BJ Ryan signs with the Cubs

harfman77

The Jays released Ryan, and after DFAing Gobble the Sox could use another LHP in the pen if they want to eventually move Poreda into the rotation or down to the minors to pitch some more innings. Ryan was decent last year after his surgery but struggled this year, could be a buy low guy a la Dustin Hermanson. He could probably be had for cheap as Toronto is still on the hook for his contract.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
The Jays released Ryan, and after DFAing Gobble the Sox could use another LHP in the pen if they want to eventually move Poreda into the rotation or down to the minors to pitch some more innings. Ryan was decent last year after his surgery but struggled this year, could be a buy low guy a la Dustin Hermanson. He could probably be had for cheap as Toronto is still on the hook for his contract.

The answer is yes, Coop can fix him and no, they shouldn't pick him up.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
why not? let poreda go back down and start a game to get ready to take over for richard (if he remains ineffective) or contreras (if he gets hurt) since Colon is mia. If we add him to our pen, and he gets anywhere near where he onced was, we could have the best pen ive ever seen.

better than K-Rod, Putz and Wagner when they all get back to full strength?

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I dont see why any team wouldnt take a flier. It's like when they cut Thomas and he went to Oakland for the minimum. What is the risk? And whats the reward?

The risk is he sucks and you cut him. The reward is you have a dominant lefty closer throwing middle relief and setting up.

Unless he has serious arm trouble I'd imagine someone will offer more than the league minimum.

If we should pick up someone I would think Jonathan Van Every.

Van Every was projected to miss the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery in late June. He had a .364 batting average, one home run and three RBI in 11 at-bats with the Red Sox during a short stint in the big leagues earlier this season. The club will hope he makes it through the DFA process and returns to his role at Triple-A Pawtucket.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...e_activate.html

Our roster currently stands at 38 and Bartolo Colon might be shown the door soon, why not take a flyer on this guy and see what he has for next year?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
You have to at least inquire, he's got to be better than Gobble. Let Richard/Poreda start in AAA while you give Ryan a shot.

HAHA i added the thing in wikipedia about "bacon slayer"

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Why yes, Don Cooper does have a medical degree and can "fix" BJ Ryan.

Trade winds forum please?

Yes, and yes.

If they'll continue to refuse a trade winds sub-forum we should all band together and take it by force! And BTW I have no idea how we would do that. I guess it would involve saying "please" over and over like you have just done. So, please?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Looking at the front page, there are three trades/moves being talked about, two of which have direct White Sox connections. What is the big need for a whole forum for the one topic that doesn't have the White Sox involved in it in an official capacity?

So I, and others like myself, can start a ton of new threads without spamming the most important board on the site.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Unless he has serious arm trouble I'd imagine someone will offer more than the league minimum.

He'll get more. I'm just saying he is getting paid from Toronto, similar to Frank, so it's not going to cost an arm and a leg if people aren't diving all over him. If he wants to get back out there, he'll take nearly any offer I'd imagine.

There is no reason to hold out for 3-4 million and miss the entire season. You find a contender, sign with them for anything and then prove your worth so you can fetch a better contract this offseason.

If he had any brains he would do that.