Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

I have to say it is very odd to let him do all of the negotiating with FA's like Hossa Kopecky and Madden, only to fire him a week or so later. How many baseball GMs would be fired after signing 3 major free agents like that, even WITH his colossal RFA paperwork screwup. Jerry Angelo basically did the same thing with Warrick Holdman and D'Wayne Bates and he didnt get fired for it.

Im not saying that he didnt need to be fired, I just dont understand why they would let him carry on with his job through free agency and then give him the ax

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I have to say it is very odd to let him do all of the negotiating with FA's like Hossa Kopecky and Madden, only to fire him a week or so later.

They didn't plan on firing him until he screwed up the mailings.

Couple of interesting bits from Barry Rozner's column;

It didn't help that Tallon has been telling people around the league - or having ex-Hawks employee Rick Dudley, a Tallon pal, tell people around the league - that McDonough was a nightmare to work for and blaming the team president for the signings of Campbell and Huet.

That kind of stuff gets around fast, and people all around the league have been talking about how dysfunctional the Hawks' front office had become, with so many voices pulling in so many different directions.

I think ultimately the Campbell and Huet signings were the ones that really helped Tallon cost his job more than anything, although he was probably pressured to make those signings because he knew he had to win the Stanley Cup to keep his job.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
The term that has been used more than once is the Hawks have "Too many Chefs in the kitchen". Too many voices can create problems, and I think you may have seen that. McD has done some great things for this organization, but I don't like him making hockey decisions, at all.

He should stick to what he does best and that's make the Blackhawks more marketable, increase the crowds etc. which he's already done a great job of.

We'll see how Stan Bowman does.

One thing though, we've bring griping quite a bit about the contracts being dealt out, well Bowman has been in charge of writing those contracts apparently under Tallon, so that creates an interesting little dynamic going forward especially with our cap problems.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
What do Alphonso Soriano and Brian Campbell have in common?

They were both given horrible contracts by lousy GM's, and the GM's in turn blamed John McDonough for their stupidity? That would be my answer, although I will say the front office situation for the Hawks right now is a bit concerning.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
I see Huet going (for cap relief) and a guy like Curtis Joseph signed for a 1 year run until the 2 young goalies take over

The hawks would jump at that opportunity... problem is, nobody will take Huet and the 3 years left on his deal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
I have to say it is very odd to let him do all of the negotiating with FA's like Hossa Kopecky and Madden, only to fire him a week or so later. How many baseball GMs would be fired after signing 3 major free agents like that, even WITH his colossal RFA paperwork screwup. Jerry Angelo basically did the same thing with Warrick Holdman and D'Wayne Bates and he didnt get fired for it.

Im not saying that he didnt need to be fired, I just dont understand why they would let him carry on with his job through free agency and then give him the ax

I wonder how much he had to do with those signings?

Remember how everyone said "Dale finally figured out how to work the cap" when the Hossa deal was announced?

Maybe he didn't = maybe Stan/Scotty Bowman did.

From Havlat's Twitter... easy big guy.

I guess everyone saw what happened to Dale....yes, the story is starting to come out but it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Lot's of people are telling me to stay quiet but shouldn't the fans know the truth? It's your loyalty, season ticket money and emotions here

What do you people think? Interested to know your thoughts.

Just so everyone begins to understand, Dale was like a 2nd father to me.

Want to be clear. I loved my time in Chicago but moved on. Very excited about Minny,going to give everything I have to the Wild.

By telling truth, don't want people to think I'm bitter. Everyone in Minn has been awesome, they believe in me and I won't let them down

He's still pissed. I don't know if there's any truth to this stuff, but what is going on in the front office? I'm thinking the Hawks just wanted the old regime out and some folks got upset about that.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I wonder how much he had to do with those signings?

Remember how everyone said "Dale finally figured out how to work the cap" when the Hossa deal was announced?

Maybe he didn't = maybe Stan/Scotty Bowman did.

Makes sense to me. Detroit is the master of the salary cap.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I think the Hawks should really reign in McD... he has way too much say in player personal and for a guy who admitted when he got the job he knew nothing about Hockey.. that's a bit scary to think he is making some of these choices...

How do we know for sure he is making all of these choices? I don't think anyone posting online or on message boards really has any clue as to the inner workings of the Hawks.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
How do we know for sure he is making all of these choices? I don't think anyone posting online or on message boards really has any clue as to the inner workings of the Hawks.

