Goldstein on Viciedo: 'Very Disappointing'

Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
They had to have expected more for the $10M they gave him. The idea that he's out of shape and a neutral observer like Goldstein labeled him very disappointing is troubling to say the least.

I agree. He better get his butt in shape. You may be not become a great layer because your skills are not great, but it is unacceptable to be out of shape. His K rate is 5.54 per AB. That is not that bad.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
No I'm with you completely. He is 20 years old, in a foreign country that speaks another language, away from everything he is a familiar with and playing in AA. He is hitting .260 and has almost 50 RBI at the break. Yeah, I'd love to see his power numbers better but come on. How can this be construed as upsetting? Most 20 year olds are playing in college, rookie or low-A ball at this point in their careers. Viciedo was selected as an all-star in AA. I'm very content with how he has done this year. Obviously I expect an improvement next year but if he needs all year in the minors again that's fine. If he comes up in 2011 we still get him for 4 years.

He needs to be brought up in September to taste the big leagues. KW should say to him after that call up: Kid if you like to be in the big leagues you need to produce and work hard. He needs to be sent to AFL this year.

The only question I had about Viciedo is this rumor of not working hard from Cuba and now the USA. It is troubling to me.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
I agree. He better get his butt in shape. You may be not become a great layer because your skills are not great, but it is unacceptable to be out of shape. His K rate is 5.54 per AB. That is not that bad.

My wife thinks I'm a great layer.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 06:11 AM)
He needs to be brought up in September to taste the big leagues. KW should say to him after that call up: Kid if you like to be in the big leagues you need to produce and work hard. He needs to be sent to AFL this year.

The only question I had about Viciedo is this rumor of not working hard from Cuba and now the USA. It is troubling to me.

Going to the AFL this year should be a definite. AFL and Winter ball somewhere in Mexico wouldn't be bad to me either.

I don't want him called up to the big leagues until he earns it though. He puts up a 1.000 OPS in August and we'll talk about a callup. Until then, he has to earn it. He'd probably k 1/2 of his big league at bats if he was called up now.

Dan (Chicago): So many of my fellow white sox fans are so high on Dayan Viciedo (I assume because of the success of Alexei Ramirez) but I can't help but think that this guy is a borderline non-prospect. .302 obp and .357 slugging is miserable

Ben Badler: I think I said it before, but Double-A was an aggressive assignment for the guy. Let him play in the Carolina League, and if it ends up looking like too conservative of an assignment after a month or so, bring him up to Double-A. But right now I'm not sure he could even hit Carolina League pitching based on his Double-A performance.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
No I'm with you completely. He is 20 years old, in a foreign country that speaks another language, away from everything he is a familiar with and playing in AA. He is hitting .260 and has almost 50 RBI at the break. Yeah, I'd love to see his power numbers better but come on. How can this be construed as upsetting? Most 20 year olds are playing in college, rookie or low-A ball at this point in their careers. Viciedo was selected as an all-star in AA. I'm very content with how he has done this year. Obviously I expect an improvement next year but if he needs all year in the minors again that's fine. If he comes up in 2011 we still get him for 4 years.

Its all expectation. Many thought Viciedo would be on the White Sox this year tearing up the AL. You're right, putting everything into perspective he's really not doing any worse than could be expected. Its just like when Michael Jordan played baseball in Birmingham. Sure his numbers sucked, but what would anyone expect from a guy who hadn't played baseball at a higher level than high school and even that being 15 years ago. Putting it into perspective, Jordan did a lot better than 99.9% of people would have done.

Vicideo was paid a lot of money-more than Alexei Ramirez and AR went straight to the bigs and is doing nicely. I would think Cuban baseball is either AAA or better so the struggles have me a bit concrned and confused. But, he was picked for the Futures game so I am guessing someone other than just the Sox people see something in him that's positive

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Vicideo was paid a lot of money-more than Alexei Ramirez and AR went straight to the bigs and is doing nicely. I would think Cuban baseball is either AAA or better so the struggles have me a bit concrned and confused. But, he was picked for the Futures game so I am guessing someone other than just the Sox people see something in him that's positive

Ramirez was 26...Viciedo was 19

I think what is being missed most of all in the discussion of whether he is a bust or not is his progression from month to month. Everyone who labels him a disappointment looks at his numbers as a whole. Yes, absolutely they are disappointing at face value, but if you look at his start and where he was at the end of may, and compare that month to month up until right now, I think his numbers look damn impressive

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Ramirez was 26...Viciedo was 19

A few more comparisons...

Viciedo would be the 2nd youngest player on Kannapolis' roster right now...

- 5 months younger than Jared Mitchell

- 1 year younger than Josh Phegley

- 7 months younger than Jon Gilmore

- 2 months younger than Eduardo Escobar

- and only about 2 weeks older than Nevin Griffith... who we drafted out of high school two years ago.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

The Cuban league is actually quite a ways from AAA. It's a massive jump.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Why do people even get bent out of shape with minor league numbers?

Hes 20 years old and just defected from his home country.

Id say that there has to be some sort of adjustment period to being in this country, let alone playing baseball.

Its the cool thing to do...