AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!

SoxFan1

I would say Crede was an average 3rd baseman who's legend was made grander by some clutch hits. He played good defense and had solid power, and that was evened out by his abysmal OBP and lack of speed. We should all respect how well he played down the stretch in 2005. I don't know what else needs to be said, except I hope he goes hitless for the rest of his career if he never plays for the Sox again.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

name='YASNY' date='Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:59 PM' post='1945938']

Another very insightful post. However, all I'm saying is that Crede deserves more respect than "He sucks." Any Sox fan should respect the man more than that.

2009 Joe Crede sucks. Late 2005/first half 2006 Joe Crede was very good. Overall/typical Joe Crede in Chicago (such as what he did for most of the first half of 2005) was pretty/slightly/somewhat below average and over valued.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
So is to completely believe in stats and to ignore the results on the field.

I watch almost every Sox game, I see what is happening very clearly. But our eyes can be very deceptive and very biased, even if we don't want them to be.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
Another very insightful post. However, all I'm saying is that Crede deserves more respect than "He sucks." Any Sox fan should respect the man more than that.

I wouldn't ever say anything like that in reference to the player unless the Sox had Milton Bradley or someone on the team. But... well let me put it this way. If Mark Buehrle (using him as an example since he's probably one of the best "character guys" on the Sox) only lasts 2 innings and gives up 8 earned runs, and you asked him what he thought of his performance, could you see him saying "what can I say, I sucked tonight." I could.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)
So is to completely believe in stats and to ignore the results on the field.

This statement contradicts itself though which is what I was saying earlier. Stats ARE results on the field. Isn't a win a stat?

note: I'm someone who rolls my eyes when I see a long-winded post or article with an unnecessary statistical breakdown to reach some kind of asinine conclusion too. I'm not a "stat" guy.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
I wouldn't ever say anything like that in reference to the player unless the Sox had Milton Bradley or someone on the team. But... well let me put it this way. If Mark Buehrle (using him as an example since he's probably one of the best "character guys" on the Sox) only lasts 2 innings and gives up 8 earned runs, and you asked him what he thought of his performance, could you see him saying "what can I say, I sucked tonight." I could.

I think you get where I'm coming from. Jaime Navarro sucked, because he was an asshole. But Buehrle can say that about his performance if he chooses. But for somebody that couldn't hold Joe Crede's jock strap on a MLB field to say he sucks is beyond ridiculous.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
I think you get where I'm coming from. Jaime Navarro sucked, because he was an asshole. But Buehrle can say that about his performance if he chooses. But for somebody that couldn't hold Joe Crede's jock strap on a MLB field to say he sucks is beyond ridiculous.

What? I couldn't hold Brent Lillibridge's jock strap on a MLB field. Does that mean he doesn't suck?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
What? I couldn't hold Brent Lillibridge's jock strap on a MLB field. Does that mean he doesn't suck?

lol I was going to say this, except using Andy Gonzalez. But yes YASNY I get where you're coming from.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)

Okay, I've got to give you that point. Maybe it's just that we define "suck" differently.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:14 AM)
You're probably right.

I think so. I'm thinking it's a generational thing. Younger folks replace the word "stink" with "suck". I consider the word "suck" a gross insult.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
I think so. I'm thinking it's a generational thing. Younger folks replace the word "stink" with "suck". I consider the word "suck" a gross insult.

Yeah, when I was a kid it wasn't something you'd hear 9-year old girls saying. Now it's no big deal. "Sucks" just means "this is not good."

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)

That's what I do, I never say stink.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
He's a low to mid 700's OPS guy who plays solid, but overrated defense (although I can't speak to what he's done defensively this year, I don't see a lot of Twins games). He may not suck, but he's pretty darn close, and anybody who loses a second of sleep over him being on the Twins is simply worrying too much about things.

Crede has been the best defensive third baseman in baseball this season. He has been a plus defender every year of his career, not gold glove caliber like many like to think, but damn good

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
Crede may not be the player he once was, and he wasn't great with us by any means. But the man played a huge role in the stretch and post season run in 2005 and I believe he deserves a bit more respect than just saying he sucks.

When the Sox hold a reunion of the team in 2025, you young guys will be hitting your feet for Joe Crede because you will remember what he did and it's very possible that 2005 may be the only World Series victory you have ever experienced at that time. I was 47, almost 48, years old when I saw my first Sox WS Championship. I appreciate those guys. Each and every one of them. Crede, more than most.

Good post. I never understood crapping on our 2005 guys, now or ever.

My opinion of Joe Crede will not change. I will appreciate what he did in 2005, but realize at the same time what kind of player he actually was during his time on the south side.

Neither will mine. One of my favorite Sox ever. Joe Crede does not suck.

Doesn't he have one more homer than Thome in this his suckiest season? Just sayin.

If you think baseball is all about stats, you are missing a very special game that happens in between the foul lines.

agreed. there are NO stats that can measure the scrappyness and grindyness of a player. after all, scrappyness wins championships.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:52 AM)
I missed this whole game for my bachelor party

is this a good thing?

Yes. You would have lost 3 years of life because of the stress.

And congrats! Hope you had a blast ala The Hangover.

Crede might not have had the greatest average in the world, he might not have had the greatest OBP, he certainly couldn't run, but he definitely was a better player than his stats indicated. When the Twins signed him, Gardenhire talked about him almost God-like. His teammates have always appreciated him, the pitchers loved him, and that means a lot. He didn't collect all his homer and rbi totals in routes. He didn't boot many balls in pressure situations(Although I do remember him dropping a Manny Ramirez pop up and the next pitch becoming a souvenier for someone in the bleachers). The guy came up big at the perfect time a lot more than most do with his same numbers. Not everyone who hits .250 with 20 homers and 75 rbi is equal. Rotisserie baseball isn't played on the field.