Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Hopefully it is because the guy wants to win, which he would never do there.

Supposedly they also went the route of offering him a 1 year deal to make him one of the top 2 or 3 players in the league... and he said no to that too.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Supposedly they also went the route of offering him a 1 year deal to make him one of the top 2 or 3 players in the league... and he said no to that too.

Well he has a legit chance of hoisting the Cup now. You can hardly fault him for that. He had zero chance of ever doing that in ATL, though that is probably the end for the Thrashers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
Well he has a legit chance of hoisting the Cup now. You can hardly fault him for that. He had zero chance of ever doing that in ATL, though that is probably the end for the Thrashers.

Waddell had absolutely no choice but to trade him.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Yeah, you had to get something for him.

It's not like they weren't offering him a fair contract (multiple offers for that matter). All the deals were more than fair. His demands were to be paid the 20% max. With the position Atlanta is in as a franchise they can't pay him that. I'm the first to rip Waddell, but he made the right move with this one. The return is better than what people realize, especially considering it's a rental. And Cormier wasn't a throw-in, NJ didn't want to get rid of him despite the recent trangressions.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
Those videos are sweet - thanks for posting them!!

Thanks. Glad to do it. I have more from the actual game, bit I haven't had time to get to them yet. I missed the Hossa short handed goal by moments. I was turning on my Camera on when the break away started but couldnt hot record

before the goal.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
It's not like they weren't offering him a fair contract (multiple offers for that matter). All the deals were more than fair. His demands were to be paid the 20% max. With the position Atlanta is in as a franchise they can't pay him that. I'm the first to rip Waddell, but he made the right move with this one. The return is better than what people realize, especially considering it's a rental. And Cormier wasn't a throw-in, NJ didn't want to get rid of him despite the recent trangressions.

Yeah, you knew teams were going to be lining up for a shot at Ilya for the Cup run. Atlanta didn't do too badly. It will be interesting to see if NJ does throw the big money at him.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
It was a 6 on 3. Niemi = brilliant.

Good to hear Niemi was playing so well. Whats funny is that for all the talk about the Hawks goalie sitatuion, the top team in the league has the same issues as well, they have gone through three goalies. Then again, they do have Mr. Ovechkin

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Yes. Niemi is the team's #1 goaltender. He makes some saves he shouldn't and most of the ones he should. He's the anti-Huet.

wowzerz Steve, it only took you 2+ years to come around to the "Huet isn't good" side of the argument. . . well I'm happy to have you.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Rumor on ESPN Insider that the 'hawks might...MIGHT...be looking at Tim Thomas.

He 35 and still has has three years, $15 million left on his deal. They'd have to dump some other contracts to add that, especially Mr. Huet's. Can't go back to having two goalies with huge contracts like last year and before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
He 35 and still has has three years, $15 million left on his deal. They'd have to dump some other contracts to add that, especially Mr. Huet's. Can't go back to having two goalies with huge contracts like last year and before.

Article further said that the 'hawks would have to find a way to send Huet down to the minors to negate his contract, but there were scouts at a Bruins game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)

Its not ideal, but it is a step forward.