Who should be the 5th starter after the ASB?

NorthSideSox72

Fifth Starter  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the fifth starter after the All Star Break?

• Clayton Richard
    • Aaron Poreda
    • Carlos Torres
    • Bartolo Colon
    • Lucas Harrell
    • Jack Egbert
    • None of the Above

If Colon has a breaking ball, he's the obvious choice. He did have a few pretty good starts before he went down. Freddy if he's ever ready, won't be for a while. If Poreda and Richard for Peavy would have happened and Peavy didn't get hurt, KW might have had to do some time. Poreda starting I don't think is a good idea right now.

i voted for Richard but i think if Colon has some good starts if/when get back that the spot is there for the taking. Otherwise, i ride it out with Richard. What is Poreda struggles. then you have 2 guys you can't count on. Poreda is staring to earn a couple more appearances as of late but i don't think he's ready to handle a full lineup.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Tough crowd today...the guy's wife just died tragically, didn't she?

Yeah I believe she did, but I voted for Pordea. If he's gonna be up here and Clayton is gonna keep pitching like crap, then why not give the rook a shot at it.

Carlos Torres.

Then think about making a small trade.

How much will Doug Davis cost? If it's a top prospect then hell no, because I wouldn't offer arb after the season despite the good year.

Bedard and Washburn might be too expensive. Washburn isn't going to get salary arb because of his contract so he's not worth the price, and our top spects are worth more than draft picks so no to Bedard.

Would the Rays still deal Jeff Niemann now, who is having a decent season? The Rays have lots of pitching behind him, even without Chef Boyardee aka Andy Sonnanstine on the team.

Can Coop fix Scott Olsen, Ian Snell, or Chien-Ming Wang?

Ian Kennedy's numbers in NY are horrid, but he still could be the next Slowey. Are the Yanks about ready to give up on him?

There might be some options. If we're going to have a bad fifth starter, I'd like a bad fifth starter who might be able to become a good 3rd or 4th starter in the future. And I don't want to give up the moon for said pitcher.

Bartolo Colon, if he is healthy enough. If not, Poreda. The Sox are already hoping that Colon can pitch on July 24th in the DH against the Tigers.

I had read a while ago that Richards had very bad stats in the minors when hitters saw him a 2nd time through the lineup, and that has been a problem as a starter (although not today when he got rocked from the beginning) so he needs to go back to the bullpen or to the minors, and work on his issues. Earlier in the season, he was ok as a 5-6th inning guy.

Colon, if healthy, was actually ok earlier this season. He's not going to give you more than 5-6 innings, but we're talking about a 5th starter here. I'm a bit nervous about using Poreda in that role, when he is so raw, and don't want to ruin what has to be high level of confidence, but, Colon may not be healthy enough, and Poreda may be our best option to fill that spot.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Sign me up for Roy Halladay.

As I am speaking to someone who makes continual absolutist statements, you should fully understand where I am going with this. I've never been more sure of anything on Soxtalk than I am of this:

The Sox will not trade for Halladay unless Toronto either pays his salary or they take back salary in return.

In other words, a trade between the White Sox and Toronto involving Roy Halladay between now and the end of the 2009 regular season is not happening.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
If Colon has a breaking ball, he's the obvious choice. He did have a few pretty good starts before he went down. Freddy if he's ever ready, won't be for a while. If Poreda and Richard for Peavy would have happened and Peavy didn't get hurt, KW might have had to do some time. Poreda starting I don't think is a good idea right now.

Well if Colon can pitch and is healthy, he's the obvious choice. I'm kind of banking on the idea of that not happening though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
As I am speaking to someone who makes continual absolutist statements, you should fully understand where I am going with this. I've never been more sure of anything on Soxtalk than I am of this:

The Sox will not trade for Halladay unless Toronto either pays his salary or they take back salary in return.

In other words, a trade between the White Sox and Toronto involving Roy Halladay between now and the end of the 2009 regular season is not happening.

I don't care what you say, I'm still holding out hope!!!!!

what happend to freddy garcia? he was sent to extended spring training when they signed him and i havent heard anything since. so they just wanted to do him a favor and give him a job and have no intentions for him to pitch for us? :huh

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
what happend to freddy garcia? he was sent to extended spring training when they signed him and i havent heard anything since. so they just wanted to do him a favor and give him a job and have no intentions for him to pitch for us? :huh

He has an ERA of 8.00 in AAA.