Can someone explain this to me?

JPN366

From Ozzie in regards to Colon...

"When he gets to Charlotte, Oney [Guillen] will call me to say he’s there."

Ummmm...why is Oney Guillen the line of communication between the Knights and Ozzie? Why not the manager Chris Chambliss or the pitching coach Richard Dotson? What possible role would Oney serve with Charlotte?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
From Ozzie in regards to Colon...

"When he gets to Charlotte, Oney [Guillen] will call me to say he’s there."

Ummmm...why is Oney Guillen the line of communication between the Knights and Ozzie? Why not the manager Chris Chambliss or the pitching coach Richard Dotson? What possible role would Oney serve with Charlotte?

I expect Oney was assigned to Charlotte after he graduated scout school, he probably does advanced reports for the team, and apart from that is the closest connection to Ozzie Guillen that anybody has in the organization.

Edited by Thunderbolt

tony posted this in the Quentin thread

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said his spy watching the Class AAA Charlotte Knights has delivered a sobering scouting report on rehabbing left fielder Carlos Quentin. Bottom line: Don't expect the 2008 MVP candidate back in the Sox' lineup anytime soon.

''I don't see him being here pretty soon,'' Guillen said of Quentin, who was 4-for-8 in his first three games with Charlotte before taking a day off Tuesday. ''Maybe after the All-Star break, that's my opinion. Some players, when they go to play in the minors, they can't wait to get out of there. But we aren't going to make that mistake again. We have to make sure he's ready to help us here.''

The Sox are being extra cautious in dealing with Quentin, who has been battling plantar fasciitis in his left foot, a nagging ailment that is expected to limit Quentin's playing time in the second half.

''We try to do the best we can to get him off the field a little bit,'' Guillen said. ''He won't come back here 100 percent. I talked to a couple of people down in the minor leagues. He's not running full speed right now. I want him to test his foot before he comes here.''

And just who is Guillen's spy in Charlotte? His son Oney, who is working with the Sox' baseball operations department and is watching the Knights.

''Oney told me, 'I don't think he can run right now, Dad,''' Guillen said. ''He can be honest. He knows what I need. He said he swings the bat well. Right now, he said he doesn't see him pushing hard enough to be up here.''

Quentin hasn't played for the Sox since May 25, but they are 24-16 without him.