Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

For all the talk about the grievances, Versteeg is the only one left that can still take advantage of it, all the other guys signed.

Does anybody know if they have Hossa jerseys/shirts for sale anywhere in Chicago yet? I've looked online and it seems like they dont have them yet.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
For all the talk about the grievances, Versteeg is the only one left that can still take advantage of it, all the other guys signed.

Does anybody know if they have Hossa jerseys/shirts for sale anywhere in Chicago yet? I've looked online and it seems like they dont have them yet.

The one in Benton Harbor is closed. The guy at the one in Merrillville told me he just ordered 15 Hossa jerseys.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)

Well, if the arbiter ruled against the Hawks, I'm sure the guys who signed could opt to negate their contracts and test the market.

I don't think they would, though - players seem to like what's going on here.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
If Steeger signs, that puts us over the cap, no? Unless, the deal is severely backloaded, which wouldn't make sense. Regardless, someone has got to go. Please someone want Campbell.

Like I told Chimpy earlier, this either means there will be big shake ups coming, or we'll see something small like the moving of Sopel and go forward with what we have. Dumping Sopel's deal would put us right back under the cap if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
Like I told Chimpy earlier, this either means there will be big shake ups coming, or we'll see something small like the moving of Sopel and go forward with what we have. Dumping Sopel's deal would put us right back under the cap if I'm not mistaken.

Unloading Sopel is just the FIRST salvo of many things that it will take to keep this franchise sustainable past next year.

Counting Sopel's 2 million, we have roughly 16 million to spend next year on AT LEAST 7 players (and 3 are Keith, Toews, and Kane). This ASSUMEs the salary cap isn't going to be reduced (a long rumor).

16 million to sign 'the big 3' and at least 4 role players (players UFA or RFA next year include Ladd, Eager, Burish, Madden, Hjmarlson, Hendry). Much as I love Ladd and Eager, they may be replaced by cheaper players from the farm (Jacob Dowell and Akim Aliu for example). We have nothing on the farm at Defense that is ready behind Hammer and Hendry. Lalonde and Denis-Pepin are not ready yet.

So you figure we have to resign Hammer and Hendry. Depending on if he plays in Chicago this year, Hendry could be had for cheap...Hammer's performance dictates his salary...he doesn't promise to be a big scorer from the blueline so initially we could likely get value for him and it's possible we could sign both Hendry and Hammer for somewhere around 2 mill combined.

That's a best case situation. That leaves 14 million for the big 3 and the remaining two forwards. I argue 14 million won't even sniff at retaining Kane, Toews and Keith...2 at the best. Then you have to figure replacing the other two forwars will cost something.

Basically the math does not add up...Tallon has much work to do...Campbell isn't tradeable, no one wants that boondoggle salary, Huet is a bit more tradeable, but how much so?

No, we're stuck with them both so the next logical step is to move popular, skilled players who are pricey, but not priced so assininely...Patrick Sharp for example...Dustin Byfuglien for example. I don't want to be unloading these guys, but that is exactly what it's going to come to...either one (or more) of them go or one of the big 3 will get a RFA offer sheet and be gone.

"We were late filing, something we haven't done in the past," Tallon said after the third day of prospects camp at Johnny's Ice House. "For a couple reasons we were a little late. We should have filed earlier. It'll never happen again." Tallon admitted the club was embarrassed by the front-office miscue and took the blame for it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-070809.article

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
"We were late filing, something we haven't done in the past," Tallon said after the third day of prospects camp at Johnny's Ice House. "For a couple reasons we were a little late. We should have filed earlier. It'll never happen again." Tallon admitted the club was embarrassed by the front-office miscue and took the blame for it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-070809.article

Sure it won't, because your ass will be fired soon enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
At this stage of his career, I really doubt it. Pretty much all of the two ways are fringe guys or kids.

Those rules are thrown out in the offseason though. You have til like 3 days before opening day for official rosters and you can put whoever down in the ahl if they have 1 way contracts, and even if it was during the season they could send him down he would just have to clear waivers.

