Dexter Carter

chisoxfan09

He seems to be doing well in A ball. Has 106 k' in 90 innings pitched with only 27 BB's. He has gone 7 innings in 3 outings so there is some evidence of stamina. He has a good upside with a good fastball. He also seems to have worked on his control so I wonder if he is ready for BHam? JPN?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
He seems to be doing well in A ball. Has 106 k' in 90 innings pitched with only 27 BB's. He has gone 7 innings in 3 outings so there is some evidence of stamina. He has a good upside with a good fastball. He also seems to have worked on his control so I wonder if he is ready for BHam? JPN?

Hell yeah, bring him on. He should have at least been promoted to Winston-Salem by now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
I'm wondering what the holdup is myself. He should at least be at High A right now.

Take a look at the Kanny pitchers as a whole - lots of guys doing very well there. I guess there's no room in W-S right now for them.

If he makes it to the big club he will be the first African-American since who to start for the Sox since...?

I honestly can't remember the last African-American to start for them. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone easy that started only a few times, but I can't really remember...

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
14 K's last night in 7 innings. I forsee a promotion next year to AA for half a season and then the rest of the year in Charlotte for a September callup. Hope it comes true.

No way, there is an entire rotation at Winston-Salem that deserves to get Birmingham call before this kid. Striking out a lot, but not dominating with ERA etc... Promotion to High A ball at Winston-Salem would be next step.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
If he makes it to the big club he will be the first African-American since who to start for the Sox since...?

I honestly can't remember the last African-American to start for them. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone easy that started only a few times, but I can't really remember...

James Baldwin

Baseball America is also wondering why Carter hasn't been moved up:

From their Hot Sheet:

Dexter Carter, rhp, White Sox: Carter dominated low Class A competition in his past two starts, posting a 23-2 K-BB mark in 15 innings. While he allowed four runs yesterday against Lakewood, he walked only one and struck out a season-high 14 batters. Whiffing batters in bunches is nothing new for the 22-year-old Carter, who on the season has a minor league-leading 120 strikeouts with 28 walks and a 3.62 ERA in 97 innings. But while righthander Dan Hudson (his college roommate and Pioneer League teammate last year) has already rocketed up to Double-A Birmingham, Carter has yet to budge from Kannapolis. It's a bit of mystery as to why not, given how rapidly other prospects are advancing up the White Sox' organizational ladder.

QUOTE (CSF @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

From their Hot Sheet:

I've said before, Kanny has a whole pile of pitchers who look like they have nothing left to prove in Low A. Dex Carter is probably #1 on that list, certainly among starters, but he's not the only one. Not enough room to move them all up.

By the way, the W-S rotation is:

Anthony Carter, 23 (who seems to be right where he should be right now, not promotion-ready)

Johnnie Lowe, 24 (same, not promotable, probably not a prospect though, but doing OK as a starter)

Jacob Rasner, 22 (who has been doing very well, maybe ready for a promotion, but no slot open in B-Ham)

Gregory Infante, turns 22 today (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!), (just got promoted to W-S, he's going nowhere for now)

Justin Edwards, 21 (just got promoted as well, and he's young)

The only one in there I'd want to have Dex replace is J-Lowe, who I suppose you could move to the pen. No one there looks like a demotion candidate, or release candidate, and no promotion opportunities exist. So what do you do?

You guys are giving me the strong impression that it's only a matter of time before KW deals away a pitcher or two from those levels.

I really would hope to see our home grown RH power pitchers make it for once. This includes Carter and Hudson.

QUOTE (CSF @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)

From their Hot Sheet:

I'm sure that they have their reasons for not moving him yet, they didn't just forget about him I promise you that. My guess would be that he's either A. not mentally ready yet and they don't want to crush his confidence, B. he's got a glitch in his mechanics that he's working on first, C. he's got a new pitch that he's working on or, D. there's a coach in Kanny that they really want him to work with for an extended period of time.

It's quite obviously not about his numbers/stuff because he's been dominating the Sally league, 120k's in 96ip, that's gnarly, especially considering his low bb rate.

Edited by bighurt4life

• 3 weeks later...