Mark Teahen anyone?

prochisox

BOSTON | The only certainty for Mark Teahen is that change is coming. What change and how much change are the great unknowns.

Teahen realizes his days of steady duty at third base are numbered with Alex Gordon poised to return from the disabled list. The increasing drumbeat of trade rumors could even spell an end to his time with the Royals.

He tries hard to take it all in stride.

“Do I wonder what happens?” Teahen repeated. “Not really. I think it’s inevitable that I’ll go back to bouncing around. Where I’ll get the most time, I don’t know.

“Obviously, I’ve enjoyed playing third and playing there every day, but it’s no mystery as to who is viewed as the future here at third base. I’ve just got to continue to do my job wherever I am, and let them figure out where that is going to be.”

That figures to be a little third when Gordon needs a break, a lot of time as a corner outfielder and maybe even a bit of first and second.

Unless he gets traded.

Several teams are tracking Teahen as the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline approaches. The Red Sox took a hard look this weekend in their search for alternatives in case Mike Lowell continues to struggle with his injured hip.

The Giants, White Sox, Cubs and Mets have also shown interest.

Teahen’s versatility is complemented this season by a .294 average and .350 on-base percentage.

Finances also play a part. Teahen is making $3.575 million with one more year of arbitration eligibility before qualifying for free-agency. That’s pricey for a player without a regular position for any team but especially the Royals.

“I understand,” Teahen said, “that being in Kansas City, which is a small market, that as guys start to make more money, they get talked about more in trades. That’s just the way it is.

“Until I have a set role — and maybe my set role is to bounce around — I can see how I’m in the mix of names that get thrown around.”

http://www.kansascity.com/baseball/story/1320039.html

Any thought? I wouldnt mind trading for him, he has been a thorn in our side for some time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never realy thought of the Sox jettisoning Fields until I read the article today. KW and Ozzie were like 110% committed to the guy at 3B and it didn't work out. But, we need a back up at 3B and 1B and he hasn't done too bad of a job. Unless Teahan is a far better fit I would just keep Fields for now. However, if he is part of a trade to bring us a quality starter then that's a different story.

i've always liked teahen...he's not great defensively but he certainly has experience all over the diamond (corner OF, 1b, 3b, 2b)....plus he's right in his prime and is still relatively cheap with 1 year of arb left....i think he underperformed his ability last year and I honestly think he's closer to the .350 obp with 20 HR type guy he has been this year

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
If Fields gets dealt, he'd be a good replacement for backup 3rd/1st/corner OF

You're 100% correct. It would be great to have a left-handed corner infielder/outfielder on our bench. I don't see the value Fields provides when Konerko, Beckham, Dye and Quentin are all righties.

However, I wouldn't trade much to get him.

You're 100% correct. It would be great to have a left-handed corner infielder/outfielder on our bench. I don't see the value Fields provides when Konerko, Beckham, Dye and Quentin are all righties.

However, I wouldn't trade much to get him.

How about Betemit straight up for Teahan?? :D

Moore will get the best value for him possible I would've thought a week ago. That was until they made that deal for Betancourt.

If we can get Teahan for minimal. And by minimal - I want to hear a name I've never heard of because he is so miniscule in the grand scheme of things for our organization.

Anything else - I'd rather just stand pat with Beckham, Alexi, Getz. Depth would be nice but we don't have a talent-rich enough farm to deal our better prospects for "depth". Our farm is very good. But our top-tier talent has moved up and whats left down there isn't enticing enough to land a Halladay so no reason to further downsize it. We just dealt a top 5 prospect of ours for Pena.

Teahen has a 18.7 VORP, which would be second-best on the Sox behind JD (28.3). That would be a huge upgrade. He can play 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, and RF. He could give JD, PK, and Thome some much needed days off down the stretch.

I think that if he can be had for a reasonable price it makes a lot of sense. He could immediately start at 3B and allow Beckham to move to 2B, pushing Getz into a UTIL role that he is well suited for. He can also spell PK, CQ, and JD, giving the Ozzie a lot more lineup flexibility. Teahen could be a solid run producer in this lineup. Teahen buys another year for Morel/Viciendo and adds more pop at 2B by putting Beckham there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Teahen=Joe Randa Lite with more versatility but less RBI punch

I remember when he was drafted the A's thought he'd be the next Jason Giambi. He was a guy whose power was supposed to come along with more development. It's never really happened, but he has turned into a very valuable guy.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I think that if he can be had for a reasonable price it makes a lot of sense. He could immediately start at 3B and allow Beckham to move to 2B, pushing Getz into a UTIL role that he is well suited for. He can also spell PK, CQ, and JD, giving the Ozzie a lot more lineup flexibility. Teahen could be a solid run producer in this lineup. Teahen buys another year for Morel/Viciendo and adds more pop at 2B by putting Beckham there.

How is Getz "well suited" to a UTIL role when he can only play 1 position? Thats what Nix is for.

I like Teahan, would be a solid option around the diamond. He could get time in LF to ease Q along, he could play some 3B, 2B, be the backup 1B, etc. And he ain't a bad hitter who might do better in a change of scenery.

The fact we are in the same division doesn't mean anything cause the Royals know they won't be competing for a while, and Teahan isn't some stud they will regret forever for trading away.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I remember when he was drafted the A's thought he'd be the next Jason Giambi. He was a guy whose power was supposed to come along with more development. It's never really happened, but he has turned into a very valuable guy.

There turned out to be a big flaw in projecting future power development based on how Jason Giambi's power developed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
There turned out to be a big flaw in projecting future power development based on how Jason Giambi's power developed.

So, are you saying if we bring Teahan in, load him up on PED's, we got ourselves a late 90's/early 00's Jason Giambi on our hands?

Interesting.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
So, are you saying if we bring Teahan in, load him up on PED's, we got ourselves a late 90's/early 00's Jason Giambi on our hands?

Interesting.

I seriously wonder if Giambi didn't wind up casually hurting the A's scouting efforts. IIRC there's actually a blurb in Moneyball about drafting someone because he had a body type like Giambi and his power might develop the same way.