Do the Twins really own us in their park...? Myth?

caulfield12

2008 1-8

2007 4-5

2006 5-5

2005 6-3

2004 6-4

04-07 combined at HHH=21-17

2003 2-7

2002 3-7

2001 2-7

01-04 combined at HHH=7-21

2000 4-2

33-48 coming into 2009 season playing at the Metrodome

In other words, if we played a full season of away games at Minnesota (162 games), we should go 66-96.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
I sort of think so, but then again I get to watch a decent amount of Twins games and a lot of times they do the same thing against other teams, but the Twins also get a lot of breaks in their field.

Do they make their own breaks or are they lucky? Maybe a combination....

I think of the Twins as Martina Hingis and the White Sox of this decade as the Williams sisters, lol....well, maybe Pods, Garland and Slayer are cuter.

At any rate, the Twins don't make very many mistakes or beat themselves, but they can also get overwhelmed or dominated by a powerful team like the White Sox are/were/can be, especially at USCF.

The Twins actually got some really good defense tonight (this team is nothing like the 2001-2004 models) out of Harris, Cuddyer, etc. Unexpected places on the diamond. D. Young, Harris, Cuddyer and Morneau aren't very good defenders....the Twins used to put 9 players out there who were GG quality.

A bunt scoring the insurance run, Jenks giving up the run in a tie game or one we're trailing, not holding runners on base, the umpiring, not getting in runners from 3rd base and less than two outs...walking Nick Punto, pitching to Joe Mauer, it's like the Perfect Storm.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Do they make their own breaks or are they lucky? Maybe a combination....

I think of the Twins as Martina Hingis and the White Sox of this decade as the Williams sisters, lol....well, maybe Pods, Garland and Slayer are cuter.

At any rate, the Twins don't make very many mistakes or beat themselves, but they can also get overwhelmed or dominated by a powerful team like the White Sox are/were/can be, especially at USCF.

The Twins actually got some really good defense tonight (this team is nothing like the 2001-2004 models) out of Harris, Cuddyer, etc. Unexpected places on the diamond. D. Young, Harris, Cuddyer and Morneau aren't very good defenders....the Twins used to put 9 players out there who were GG quality.

A bunt scoring the insurance run, Jenks giving up the run in a tie game or one we're trailing, not holding runners on base, the umpiring, not getting in runners from 3rd base and less than two outs...walking Nick Punto, pitching to Joe Mauer, it's like the Perfect Storm.

I've always been on the luck bandwagon for the Twins, but they have been doing this basically the whole decade. At same time you'd think they're luck would run out if it is luck. Either way we'll find out shortly when they open their new outside, grass infield, less noise filled stadium.

We really suck in there. It would have been nice to win game one after the Yankees kicked their ass.

We're a hot team and still a very frustrating L.

I guess the upside is it was a good game and we came back from 4 down.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
I've always been on the luck bandwagon for the Twins, but they have been doing this basically the whole decade. At same time you'd think they're luck would run out if it is luck. Either way we'll find out shortly when they open their new outside, grass infield, less noise filled stadium.

I wouldn't contribute luck to their success at the HHH against us. Isn't it really that WE don't play well there instead of them dominating us there?

Its hard to play baseball when you assume this position before you walk on the field.

head_up_your_ass.jpg

We are a self fulfilling joke up there. The twins are not a spectacular team, they however are a fundamentally sound team. We go up there for years, kick the ball around, walk people and make mistakes. We put them in a position to win, and they step on our necks everytime. The thing that sickens me, is this cublike attitude from the organization of self pitty, and turning the HHH into the boogeyman's home. We lose games up there more because we play s***ty baseball more than the boogeyman. Its not a curse, its not the dome. Its s***ty baseball against a fundamentally sound team. The fact that everyone from the Manager, to the TV guys bend over and admit defeat is disgusting. Play hard, if they win so beat it. But stop stepping on your own dicks because you are scared of a f***ing cement s***hole.

And for the love of god, can we stop pitching to Mauer with men on. His contact rate is through the roof.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Its hard to play baseball when you assume this position before you walk on the field.

head_up_your_ass.jpg

We are a self fulfilling joke up there. The twins are not a spectacular team, they however are a fundamentally sound team. We go up there for years, kick the ball around, walk people and make mistakes. We put them in a position to win, and they step on our necks everytime. The thing that sickens me, is this cublike attitude from the organization of self pitty, and turning the HHH into the boogeyman's home. We lose games up there more because we play s***ty baseball more than the boogeyman. Its not a curse, its not the dome. Its s***ty baseball against a fundamentally sound team. The fact that everyone from the Manager, to the TV guys bend over and admit defeat is disgusting. Play hard, if they win so beat it. But stop stepping on your own dicks because you are scared of a f***ing cement s***hole.

And for the love of god, can we stop pitching to Mauer with men on. His contact rate is through the roof.

Well said...you ain't gonna win a bunch of games giving them runs like we did in that first inning.

Can't argue with a thing soutsideirish wrote. The way I see it is the only way we're ever going to win there is to get between 15-20 hits in a game and still we'll probalby just win 12-8 or something. We're not going to win if the game is tied or we're down a run after six innings there, that is for sure. I can't see our starters holding them down in the dome. Our only hope is to just have a game where we mash the ball from start to finish and how many games do any teams have like that? Thank God we won the coinflip last year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)

head_up_your_ass.jpg

exactly. its always used as an excuse and always mentioned befor we go up there. how about not mentioning any of that??

It's such an obvious angle the reporters have to bring it up and the players have to respond to it. The media has to go after the obvious story lines. AJ's response last night was better than some of the stuff we've heard before.

He said "So?" when the told him minnie has won nine of 10 against us there or 10 of 11.

Let's face it the odds of a sweep are huge right now.

Detroit won that 17 inning game up there and Minnesota then won the next two like that 17 inning heartbreaker was no big deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
The Twins need to hold a charity auction for pushing the button to implode the Metrodome. I know there would be some White Sox players open their pocketbooks for it.

I just noticed this post after I put it on your Facebook status. lol. I started saying this last year. Do we have any nuclear weapons our government can test or anything? Too bad it's in a populated area or it'd be perfect.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
I just noticed this post after I put it on your Facebook status. lol. I started saying this last year. Do we have any nuclear weapons our government can test or anything? Too bad it's in a populated area or it'd be perfect.

Test a North Korean one. They're small and liable to fizzle.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)

Would the south half of Minnesota really be THAT big of a loss?