7/11 Games

scenario

Gwinnett @ Charlotte

Whisler pitching. Gave up 3 runs early.

Cole Armstrong has his average up to .263. Pretty impressive given where he started.

Mississippi @ Birmingham

Hudson pitching... has a very solid outing going... 7 innings; 2 runs on 7 hits; 5 K's; 0 BB's.

Retherford 2 homeruns in 3 at-bats.

Birmingham up 3-2 in the 7th.

Barons win 4-3. Hudson with the win. McCulloch with the save.

McCulloch? Moved to the pen? I think that's the beginning of the end for him.

Lynchburg @ Winston-Salem

Infante stumbles in tonight's start giving up 5 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings with 7 walks and 2 K's.

Fortunately the offense woke up. Logan Johnson hit a 3-run homerun; Shelton hit a 2-run.

BTW, Logan Johnson's batting average is now in the .280's. :0

Lakewood @ Kannapolis

Kanny with a 6-run first.

Sauer with another solid start.

Kannapolis up 8-4 in the 8th.

Great Falls @ Orem

Just started.

We have a SoxTalker in attendance tonight... BigEdWalsh. So we should get some good feedback on the game later.

Bristol @ Kingsport

Bristol comes back from 4 down. Now tied 5-5 in the 7th.

Brady Shoemaker 4-4 including a homerun.

Edited by scenario

Cole still trying to show he has a pulse

I see we drafted Kuhn as a SS but hes in LF at A+, any chance he gets moved back to the middle? and what is his future, he seems devoid of any real power, but i've read he hits everything on a line.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Another powerful outing from Renowsky. Anyone know what pitches he throws?

I put together an AAP thread on him, that contains everything I could find (which isn't much). Plus control, velocity is a question mark because it apparently dropped his senior college year (but maybe is now back?).

He now has 60 K and 8 BB in 33.2 IP, not to mention a sub-1 WHIP, a sub-2 ERA, and sub-.200 AvgA. For all the people clamoring for Dex Carter to go to High A, Remenowsky couldn't put up much better numbers to ask for the same thing.

also, if anyone can find anything more than I did on this guy, please feel free to add it to his AAP thread.

Morel made an error tonight...only his 3rd all year. Pretty incredible. He's been hitting better after a bit of a lull...hopefully he can keep progressing as a hitter because it sure would be nice to have that kind of glove in the infield.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I have to say, even with it being very early, Phegley is really, really struggling.

He's played in what... 9 games?

And he played great in the first 4 games... (6 for 16.. .375)...

So, he's struggled for 5 games???

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Great to see the Sox finally moved McCulloch to the pen. About time.

Nope...the Barons rotation goes Shirek, Cassel, Ely, Hudson, McCulloch. McCulloch would have pitched tomorrow if there was a game. Thus, he was going to miss his next start, so they just gave him some work. Plus, had the Braves tied it up, he could pitch several innings and save the pen. They were also given a roster exemption to activate Lee Cruz from the DL with Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo unavailable.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Dan Hudson got to be one of our best pitching prospects to come through this system in a couple years. I loved watching Poreda make his way up, and who can forget the domination of B-Mac, but Hudson's done a hell of a job since his draft year.

He's having a year similar to BMac or Rauch from years before, and he should be a nice candidate for BA player of the year if he can keep it up.

As for Phegley, he's 1 for his last 20, and I'll admit that I have been very worried that he was a major reach. But we will see.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
He's having a year similar to BMac or Rauch from years before, and he should be a nice candidate for BA player of the year if he can keep it up.

As for Phegley, he's 1 for his last 20, and I'll admit that I have been very worried that he was a major reach. But we will see.

His defense was supposed to what made him a top pick. Even at the draft his offense was going to be what he needed to work on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)
His defense was supposed to what made him a top pick. Even at the draft his offense was going to be what he needed to work on.

No, it's the other way around. His defense is suspect and his offense was his strength in college.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:58 AM)
I have to say, even with it being very early, Phegley is really, really struggling.

He's hitting into extremely poor luck (.207 BABIP), making Phegley just another example of why batting average isn't useful as an evaluation of true ability. His strikeout rates (8.8% swinging strikeout and 0.0% called strikeout) are both great so he clearly hasn't been over matched at the plate. He does have a high fly ball rate thus far which would bring his expected batting average down some but it should also result in a very strong home run rate, which is obviously a good thing. Like other have said though, it's too small of a sample size to make any kind of true evaluation but I don't see anything to be worried about. In fact, if there's one thing I'm most certain about from this draft class it's Phegley's ability to hit, he was a very polished, advanced college hitter and those guys have by far the highest rate of reaching the Majors and turning into average or better players.

Hey! Just back from the Great Falls game. What a blast. Voyagers pulled out a squeaker coming from behind with 2 in the 9th. Jesus Avila narrowly missed a grand slam in the 9th. The ball just hooked foul. Most people including myself thought it was gone. Earlier in the game , also with bases loaded he crushed one that was quite a bit more foul but easily had home run distance. The 2 hitters that impressed me a lot were Nick Ciolli and Kyle Colligan. Colligan's two singles were absolute rockets off his bat. A late round draft pick Jake Nelson from New Mexico St. made his professional debut tonight and looked good throwing a scoreless inning walking one and fanning one.

Trailing by one in the 9th Orem led off the inning with a single. The second batter bunted, the ball hit the plate, Dubler who had come in to catch the 9th, snagged it fired to second, relayed to 1st.... DP!! I have no idea who he is, but Enrique Lechuga who pitched the 8th and 9th fanned the final batter. Game ova! Besides me and my kids there were a handful of other Sox fans there in Sox hats and shirts. We had fun. Back for game 2 tomorrow afternoon.

One other note: 8th round pick Ryan Buch came out to pitch (I don't remember what inning), warmed up and then went to the dugout and Dan Puls came out to replace him. I don't know what all that was about.

Hudson's lines are so similar to McCarthy, it's scary.

Fathom, I know McCarthy shot up thru the system quickly but what I can see of Huddie's upside reports and the box score his K rate is much higher. McCarthy was a sinker baller wasn't he? Or am I making the wrong comparison?

Edited by chisoxfan09