T-Flow Promoted

Heads22

So now, what happens with Armstrong and Lucy? Cole has been on fire with the bat lately, and has gotten his season numbers to a respectable level, which is impressive considering where they were in April and May. Lucy has had a few good games lately too, but he's behind Cole at the plate. Armstrong hits left, which would be more ideal to back up Flowers, but Lucy hits righty, more ideal to back up AJ.

Its possible one of them will be dealt or released. Its also possible Armstrong goes down to AA to get regular reps, so he can become Flowers' backup, and allow Lucy to work with Flowers on defense. Or, given Lucy is struggling so badly at the plate, maybe its Lucy who gets demoted.

???

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Flowers is really sure of himself, confident in his abilites. He's made enormous strides this season and has deserved every promotion he's gotten. This moves up his ETA by at least a couple of months if not sooner.

They wait to promote Flowers until AFTER the all star break, but not David Cook?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
One thing hasn't been mentioned... It looks like the sideburns WILL NOT accompany Flowers to Charlotte.

Thank God. Those sideburns were douche-tastic....

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 08:13 AM)
So now, what happens with Armstrong and Lucy? Cole has been on fire with the bat lately, and has gotten his season numbers to a respectable level, which is impressive considering where they were in April and May. Lucy has had a few good games lately too, but he's behind Cole at the plate. Armstrong hits left, which would be more ideal to back up Flowers, but Lucy hits righty, more ideal to back up AJ.

Its possible one of them will be dealt or released. Its also possible Armstrong goes down to AA to get regular reps, so he can become Flowers' backup, and allow Lucy to work with Flowers on defense. Or, given Lucy is struggling so badly at the plate, maybe its Lucy who gets demoted.

???

What happens with those two is obviously secondary.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm gonna guess Cole gets put on waivers or something. We likely want to clear that spot on the 40.

But, despite the fact that I am a pretty big Donny Lucy fan, I am starting to think it might be better to have Armstrong take the driver's seat for the backup job behind Flowers (over Lucy). He has hit better (not saying much), and hits the oppo side, which Ozzie will like.

im a huge tyler flowers fan.....305/.449/.556 is ridiculous...AJ has been way better than I expected this year, but I think after just a year or so in the bigs flowers will be getting on base at a higher clip and hitting the ball for more power.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Wow. Makes sense because of the bat, but I really hope we're going to let this kid's skills develop behind the plate before we call him up to the Sox as a C. I'd bet almost anything that we don't.

Let's hope Beckham doesn't get hurt or Ozzie will probably start Flowers at 3B. (I don't know if that should be in teal or not which is sad).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 08:13 AM)

???

Cubs need a catcher...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
The time before that, two weeks later, he was in the majors.

I can't help but feel a sense of trepidation. Especially considering it's the middle of July and the White Sox are pushing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
But, despite the fact that I am a pretty big Donny Lucy fan, I am starting to think it might be better to have Armstrong take the driver's seat for the backup job behind Flowers (over Lucy). He has hit better (not saying much), and hits the oppo side, which Ozzie will like.

If you have a right handed starting catcher, I don't think it really matters which way the backup bats. Sure it might be nice, but whatever. However, I wouldn't mind keeping Pierzynski around as a backup catcher/1B/DH/pinch hitter type, if he'd be willing to accept a reduced role. He just isn't very good behind the plate anymore.

One thing that I have been thinking about though is if having a spanish speaking backup catcher is more beneficial than we realize. If you're good, you'll be good no matter who's behind the plate. But it might help when your struggling and both the pitcher and catcher can both communicate better.