Nix trying LF

southsider2k5

This tells me that Anderson or Wise is really in trouble if TCQ can come back, and most likely Anderson as a fellow righty.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Versatile Nix trying hand at left field

Rookie has played third, second, shortstop and right field

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

07/09/09 2:31 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The goals for Jayson Nix coming into his first Spring Training with the White Sox this past February were fairly basic and straight forward: play well enough to earn a roster spot and then set his sights on the starting job at second base.

At no point during that process did Nix envision himself as the team's starting left fielder, even if it was for one game in Thursday afternoon's series finale against Cleveland. But one of Nix's greatest strengths as a super-sub has been his ability to adjust to whatever manner in which manager Ozzie Guillen uses him.

"He's very professional, and this guy is great," said Guillen of Nix. "Very good about his job. He's ready to play every day, and when you are managing, that's the type of player you like."

"This is the first year I've played the outfield, but this is the first year I've felt comfortable out there," Nix said. "For the most part, everything that's come my way in the outfield and found me has felt fine and good."

Factoring in Thursday's White Sox home finale to the first half of the 2009 season, Nix has made 27 starts this season. Fifteen have come at second base, and the contest with Cleveland marked Nix's third start in left.

His defensive versatility has been crucial, with Nix also making starts at shortstop, third base and in right field. But Nix has provided a potent right-handed bat when in the lineup, as well.

Nix entered Thursday hitting just .230, but 12 of his 23 hits have gone for extra bases. His six home runs rank him second among American League rookies.

That original Nix plan for everyday play was hampered back in Arizona by a strained right quadriceps and Chris Getz's exceptional play. With six starts in the month of July, though, Nix has become a regular without a position.

His game preparation still has to leave him ready to play at a moment's notice.

"I found a good comfort zone at the plate, and getting at-bats on a consistent basis really helps," Nix said. "It's tough to be comfortable up there when you're not playing every day. I try to stay ready, and I feel like I've done a good job of that. But getting in there on a consistent basis helps you find a rhythm.

"During the game, watching and staying in the game has a lot to do with it. There are little things that, instead of shutting it off when you're not playing, to stay on. Try to find different ways and messing around with little stuff, but there are ways to stay ready.

"I've never had any games this year where I've gone in there and felt like a fish out of water," Nix added. "I felt like I've done a good job staying ready. But it has taken a little time."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
I will reiterate by disdain for this idea. I am not opposed to Nix being in the lineup everyday, but I feel like we’re seriously undermining his value by putting him in a less than premium defensive position.

id rather have his bat in the lineup instead of ba or wises but in the dome,i dont think its a good idea to have an outfield of nix pods and dye

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
I like Nix so much better as an infielder. More than Getz actually, if Nix could actually hit (he hasn't really proved he can't FWIW).

Agreed, there is no reason for him to be out there, even as bad as BA has been. It appears as if the writing is on the wall though with BA. I just don't want to think how bad our D would be without him out there, especially in the late innings, if he is not on this club down the stretch.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
I like Nix so much better as an infielder. More than Getz actually, if Nix could actually hit (he hasn't really proved he can't FWIW).

There's many reasons to like Nix. His upside is crazy high, his glove is very special. The only thing that's been holding him back for years is if he can actually hit a baseball. I've said that for a long time here. I liked him more than Getz in ST when they were battling out, though I still think you need a real player like Getz on your team. I mean Nix has a .740+ ops and he's only hitting like .230, that how much upside he COULD have.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
There's many reasons to like Nix. His upside is crazy high, his glove is very special. The only thing that's been holding him back for years is if he can actually hit a baseball. I've said that for a long time here. I liked him more than Getz in ST when they were battling out, though I still think you need a real player like Getz on your team. I mean Nix has a .740+ ops and he's only hitting like .230, that how much upside he COULD have.

In ST I kind of thought it was a push, I'd heard Nix was a plus defender but damn after actually getting to watch him, he is absolutely just f***ing fantastic out there. And not in the Alexei flashy style either, more like the "HOLY s***, DID YOU JUST SEE THAT" style. I really hope one day he becomes at least a league average hitter, his ceiling is actually higher than that but I doubt if he ever reaches that high.

And it's no knock on Getz, I like Getz and think he could potentially be pretty decent once he develops.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
I will reiterate by disdain for this idea. I am not opposed to Nix being in the lineup everyday, but I feel like we're seriously undermining his value by putting him in a less than premium defensive position.

Oh my god, please tell me you are joking.

I am so freaking sick of that argument. You put the best lineup out there, period, regardless of position.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
I'd argue that we could save about 10 plus runs per year if we had Nix and BA starting everyday for us at 2b and CF.. I say this as a guy who has nearly completely given up on BA.

What about all the runs we lose with BA in the lineup?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)

whoa now, you make it seem like we're moving Nix out there permanently. Right now his best role is as the utility guy. He'll mostly play 2B vs. lefties, but if he shows he can hit more consistently, we'll get him spot starts at SS, 3B, LF and maybe even RF.

The funny thing is, he has hit his best after not seeing live pitching for a week, and when he gets consistent starts, that's when he starts to not hit the ball. Very odd. But he does have a lot of upside on O.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
whoa now, you make it seem like we're moving Nix out there permanently. Right now his best role is as the utility guy. He'll mostly play 2B vs. lefties, but if he shows he can hit more consistently, we'll get him spot starts at SS, 3B, LF and maybe even RF.

The funny thing is, he has hit his best after not seeing live pitching for a week, and when he gets consistent starts, that's when he starts to not hit the ball. Very odd. But he does have a lot of upside on O.

I haven't actually said anything. I don't mind him being moved around to get playing time, etc. But having Nix in LF is like having the 2005 Uribe in LF, I don't think it's crazy to say I like him better as a middle infielder.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Oh my god, please tell me you are joking.

I am so freaking sick of that argument. You put the best lineup out there, period, regardless of position.

His value defensively? What's untrue about that statement? Plus defense 2B is better than plus defense in LF and I'm pretty sure that's what Thunderbolt was getting at.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
His value defensively? What's untrue about that statement? Plus defense 2B is better than plus defense in LF and I'm pretty sure that's what Thunderbolt was getting at.

His defensive value at 2B means nothing if Getz is the primary 2B vs. lefties. His role is as a utility player, value has means nothing, at least right now.

Of course he is at maximum value at 2B defensively, but he'll only play 2B if Getz is injured and vs. lefties.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
His defensive value at 2B means nothing if Getz is the primary 2B vs. lefties. His role is as a utility player, value has means nothing, at least right now.

Of course he is at maximum value at 2B defensively, but he'll only play 2B if Getz is injured and vs. lefties.

All I'm saying is that if Nix could hit better (like .265, keep the slugging, and a OBP of about .330) then I would like him much better as the everyday 2B and I'd like Getz in the utility role. For now I like Getz there.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
All I'm saying is that if Nix could hit better (like .265, keep the slugging, and a OBP of about .330) then I would like him much better as the everyday 2B and I'd like Getz in the utility role. For now I like Getz there.

Well if you meant that, say that ;)

I agree. But right now, you gotta get Nix AB's, regardless of position. Plus, Nix has a better skillset to play more positions. Getz is basically limited to 2B, LF, and maybe CF and 3B.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Well if you meant that, say that ;)

I agree. But right now, you gotta get Nix AB's, regardless of position. Plus, Nix has a better skillset to play more positions. Getz is basically limited to 2B, LF, and maybe CF and 3B.

If Getz and/or Nix can play CF, or even LF, for goodness sakes put them there tomorrow.