Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
Those rules are thrown out in the offseason though. You have til like 3 days before opening day for official rosters and you can put whoever down in the ahl if they have 1 way contracts, and even if it was during the season they could send him down he would just have to clear waivers.

I think for salary cap purposes anyone on a one way contract counts towards the cap no matter what.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
I think for salary cap purposes anyone on a one way contract counts towards the cap no matter what.

No, they don't. If necessary, they can bury a contract in the AHL and it won't count towards the cap. They will have to pay the salary but not count it towards the cap.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
No, they don't. If necessary, they can bury a contract in the AHL and it won't count towards the cap. They will have to pay the salary but not count it towards the cap.

Correct, but if the recall the player from the AHL and a team grabs him, the Hawks pay for half. Like the Avery from Dallas to the Rangers. You don't to send players down to get rid of a contract because other player won't want to sign with you. Also a lot of players have no movement clauses so you can't send them down.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Correct, but if the recall the player from the AHL and a team grabs him, the Hawks pay for half. Like the Avery from Dallas to the Rangers. You don't to send players down to get rid of a contract because other player won't want to sign with you. Also a lot of players have no movement clauses so you can't send them down.

It would be Brent Sopel, a third (mayyyybe second) pairing defenseman. It isn't like we are sending Campbell down to the AHL to bury him. I doubt any FA's would even blink when considering coming here if Sopel was sent to the minors.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)

There are some other rules too it but I am not sure to what they are. Cam Barker started last season in the minors because his cap number (~$2.5m) didn't fit their cap. I am sure he would have been grabbed by some team who would only have to pay $1.25m for him.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
There are some other rules too it but I am not sure to what they are. Cam Barker started last season in the minors because his cap number (~$2.5m) didn't fit their cap. I am sure he would have been grabbed by some team who would only have to pay $1.25m for him.

He had a 2 way contract

Eklund News from Chicago soon...

Eklund I won't go with this until it is 100%. I dont report these sorts of rumors.

Eklund If this move really happens in Chicago I am VERY against it.

Eklund Awaiting confirmation on Blackhawks news. The second I can say, I will. Sorry. the best I can do in good conscious.

:huh

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Its Eklund and he is normally wrong about everything.

Yeah, he reported that mystery 3 way a week or 2 ago that no one knew anything about and no move ever happened.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
http://gohabs.freeforums.org/eklund-says-t5981.html

"Meanwhile, the Canadiens are talking to the Blackhawks about a deal that would send "two top line players, one foreward and one d-man" to Montreal."

They mention Sopel on the site but he isn't a top line player. He'd be a third line defenseman on a lot of teams at best. Maybe Keith.

As for the forward.. um I couldn't even try to speculate.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
They mention Sopel on the site but he isn't a top line player. He'd be a third line defenseman on a lot of teams at best. Maybe Keith.

I am thinking Barker and Sharp....not exactly top line guys....but I couldn't imagine who else they would deal..

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)

And what exactly would the Hawks be getting back? I'm tired of Eklund.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
I am thinking Barker and Sharp....not exactly top line guys....but I couldn't imagine who else they would deal..

I would have brought up Barker but I agree about him not being a top liner plus he just signed a new deal. My logic is Keith will be up soon and maybe they don't think they can afford him and Kane and Toews. Trade him now where they can get huge value.

Sharp would have been the forward I brought up but he just fits so well here and seems like someone they'd have to keep. Maybe Buff? He played like a top two liner forward in the playoffs. No Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland so who else? Gotta be Buff or Sharp.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I would have brought up Barker but I agree about him not being a top liner plus he just signed a new deal. My logic is Keith will be up soon and maybe they don't think they can afford him and Kane and Toews. Trade him now where they can get huge value.

Sharp would have been the forward I brought up but he just fits so well here and seems like someone they'd have to keep. Maybe Buff? He played like a top two liner forward in the playoffs. No Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland so who else? Gotta be Buff or Sharp.

The top line players part might be wishful thinking for Montreal as well...or their idea of "top line" is different than ours.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
The top line players part might be wishful thinking for Montreal as well...or their idea of "top line" is different than ours.

I could see the true comment being 'top line potential" and that could give you Buff and Barker. I feel like you're reading my mind though.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
I could see the true comment being 'top line potential" and that could give you Buff and Barker. I feel like you're reading my mind though.

Keep in mind though this is another Ek rumor... I just noticed it myself. lol. So it will probably not happen anyway but still interesting to discuss.