Getz consults Pods on hitting

southsider2k5

I like it. This is the type of player that Getz could be, so why not get advice from someone who does it well (when healthy)?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5406356.story

Batting adjustments pay off for Chicago White Sox's Chris Getz

He gets 4 hits, including 2-run double

July 10, 2009

Second baseman Chris Getz used a two-game break wisely before returning Thursday in an impressive manner.

Getz credited some changes in his batting style that led to the first four-hit game of his career.

"I had become kind of one dimensional with my approach, and I opened it up," said Getz, who hit a two-run double during the Sox's four-run rally in the third inning of a 10-8 loss to Cleveland.

"I talked to [scott] Podsednik about what he's trying to do -- stay inside the ball -- and I'm trying to work on a little bit of a different approach, similar to his."

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
This is a fantastic idea, Getz is a guy whose skillsets could match very well with some of Podsednik's strengths.

It really is, and if Getz could match Pods's production in his better years while playing 2B, that's just gravy.

Getz will never hit for deep power but he does hit more line drives than a typical slap hitter. He can push the ball into the gap.

When you look at extra-base hits that stay in the park (doubles+triples), he is second on the team with 16 (in 233 at-bats) only behind Paulie who has 18 in 299 at-bats.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
everyone takes things out on Walk, but really so many of these guys are apparently doing their own thing. You never hear about a really detailed compliment of how Walk has helped. As a corollary , i dont think we should blame him as violently as we sometimes do either.

Please god no replies to this post

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
everyone takes things out on Walk, but really so many of these guys are apparently doing their own thing. You never hear about a really detailed compliment of how Walk has helped. As a corollary , i dont think we should blame him as violently as we sometimes do either.

Its not unusual... Mark Buehrle gets lots of credit for working with John Danks, does that take away from Don Coopers job performance? Not a chance. And you do hear detailed compliments of Walk, they just don't get as much talk about them.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Getz is a real good looking player IMO. I think he plays good defense and is contributing offensively and shows speed. Plus he is a homegrown player. I like that fact a lot. ROY candidate maybe?

I'm a Chris Getz fan, but the end of this statement makes it the most homerific post I've ever seen. :lolhitting