Great Moral Victory Tonight

chisoxt

No moral victory. Not today.

Twins have not been very good this year. They are identical to us in their mediocrity.

Even though we came from 4 down we had way too many goats to consider it a moral victory.

Another reason it was no moral victory from Mark Gonzales of the Tribune:

The Sox issued six walks Friday night, and five resulted in runs, including the tie-breaker in the seventh inning that enabled Minnesota to take a 6-4 victory at the Metrodome.

The loss dropped the Sox 3 1/2 games behind American League Central leader Detroit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
Another reason it was no moral victory from Mark Gonzales of the Tribune:

The Sox issued six walks Friday night, and five resulted in runs, including the tie-breaker in the seventh inning that enabled Minnesota to take a 6-4 victory at the Metrodome.

The loss dropped the Sox 3 1/2 games behind American League Central leader Detroit.

Screw moral victories...what a s*** way to start the series by walking 4 in the first inning,really pathetic

We should put the Twins out of this race. Their pitching isnt so great

I don't think anybody will be putting the Twins out of the race. They're not going anywhere in our crappy division. I wish Detroit would start playing as poorly as everybody else.

I don't think there are many good losses. If moral victories meant anything, wouldn't last night's result been different considering the "moral victory" of making a 9-2 game, 9-8 the day before? Both losses were pretty much the same, get behind big, come back, Friday at least they tied it, but the bottom line is they ultimately lose. I prefer real over moral.

I think a moral victory out of last night's game is a reach anyway. Walk the first four batters of the game, they all score. Then tie it up only to pitch to a guy flirting with .400 with a 2-0 count and first base open with a guy hitting .167 lifetime against the guy on the mound on deck, and have him drive in the go ahead and eventual winning run, then give up an insurance run on a bunt everyone in the world knew was coming after giving the baserunner 3rd base as a gift.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
I don't think there are many good losses. If moral victories meant anything, wouldn't last night's result been different considering the "moral victory" of making a 9-2 game, 9-8 the day before? Both losses were pretty much the same, get behind big, come back, Friday at least they tied it, but the bottom line is they ultimately lose. I prefer real over moral.

I think a moral victory out of last night's game is a reach anyway. Walk the first four batters of the game, they all score. Then tie it up only to pitch to a guy flirting with .400 with a 2-0 count and first base open with a guy hitting .167 lifetime against the guy on the mound on deck, and have him drive in the go ahead and eventual winning run, then give up an insurance run on a bunt everyone in the world knew was coming after giving the baserunner 3rd base as a gift.

To be fair, Mauer was only 4-18 before that against Thornton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
To be fair, Mauer was only 4-18 before that against Thornton.

But he's hitting almost .400 this year, and even if you pitch to him, when it got to 2-0, grooving one right down the middle is a very odd attempt to get him out. That was one of those AB that if it was Jerry Manuel managing and the Sox let him go, Hawk would be talking about once in a while for years to come, mocking him. One of Hawk's pet phrases was definitely true last night, Minnesota didn't beat the White Sox, the White Sox beat themselves.

I just looked it up, Mauer is hitting .356 against LHP this year, but Morneau isn't bad either at .336. I wouldn't have pitched to Mauer in that situation and if Morneau hit the ball 9 miles I would just live with it. Obviously against Thornton and against LHP this year they are pretty similar, so if you're not going to walk Mauer at the beginning of the AB, if he gets into the "catbird" seat, you can't give him something he can hit hard. You have to put him on and take your chances with Morneau. If you fall way behind him, I don't think too many would be upset if you put him on as well, but letting a guy hitting .388 beat you in that situation with first base open usually doesn't happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't expect anything less from the Twins.

When it's all said and done, they're usually right there in the AL Central and I expect no less from them this season either, especially if Mauer can keep hitting the way he has.

And some of their starters such as Baker can certainy pitch better than what they've shown so far.

I am still pissed with Ozzie's rotation juggling. We could have won Thursday's game against a crappy Cleveland pitcher with Danks pitching. A bird in-hand is better than two in the bush. Instead we got nothing. Danks has struggled against the Twins, especially in Minnesota (6.19 ERA), so it wasn't as if we were really giving ourselves some favorable matchup. Richard would have been fine pitching in our regularly scheduled Metrodome losses to the Twins.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
I am still pissed with Ozzie's rotation juggling. We could have won Thursday's game against a crappy Cleveland pitcher with Danks pitching. A bird in-hand is better than two in the bush. Instead we got nothing. Danks has struggled against the Twins, especially in Minnesota (6.19 ERA), so it wasn't as if we were really giving ourselves some favorable matchup. Richard would have been fine pitching in our regularly scheduled Metrodome losses to the Twins.

You're reading my mind.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
But he's hitting almost .400 this year, and even if you pitch to him, when it got to 2-0, grooving one right down the middle is a very odd attempt to get him out. That was one of those AB that if it was Jerry Manuel managing and the Sox let him go, Hawk would be talking about once in a while for years to come, mocking him. One of Hawk's pet phrases was definitely true last night, Minnesota didn't beat the White Sox, the White Sox beat themselves.

I just looked it up, Mauer is hitting .356 against LHP this year, but Morneau isn't bad either at .336. I wouldn't have pitched to Mauer in that situation and if Morneau hit the ball 9 miles I would just live with it. Obviously against Thornton and against LHP this year they are pretty similar, so if you're not going to walk Mauer at the beginning of the AB, if he gets into the "catbird" seat, you can't give him something he can hit hard. You have to put him on and take your chances with Morneau. If you fall way behind him, I don't think too many would be upset if you put him on as well, but letting a guy hitting .388 beat you in that situation with first base open usually doesn't happen.

Besides we all know if Thornton pitches around Mauer, Morneau would have hit the ball 500 feet anyway. It really isn't going to be a good situation either way.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)

I'd much rather have my best players going against the best teams, especially when we are in a race with them. Besides if Danks would have pitched like that against Cleveland, he might not have won that game either.