The Military

BobDylan

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
Oh, I had absolutely no intention of trying to join. Haha, the idea of me even making it through a day of that training is hilarious. I just wondered if anyone here had personal experience with it.

lol well yeah everyone i know that has been through it says the same thing about it sucking badly but when you make it through its the best feeling in the world, and something you can wear with pride for the rest of yiour life

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
lol well yeah everyone i know that has been through it says the same thing about it sucking badly but when you make it through its the best feeling in the world, and something you can wear with pride for the rest of yiour life

welcome back FOP , long time since I seen you around these parts. Thank you for your service.

I was in the Air Force for 4 years and loved it. The pay was crap but the training, friends, and experiences were priceless.

No way I'd join the Army or Marines. They may offer you a bunch of loot up front but it's typically for infantry jobs and I think you know you're overqualified for that. The Navy has very high standards and is a top notch organization but, to me, the chance of being a on a freaking boat out in BFE for 3 months didn't sound very appealing.

The Air Force was about as close to a regular job as you could get. I was in satellite and wideband communications, a mobile unit which means we did some field work, but I'm still in a similar field today and doing pretty well for myself. Within many shops, you called superiors within a few levels by their first names, food was excellent compared to other services as was base housing, basic training sucked but it's a very short (compared to other branches) 6 weeks. Hours were 7-4 with a 1 hour lunch...you get all federal holidays and a pretty generous amount of vacation time (I can't remember the specific number of days off the top of my head).

Go and take your asvab through an Air Force recruiter, see how you score. If you score well enough you'll find yourself qualified for most any job (not a pilot though). Then, if you so choose, you go to the MEPS station where they conduct a hardcore physical including strength tests and the like. They use this information in conjunction with your asvab scores to let you know what you're qualified for. You'll also get to fill out a sheet listing the bases you'd prefer to be stationed as well as an opportunity to create a wishlist of jobs you qualify for. At this point, if you aren't satisfied with how everything is going, you can still back out.

Do you have a degree?