Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
I want to suggest you are joking but I'm unsure if this is true! :lolhitting

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...amp;name=rogers

Jack be nimble

Skille's status has him with Hawks one day, IceHogs the next

October 12, 2009, 1:13 PM

By: Jesse Rogers

Jack Skille must feel like a yo-yo. First he's up, then he's down, now back up again. But for how long? Not even he is sure.

Jack Skille flirted with the idea of playing for the league minimum to avoid his back-and-forth status.

Skille looked like a sure thing to make the team out of training camp after Adam Burish went down, but things changed when the math was done. Even Joel Quenneville changed his tune from one day to the next implying that Skille's solid camp had earned him a spot, but then stating "financial concerns" would play a part in training camp cuts.

"It was a matter of salary cap space," said Skille. "My salary sent them over at the time."

When Dave Bolland and Ben Eager were declared out for last Thursday's game against Detroit, Bryan Bickell was recalled from Rockford.

"I knew that was a cap space issue as well. His salary is a bit lower than mine," Skille explained.

Finally, some space opened up when Aaron Johnson was traded, Radek Smolenak was claimed off waivers, and Eager was put on injured reserve. But it still wasn't enough for Skille to stay for good.

Every day he's on the Blackhawks, his salary counts against the cap, but every day he's in Rockford, it doesn't. So Sunday he was sent down and Monday brought back up. He could not practice with the Hawks on Sunday and he wasn't going to join the IceHogs for one day so he had to work out on his own. And that's the way it'll be until something changes.

"I can't say for sure how long that will last," Quenneville said after the morning practice. "That's his situation right now."

Skille even tried looking into re-working his contract.

"Its funny, I talked to my agent and said I would play for the league minimum," said Skille. "I was serious, but I pretty much knew that wasn't going to be allowed."

The league minimum is still more than what he would make in the minors, so he would be better off with a lower contract that would keep him in the NHL. Sound frustrating? It is.

"I was talking to my parents just today and said if I knew back in the day this was going happen, I would have signed for the league minimum then," Skille said. "It's frustrating, but like I said in training camp, you have to block it out. Right now I have an opportunity with Eager out to prove myself for the next couple weeks, at least."

And then who knows, if the calculator says so, it's back to the minors or maybe there's some wiggle room. Skille is sure of one thing:

"That salary cap is going to be haunting me the whole season."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
It would never happen, but I don't think because Rocky wouldn't pay. You just can't do that to a big name free agent. The reputation the Hawks would acquire around the league isn't one you would want to have.

While that is normally true, when someone is playing as horrible as Huet has.. dont you think other players will see it as justified? Not too mention I think long run as long as you offer them money nobody is going to care what you did in the past.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
The Score mentioned that the Hawks last Penalty Shot goal was in 1987. Does anyone know if that is the longest current drought?

i heard that on the way to work this morning too and thought it couldnt be right. A quick Yahoo search turned up that April 11, 2009, Dusty Buffs made a penalty shot against the Red Wings in Detroit. Actually won the game with 28 seconds left in the 3rd. That same article says that last penalty shot before that was Alexei Zhamnov vs. Buffalo on 12/13/02. Maybe it is supposed to be penalty shot goal at home???

actually, just found this link with all of their penalty shots. Troy Murray in 1987 was the last made penalty shot at home

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/history/penaltyshots.php

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
i heard that on the way to work this morning too and thought it couldnt be right. A quick Yahoo search turned up that April 11, 2009, Dusty Buffs made a penalty shot against the Red Wings in Detroit. Actually won the game with 28 seconds left in the 3rd. That same article says that last penalty shot before that was Alexei Zhamnov vs. Buffalo on 12/13/02. Maybe it is supposed to be penalty shot goal at home???

actually, just found this link with all of their penalty shots. Troy Murray in 1987 was the last made penalty shot at home

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)

Yeah, they just ran the graphic on SportsRise. 21 straight misses at home for the Hawks.

I do not understand the hate for Huet. Yes, he got off to bad starts each of the last two years, but so has the guy who wears our "C." I guess we need to dump both of them immediately to have any chance at the Cup.

Goalies are like closers; they can run hot and cold, and both need to get regular, consistent work to be in top form. Huet has not gotten that here. Once he does, he will be fine; maybe not great, but good enough.

Huet is a goalie who will look s***tier than most when rusty; several games at the beginning of the last two seasons and his first playoff game against the Wings after Khabby got hurt are prime examples, but given their circumstances, I think they just stick out in people's memories. Last year, with the team off to a bad start, the coaching change, and the luxury of having a "back-up" the caliber of Khabby, he understandably never got a chance to really get going. However, in the final, OT playoff loss against the Wings he was stand-on-your-head spectacular. He will be good enough.

Career Stats going into this season:

Goalie A: 2.67 GAA .908 SV% (Reg. Season)

2.40 GAA .917 SV% (Playoffs)

Goalie B: 2.45 GAA .917 SV% (Reg. Season)

2.73 GAA .917 SV% (Playoffs)

Any guesses?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Huet's Blackhawks career has been beyond disappointing and bad.

I guess "disappointing" is a term that's relative to your individual expectations, so I can't really argue with you there; for the money and the resulting cap problems for the team, he has been a disappointment..

But check out these stats from last season:

Goalie A: 2.67 GAA .912 SV%

Goalie B: 2.53 GAA .909 SV%

Any guesses here?

Hint: If either one is "beyond bad," its still more than "good enough."

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
I do not understand the hate for Huet. Yes, he got off to bad starts each of the last two years, but so has the guy who wears our "C." I guess we need to dump both of them immediately to have any chance at the Cup.

LOL, did you really just compare Toews to Huet?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
LOL, did you really just compare Toews to Huet?

Just suggesting something else for people to gripe and fret about over a team that's 4-1-1 and tied for its conference lead in points.

Some people seem to really like that here.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Well since you keep harping it so badly, B is obviously Huet.

Yes, in both posts.

Goalie A in the first comparison is Khabby. He's been around a lot longer, but he and Huet have very similar career stats.

Goalie A in the second compairson is Marc Andre-Fleury, the guy who won the Stanley Cup (you know, that thing we'll never sniff because of our horrible goaltending).