TSN is reporting Red Wings RFA forward Jiri Hudler has signed a contract with Dynamo Moscow. Hudler is only 25 and scored 23 goals last season. It's the 5th Red Wings player to bail this off season, Hossa, Samuelsson, Kopecky, and goalie Ty Conklin.

Edited by Sec101Row1

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
TSN is reporting Red Wings RFA forward Jiri Hucler has signed a contract with Dynamo Moscow. Hudler is only 25 and scored 23 goals last season. It's the 5th Red Wings player to bail this off season, Hossa, Samuelsson, Kopecky, and goalie Ty Conklin.

They actually might suck next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
They actually might suck next year.

A key injury to a guy like Zetterberg or Datsyuk for an extended period of time could very well signal some suckage. Otherwise, I think they'll be fine. Obviously not as good as this past season, but still a playoff team.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
A key injury to a guy like Zetterberg or Datsyuk for an extended period of time could very well signal some suckage. Otherwise, I think they'll be fine. Obviously not as good as this past season, but still a playoff team.

Yes.

It opens the door, however, for the Hawks to win the Central.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Unloading Sopel is just the FIRST salvo of many things that it will take to keep this franchise sustainable past next year.

Counting Sopel's 2 million, we have roughly 16 million to spend next year on AT LEAST 7 players (and 3 are Keith, Toews, and Kane). This ASSUMEs the salary cap isn't going to be reduced (a long rumor).

16 million to sign 'the big 3' and at least 4 role players (players UFA or RFA next year include Ladd, Eager, Burish, Madden, Hjmarlson, Hendry). Much as I love Ladd and Eager, they may be replaced by cheaper players from the farm (Jacob Dowell and Akim Aliu for example). We have nothing on the farm at Defense that is ready behind Hammer and Hendry. Lalonde and Denis-Pepin are not ready yet.

So you figure we have to resign Hammer and Hendry. Depending on if he plays in Chicago this year, Hendry could be had for cheap...Hammer's performance dictates his salary...he doesn't promise to be a big scorer from the blueline so initially we could likely get value for him and it's possible we could sign both Hendry and Hammer for somewhere around 2 mill combined.

That's a best case situation. That leaves 14 million for the big 3 and the remaining two forwards. I argue 14 million won't even sniff at retaining Kane, Toews and Keith...2 at the best. Then you have to figure replacing the other two forwars will cost something.

Basically the math does not add up...Tallon has much work to do...Campbell isn't tradeable, no one wants that boondoggle salary, Huet is a bit more tradeable, but how much so?

No, we're stuck with them both so the next logical step is to move popular, skilled players who are pricey, but not priced so assininely...Patrick Sharp for example...Dustin Byfuglien for example. I don't want to be unloading these guys, but that is exactly what it's going to come to...either one (or more) of them go or one of the big 3 will get a RFA offer sheet and be gone.

A few things...

First, how much do you expect it to cost to re-sign Toews, Keith and Kane? If you don't think $14M is even close to what they will command, what is?

I'm personally guessing that between the three of them they will command around $18M max. Toews will be re-signed no matter what. If someone offer sheets Kane and wants to give him big money he can take it. However, remember that an offer sheet signing hinges on the player signing it as well. If this offseason is any indication, the players here like whats going on and might take below market value to stay with the club.

Also, I would prefer keeping Toews and Keith no matter what. Kane, I'm definitely more flexible on. He is a dynamic scorer, however I feel he is one dimensional and the cap relief + draft picks would definitely ease the loss of him.

Also, anybody is tradeable in the NHL, including Brian Campbell. You say his contract is a boondoggle and he won't be traded. However the same thing was said about Brad Richards and his insane contract with Tampa....Scott Gomez, he will never get traded with his huge contract from the Rangers...but he was. The Hawks can always sweeten up a deal with draft picks or prospects/other players if they really need to move BC.

I think Campbell to Atlanta is still a distinct possibility.

They want to show Kovalchuk that they can win now so that they can re-sign him long - term, and they were our major competition for BC last off-season.