While this is true there have been rumors that Tallon has stated working with McD has been a nightmare and that he has overridden him on player moves....either way if McD is involved in any of those moves they need to stop it. If he isn't then its moot.

Sh*t, meet fan.

TSN link

What Led to Chicago's Front-Office Struggle?

Sentiment - bordering on outrage - best describes how many NHL people responded to the news of Dale Tallon's dismissal as general manager of the Chicago Blackhawks.

However, anyone shocked by this move by team president John McDonough didn't pay attention to the constant speculation of Tallon's demise at varying points of the season.

Some close to the organization believe McDonough was looking for an opportunity to make his move which was made very difficult by Chicago's trip to the western conference final and a season most around the league would consider a great success.

There's no question the Blackhawks' recent fumble with qualifying offers (that weren't filed on time for the team's restricted free agents) was an enormous unforced error and while it has been suggested Tallon wasn't responsible for the blunder, as GM he took responsibility.

Was this mistake - as costly as it turned out to be - really his undoing?

What we know is there is a groundswell of sympathy for Tallon, who, upon learning his fate, was also handed a two-year contract to act as an advisor at the same rate of pay he was earning as Chicago's general manager.

This groundswell also extends to former Blackhawks forward Martin Havlat, who - through the direct link of Twitter - continues to tease Hawks fans with suggestive tweets that indicate Dale Tallon's firing was very predictable. "Tip of the iceberg," Havlat wrote in one tweet. In another, he asked, "shouldn't fans know the truth?"

Shortly after that, Havlat's Twitter account crashed because of an overload of responses.

Yes, Chicago Blackhawks fans want to know the truth.

They want to know what Havlat believes led to Tallon's firing.

Hawks fans want to understand how a negotiation that lasted better than three months, focused on keeping Havlat a Hawk long term and involved his agent Allan Walsh, Tallon and now Chicago's newest GM, Stan Bowman, mysteriously eroded.

Aside from reaching out via Twitter, Havlat has been silent and wants to move on and focus on his new home and opportunity with the Minnesota Wild. However, Havlat also wants to clear the air and set the record straight and has offered his thoughts exclusively to TSN.ca on a number of issues he observed while in Chicago, starting with his failed negotiation.

"My negotiation with Chicago was not between Dale and my agent, it was between Dale and McDonough," Havlat said "Why? Because McDonough couldn't stand that Dale was so successful and getting the credit for building the Hawks from a last place team to making the Conference Final in three short years. Remember, we were also the youngest team in the NHL last year."

"I was too closely identified with Dale," he continued. "McDonough knew long ago he was going to fire Dale. [steve9347 comment: No sh*t, so did everyone else] He wanted someone he could claim as his own He wanted to stand up at the convention and claim credit for signing this guy or that guy."

Havlat's candor won't be easily accepted by the Blackhawks, and there may be claims of this being nothing more than the backlash of a jilted player, but Havlat's appreciation for Dale Tallon is what drove him to speak up mere hours after Tallon's firing was confirmed.

"Dale and I were very close and I stand for loyalty. The players loved Dale and they are with him. Every single player on that team is with Dale. I still talk to the guys all the time, hockey players know a phony when they see one."

"I was part of a very special team but that team doesn't exist anymore. I am really disappointed that Rocky Wirtz would let something like this happen," Havlat told TSN.ca.

Havlat's parting request follows up on a tweet sent on Tuesday. A challenge for the Blackhawks faithful who may share his views on Chicago's future.

"It's up to the fans now to be heard on this. If you care about the direction of the team, do something about it," Havlat concluded.

That's powerful stuff from a player who loved Chicago, loved the Blackhawks organization, and clearly has a deep connection with Dale Tallon, now the former general manager.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm no expert but I don't want my marketing guys making my hockey decisions.

I'm a marketing guy and I could make good hockey decisions!

On a serious note... he's not just some marketing guy, he's the TEAM PRESIDENT. In that role, he gets his f***ing say.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
I'm a marketing guy and I could make good hockey decisions!

On a serious note... he's not just some marketing guy, he's the TEAM PRESIDENT. In that role, he gets his f***ing say.

The point is he doesn't know much more about hockey than me or at least that was the case when he took the job and I highly doubt he became an expert with the ability to make personnel decisions in the past two years or so.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
The point is he doesn't know much more about hockey than me or at least that was the case when he took the job and I highly doubt he became an expert with the ability to make personnel decisions in the past two years or so.

Yeah, but as President, he still gets his say. Take the bad with the good I guess?