Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
ss2k5,

That's interesting info you have about the money it saves them when Skille isn't on the roster and how he's the only Hawk they can send down without going through waivers. I believe you, but just out of curiousity, have a link to where you read that?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,2279020.story

So it's not like they could just do it with anyone. While the article said he is making the trip to Rockford, I have heard otherwise, but that really isn't important. He seems ok with, and actually has played well the last two games, so right now it seems to be fine.

Skille's alternative is to stay in Rockford for a month or two, and I am sure he understands that, which is why he is fine with this arrangement. As I understand it, only players who have two way contracts do not have to clear waivers to be sent down to the minors.

Even taking the doubters approach to this, who else is there on the Hawks that could possibly fit the description of being a two way player? Most of the young kids have signed their contracts, like Kane and Toews. Versteeg got a nice extension in the off-season. Maybe Brouwer, Bolland or Hjalmarsson? I am guessing the first two are definite no's because of how many different years they have had call ups.

He is indeed making the trips to Rockford. He has to practice with the club for it to count. He called into Waddle & Silvy on 90 East heading back from Rockford this morning. He said he doesn't mind, and he'd rather do that than not be on the roster at all. Waddle & Silvy promised to pay for a limo to and from Rockford after his next goal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
He is indeed making the trips to Rockford. He has to practice with the club for it to count. He called into Waddle & Silvy on 90 East heading back from Rockford this morning. He said he doesn't mind, and he'd rather do that than not be on the roster at all. Waddle & Silvy promised to pay for a limo to and from Rockford after his next goal.

Like I said, I think he gets that his other choice is staying in Rockford.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
How many games will Huet have to blow before we pull the plug on him?

If he continues to struggle, the Hawks will acquire another goalie and Huet will be in Rockford. Rocky knows a Stanley Cup appearance and/or win is worth a lot more than what he would have to eat of Huet's contract. They are a lock for the playoffs, but will try to salvage Huet. I would expect 30,40 maybe 50 games into the season, if he's still struggling, he gone. They are going for it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
If he continues to struggle, the Hawks will acquire another goalie and Huet will be in Rockford. Rocky knows a Stanley Cup appearance and/or win is worth a lot more than what he would have to eat of Huet's contract. They are a lock for the playoffs, but will try to salvage Huet. I would expect 30,40 maybe 50 games into the season, if he's still struggling, he gone. They are going for it.

They have to, because they probably aren't going to be able to afford the young core of the team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Your greatest hope is that one of the cheap goalies in the system emerges as decent, and you can dump Huet.

With the big 3 due for raises in the off-season, I think this is pretty much the ideal scenario we can hope for, especially considering it'll be unlikely that we'll be able to dump Campbell's contract.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
With the big 3 due for raises in the off-season, I think this is pretty much the ideal scenario we can hope for, especially considering it'll be unlikely that we'll be able to dump Campbell's contract.

The nice thing is that as the Hossa contract ages, it becomes much more tradable if he continues at his historical norms.