Best Defenders In the Past 20 Years

Marky Mark

By Position, who in your opinion have been the best defenders by position who have played for the Sox (while they played for the Sox) in the last 20 years. And who do you think was overall #1. By defense, I mean all facets that come with it (i.e. range and speed, arm, fielding, good decision making). Twenty years ago I was four, so I'm not really qualified to answer this, but curious as to who you guys think belong in here.

C:

1B:

2B:

3B:

SS:

LF:

CF:

RF:

P:

#1:

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
By Position, who in your opinion have been the best defenders by position who have played for the Sox (while they played for the Sox) in the last 20 years. And who do you think was overall #1. By defense, I mean all facets that come with it (i.e. range and speed, arm, fielding, good decision making). Twenty years ago I was four, so I'm not really qualified to answer this, but curious as to who you guys think belong in here.

C:

1B:

2B:

3B:

SS:

LF:

CF:

RF:

P:

#1:

20 years ago I was 6 so I don't know how to answer a lot of these either.

I'd have to think it would be Uribe or Guillen at SS, Crede or Ventura at 3B and BA or Rowand in CF.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
ventura>crede

I've seen Ventura and Guillen play as well as Crede and Uribe. - Guillen could have never gone into the stands and caught that ball in the WS. Crede and Ventura are a near wash defensively, and I love Ventura.

I also considered Durham at second just for his range.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
I also considered Lance Johnson, Mike Cameron and Dave Gallagher in LF.

If you go back 30 years, I would have included Baines in RF.

Pre injury Baines was pretty damn sweet.

RF Sosa (when he first came up), Calderon, Dave Martinez

CF Lance Johson, Mike Cameron or Brian Anderson

LF Carlos Martinez (just kidding), ummm...hard to pick one, Raines wasn't that great either

C Karkovice or Joel Skinner

1B Greg Walker

2B Durham wasn't a very good defender, except for those balls into OF and down the foul lines like Ramirez...maybe Nix

SS Guillen and Uribe (tie)

3B Ventura over Crede

P Buehrle or Garland

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
C: Charles Johnson

1b: Paul Konerko (although its really only him and Thomas)

2b: Jayson Nix

SS: Juan Uribe

3b: Robin Ventura

LF: Tim Raines

CF: Mike Cameron

RF: Brian Anderson

Charles Johnson in the prime of his career, but not for that short half-season in 2000.

He was actually much better offensively (especially that season) and more so-so defensively than I expected. That reminds me, Miguel Olivo has to be considered a close 2nd to Karkovice/Skinner.

Sosa was awesome defensively when he first came up...with the only exception that he had so little control of his arm/throws, but he had an absolute rifle before he started getting bigger (a notch below Guerrero, Larry Walker, Dwight Evans and a bit better than Dye when he came up with ATL...maybe equal to Jose Guillen in the 1995-2000 time frame).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Charles Johnson in the prime of his career, but not for that short half-season in 2000.

He was actually much better offensively (especially that season) and more so-so defensively than I expected. That reminds me, Miguel Olivo has to be considered a close 2nd to Karkovice/Skinner.

Sosa was awesome defensively when he first came up...with the only exception that he had so little control of his arm/throws, but he had an absolute rifle before he started getting bigger (a notch below Guerrero, Larry Walker, Dwight Evans and a bit better than Dye when he came up with ATL...maybe equal to Jose Guillen in the 1995-2000 time frame).

C: Kark

1B: Squires

2B: Cora

SS: Guillen

3B: Ventura

LF: BA

CF: 1Dog

RF: Baines

P: Buehrle

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
C: Kark

1B: Squires

2B: Cora

SS: Guillen

3B: Ventura

LF: BA

CF: 1Dog

RF: Baines

P: Buehrle

I think Squires and Lamar Johnson (etc.) go too far back into the 70's/early 80's for the purposes of this poll....haha!

What's next? Worst Sox defensive players of the last 20 years? You know that Wilson Betemit would have to be on that list along with Dan Pasqua and Carlos Lee.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
I think Squires and Lamar Johnson (etc.) go too far back into the 70's/early 80's for the purposes of this poll....haha!

What's next? Worst Sox defensive players of the last 20 years? You know that Wilson Betemit would have to be on that list along with Dan Pasqua and Carlos Lee.

Okay, Carlos was no stud defensively, but he played in 148 games one year without committing an error and he had a fairly decent arm. Not saying he'd make anybody's all-defensive team but I don't think he was brutal.