Colon

WSoxMatt

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
I remember the days of Rodney Bolton, Cris Clemons and Tom Fordham. Oh yeah.

And who can forget the Ken Hill experiment?

You beat me to Ken Hill.....I still remeber watching that game and he was oh so bad!

Well, at least Ken Hill used to be a REALLY good pitcher in his prime with the Expos and Cardinals.

Heck, I remember Steve Carlton starting games at the end of his career with the White Sox. Dale Sveum. Cory Snyder. That was REALLY desperation time.

I forgot Spanky Lavalliere from my earlier list of defensive catchers.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
ah yes...the game that got jerry manuel fired

Disagree.

It was the late August/early September home game that we had a huge lead and Jose Paniagua came in and almost single-handedly pulled the Twins back to life after we had the first two games in Chicago. I don't think we beat the Twins in late 2003 after that game, I'm pretty sure we were swept at their place and that was all she wrote.

That was the tipping point in that season...although some point to Torii Hunter/Jamie Burke (think that was 03 or 04).

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
They said he'd have to mix in his breaking ball to get back to the starting rotation. By all accounts, he was almost exclusively using his fastball during this Charlotte start. His ERA this year is deceptive. I give the guy credit for battling and hitting his spots with his fastball, but I don't think he has much left.

Do you think Poreda is going to develop a pitch between now and next year? Seems doubtful. Let's see how his stuff works in a starter's role now. Whee.

Reference to Colon's pitches: That is exactly what he has been told by Ozzie (and Don Cooper) "Bart my ole amigo You have to use more than a fastball that just ain't that fast anymore." If he can't throw a curve or slider or some other pitch than the fastball he isn't going to be effective at the major league level

Favorable scouting report on Bartolo Colon

By Mark Gonzales

MINNEAPOLIS - Bartolo Colon's five-inning outing Thursday night for Triple-A Charlotte was more encouraging than his April 23 outing against Baltimore, according to a major league source who witnessed both outings.

"He definitely threw more breaking pitches and change-ups," the source told the Tribune Friday after Colon pitched five innings of one-run ball against Triple-A Norfolk. "You could notice he was throwing more sliders and wasn't afraid to throw them to left-handers as well as right-handers."

The source was unaware that the Sox wanted Colon to throw more breaking pitches. Colon was tagged for five runs on eight hits and two walks without striking out a batter in a loss at Baltimore on April 23.

"He was throwing in the 88-to-90 (mph) range," the source added. "It looked like when he wanted to throw harder, he did. He was throwing more four-seam fastballs. I could tell because he was trying to raise the hitters' eye level."

Colon threw 40 of 65 pitches for strikes. He is scheduled to pitch seven innings Tuesday night for Class-A Kannapolis at Savannah. He remains in contention to pitch July 24 against Detroit.

The Sox haven't decided how they will align their rotation for the start of the second half, but Mark Buehrle and Jose Contreras remain contenders to start the first two games against Baltimore.

The Sox also requested waivers on left-handed reliever Jimmy Gobble for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man