Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Kane never had to take any tests because there was no rule that he had to go to college before he entered the NHL.

Personally I find theft and assault worse than cheating, but thats just me.

Ya, this is pathetic. If true, a big f*** You goes out to Kane and he should get booed out of arenas everywhere. What a jag.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm far from a Kane fan, and most people that read this thread probably know that, but that is taking it a little too far.

1. He is a 20 year old kid. While not a reason to be a douche, we all have done stupid things at that age, while sober, let alone intoxicated.

2.The cab drivers lawyer came out today and said this has been blown out of proportion. You would expect to hear that out of the lawyer for Kane, but not the cab driver. It may not be as bad as we all think

Is he a D-bag for even being in this situation? Ya, he is. However, if his act stays clean for a while(like I expect it to), it needs to be let go at some point.

How can you not see right through that?

What I don't understand about this whole thing is why did he want change in the first place? Apparently he can't afford to tip a cabbie $1.20. If I'm paying a cab fare like that, I give the guy $15 and say "thanks." I don't want change, unless I'm a cheap ass bastard (and that's coming from a broke college student).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:49 AM)
What I don't understand about this whole thing is why did he want change in the first place? Apparently he can't afford to tip a cabbie $1.20. If I'm paying a cab fare like that, I give the guy $15 and say "thanks." I don't want change, unless I'm a cheap ass bastard (and that's coming from a broke college student).

My guess is they took offense to being locked in the cab until they paid, so there was no way they were going to tip the guy.

Still, though, you chalk the 20 cents up to a bad experience and you don't hit the guy.

FYI, innocent until proven guilty. I have avoided commenting on this subject until more was known. Kane's lawyer has come out just this morning on ESPN1000 talking about irrefutable proof that the cab driver was not struck by the Kane boys. I'm waiting for more as we go on, but I tend to not believe that a multi-millionaire like Kane would hit someone over 20 cents.

Hell, we don't even know if he was drinking yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Update: just listened to it.

- No alcohol involved

- Cab driver has said nothing about pressing charges, just wants money

- Pat Kane did not touch the cab driver

Also the driver locked the guys in the cab, didnt have a valid drivers license and has an arrest record.

But, keep on keepin on with calling Kane a thug and hoping he doesnt get re-signed folks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Also the driver locked the guys in the cab, didnt have a valid drivers license and has an arrest record.

But, keep on keepin on with calling Kane a thug and hoping he doesnt get re-signed folks.

Who called Kane a Thug? I only said he is, if the story is accurate.

Also, If the Cabbie is getting money, you better believe Kane put his hands on him. Too many blanks in this story.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Who called Kane a Thug? I only said he is, if the story is accurate.

Also, If the Cabbie is getting money, you better believe Kane put his hands on him. Too many blanks in this story.

Last I saw, the Cabbie is going to be lucky if he doesnt face charges, I dont see any payoffs in his future. He locked the doors of the cab which is unlawful imprisonment which deems any acts of self defense legal. Second he didnt even have a valid drives license which makes it unlawful for him to drive a cab or operate as a licensed cab operator, therefore his asking for a fare in the first place was illegal.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Last I saw, the Cabbie is going to be lucky if he doesnt face charges, I dont see any payoffs in his future. He locked the doors of the cab which is unlawful imprisonment which deems any acts of self defense legal. Second he didnt even have a valid drives license which makes it unlawful for him to drive a cab or operate as a licensed cab operator, therefore his asking for a fare in the first place was illegal.

If the Cabbie gets no money, then I know for sure Kane is innocent. I'll be a little suspicious if any payoffs took place.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

Im generally one of the most pro-defendant people on this site, but in this case I just cant find it in my heart to exonerate Kane.

Yesterday I actually misinterpreted the article and thought that it was Kane's attorney who stated it had been blow out of proportion (the comments just made no sense if he was the Plaintiff's attorney), but once I actually understood the article I told people that the cab driver must either A) Have done something wrong or B) Have already been paid off.

I think what the cab driver did though, does not give Kane an excuse to attack him.

He locked the doors of the cab which is unlawful imprisonment which deems any acts of self defense legal

Care to cite NY case law that states that?

Im not a NY attorney so I dont know if thats true or not, I do know that there is a merchants exception to "false imprisonment", so I actually was not 100% sure whether or not the cab driver has a legal right to hold some one if they refuse to pay the fare (in my opinion its the equivalent of theft, and if a merchant can hold some one for a reasonable amount of time if they believe theft occurred, it makes sense that a cab driver can do the same.)

But Im just not sure thats accurate.

As for not being properly licensed, that would once again be an issue for the State of NY and/or City of Buffalo to decide.

At the end of the day there are very few instances where you can legitimately attack some one without provocation. If Kane gets off, he should be thankful.

The cab driver made a mistake by driving without a valid license, but that does not mean Kane had the right to attack him. The false imprisonment issue is not as clear as people want to make it out to be, and it would require actually going through NY case law to see if there has been a case where a cab driver has temporarily held the passenger for failing to pay a fare and whether or not that was considered an exception. The next step would then be to see what the law says in regards to self defense in cases of false imprisonment.

I think it sets a bad example regardless, but then again I take cabs 5+ times a week and on a $5 fare I generally give at least $1. So maybe its just the cheapness thats bothering me.

By the time this is over, the cabbie will have tried to run Kane over, only to crash and have Patrick pull him out of his burning cab (and that's where the facial scratches will have come from). Kane also will have tried to give 20 cents back to the cabbie after the coins fell out of the cabbie's pocket during the rescue.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Rock,

Thanks for taking the time to actually make an argument and then support it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-081109.article

I cant find it in the article, and the writer of the article does not seem to be an attorney so Im not sure how much weight his interpretation carries.

Should I also reference my sources professor? Like I said, go pick up a copy, I didnt read it online, I read it over eggs and breakfast potatoes at Wishbone.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
By the time this is over, the cabbie will have tried to run Kane over, only to crash and have Patrick pull him out of his burning cab (and that's where the facial scratches will have come from). Kane also will have tried to give 20 cents back to the cabbie after the coins fell out of the cabbie's pocket during the rescue.

All while dangling through the Red Wings D for an OT goal.