Time to shop some relievers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Would love to have Endy Chavez type player....just not sure if his bat would hold up as an everyday player.

Pierre also comes to mind because of the Marlins connection with Castro and Pierre to Ozzie.

The sox have Pierre in the form of Pods.

I was thinking someone with upside, a young OF who was another teams top 10 prospect [like Brandon Allen's was the sox' #6] who could possibly be ready by Sept. But that would likely be a factor and ready to contribute in 2010.

The Marlins look like a potential trading partner, who need a closer type like Dotel. One guy who could be a fit for the sox [a LHB, who can play all 3 OF spots, who can play solid defense and has 5 tool potential] is Scott Cousins. He's only hitting .251/.314/.416 in AA. Yet he has hit since being drafted in the 3rd round in 2006. Low A-2007, .292/.358/.480; In High A, 2008, .304/.370/.513. He got in 91 Ab's in AA last year. He might fit in as a "buy low" type with his struggles in AA.

He was the Marlins #14 prospect by Baseball America. Here's a write up on him by a Marlins blog.

http://floridamarlinsminors.blogspot.com/2...tt-cousins.html

I like this quote: “this guy has easy loft power . . . this is Chipper Jones, this is Daryl Strawberry kind of easy-swing loft power. You get some guys that just power balls out with a hack swing, but this guy is loose.”

The sox need a few more power LHB's. Esp. ones that can play defense. Baseball America wrote this on him--"He's capable of playing all 3 OF positions with the range for CF and the arm strength and accuracy for RF"

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 07:07 AM)
The Marlins look like a potential trading partner, who need a closer type like Dotel. One guy who could be a fit for the sox [a LHB, who can play all 3 OF spots, who can play solid defense and has 5 tool potential] is Scott Cousins. He's only hitting .251/.314/.416 in AA. Yet he has hit since being drafted in the 3rd round in 2006. Low A-2007, .292/.358/.480; In High A, 2008, .304/.370/.513. He got in 91 Ab's in AA last year. He might fit in as a "buy low" type with his struggles in AA.

He was the Marlins #14 prospect by Baseball America. Here's a write up on him by a Marlins blog.

http://floridamarlinsminors.blogspot.com/2...tt-cousins.html

I like this quote: “this guy has easy loft power . . . this is Chipper Jones, this is Daryl Strawberry kind of easy-swing loft power. You get some guys that just power balls out with a hack swing, but this guy is loose.”

The sox need a few more power LHB's. Esp. ones that can play defense. Baseball America wrote this on him--"He's capable of playing all 3 OF positions with the range for CF and the arm strength and accuracy for RF"

That sounds interesting. I'm sure we could get some nice pieces for him if we actually shopped his name around.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 07:48 AM)
He has a very straight fastball, with decent velocity behind it, other than that he fails bring much to the table.

Yeah, he's not really an ideal closer and is having a s***ty year. His low BB rate is the reason for his success in the past and this year he's been missing the zone a lot. Even in his better years I would have a hard time trading a talent like Hermida for him, but I guess that's the value of a young reliever who is throwing strikes with a hard fastball. It just makes you wonder how much a guy like Adam Russell would be worth if he could ever locate that fastball and get his curve over. His numbers are a lot better in Charlotte this year though, and it's no surprise to see that K rate jump up with the BB rate getting cut down.