7/12 Games

flavum

Winston-Salem over Lynchburg 13-3.

Nice outing for Rasner, backed up by 17 hits... including homeruns by Morel, Sanchez, and 2 by Seth Loman.

Viciedo and Flowers playing in the Futures Game.

Bristol @ Kingsport

Down 5-2 after 3 innings.

Great Falls @ Orem

Good guys up 4-2 in the 7th

Kanny has the day off.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)

Great find. Either we're gonna send Lucy/Armstrong down or trade one of them (probably trade Armstrong for a bag of balls to open up that roster spot).

Flowers is probably in line for a September promotion. Hopefully he rakes in Charlotte.

Birmingham is looking relatively weak now, that talent pool is losing a lot of good players.

Morel isn't lighting up the world, but quietly, he is having a very solid first full professional season. .269 Avg, 18 2B, 11 HR, 17 SB and a .785. He looks like he could be a future league-average 3rd baseman. Granted his average isn't high, but over a full-162 game season, his numbers project out very nicely. According to Baseball America, he has good range and a plus arm, so fielding isn't an issue for him. He could very well develop into a Joe Crede-type player.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Great Falls blew a 4-0 lead and lost 5-4. On the bright side, Matt Wickswat started and looked pretty good. He threw 5 shutout innings and worked out of several minor jams. He mixed in a lot of offspeed stuff with good effect. Tezak (3-5, .380) is a nice hitter who reminds me of Getz. Colligan was 0-4 but looked good in doing so. Johny Celis impresses too. He blasted a homer to right.

Sorry to say this but Todd Gossage is a waste of a roster spot. He was neither impressive at the plate or at first base.

Brett Graffy lost the game giving up 3 in the bottom of the 8th but was the victim of two seeing eye hits up the middle and a swinging bunt single which drove in the tying run. The go-ahead run scored on a fielders choice...a bang bang play at 1st which nearly ended the inning and would have left the game at a 4-4 tie.

Morel is a very good defender, and could probably even play SS. I like him, and if he can bat .260/.330/.450 in the majors with a bit of pop, speed (is a 10-20 SB threat), very good D, and the ability not to chase every single breaking pitch down and away... yay for us!

This is his scouting video from last year: http://www.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1...amp;bypass=true

He looks very fluid and natural out there in the field taking grounders. At bat, he looks alright, and he looks very natural running around the bases, he kinda just glides, doesn't look forced at all.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Morel isn't lighting up the world, but quietly, he is having a very solid first full professional season. .269 Avg, 18 2B, 11 HR, 17 SB and a .785. He looks like he could be a future league-average 3rd baseman. Granted his average isn't high, but over a full-162 game season, his numbers project out very nicely. According to Baseball America, he has good range and a plus arm, so fielding isn't an issue for him. He could very well develop into a Joe Crede-type player.

Yeah hes putting up a a very solid season, the only way he moves up is if Dayan gets moved off third base or gets promoted to AAA.

I think a meh, good, better and best situation for Morel is something like this: Joe Crede , Joe Randa, Edgardo Alfonozo and Jeff Cirillo.

I hope as he climbs the SB's remain part of his game and I hope in this second half he carrys over his hot hitting and finds himself in AA.

the '07 draft is looking like an amazing one.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)

A complete 180 from the 06' draft but that is very easy considering that disaster. Though... the 08' draft owns every other one in a long time and that had Morel in it.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
Yeah hes putting up a a very solid season, the only way he moves up is if Dayan gets moved off third base or gets promoted to AAA.

I think a meh, good, better and best situation for Morel is something like this: Joe Crede , Joe Randa, Edgardo Alfonozo and Jeff Cirillo.

I hope as he climbs the SB's remain part of his game and I hope in this second half he carrys over his hot hitting and finds himself in AA.

I assume you mean '08, cause '07 looks very mediocre, if that.