's. He's the reason I'm on this board right now.