Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Real @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
The hawks are one of the worst defensive teams I've seen in a while. Huet blows, but they're absolute trash defensively. Kane is probably the worst, but he'll get a pass of course

Yes, so terrible that they came into the night 2nd in the league in goals allowed. They also have two of their top 4 defensemen out of the game tonight. Get a clue.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Is it realistic to think the Hawks will put Huet in Rockford next season (assuming no one claims him on waivers, which I am sure no one will) and eat his contract?

I think they definitely go for a Niemi / Crawford next season.

Certainly would be the cheapest option, when you consider the Hawks' contract situation also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
I think they definitely go for a Niemi / Crawford next season.

Certainly would be the cheapest option, when you consider the Hawks' contract situation also.

I really hope not DB. I don't think Crawford is a very good option. Niemi has shown flashes this year but I would prefer someone with little bit more of a track record of success if we have the ability to replace Huet next year.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
I really hope not DB. I don't think Crawford is a very good option. Niemi has shown flashes this year but I would prefer someone with little bit more of a track record of success if we have the ability to replace Huet next year.

Pretty much Niemi gets an extended tryout as #1. If he can lead us into the Cup Finals, the job is his, and you dump Huet for anything. If not, you still dump Huet, even if it means Rockford, and then you find a way to get a #1, even if it means moving some offensive talent.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)

Sometimes you just have give a goalie a look for at least 20-30 games to see how he is going to cope at the NHL level.

Look at former Hawk goalie prospects like Craig Anderson and Michael Leighton for instance.

Crawford is basically going to give at least what Huet has done this season I would have thought at a far less salary.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
by no means is kane going to win a selke, but the bolded statements above are just ridiculous....yes the D has struggled lately especially after injuries, but the hawks have had a top 2 or 3 defensive unit all year, if not the best...Keith has a legit chance to win the Norris, and he and Seabrook are probably the top pairing in the league

yes they had an awful awulf game tonight...but your statements are just wrong

I debated editing my comment, because of the "I've seen in a while" could be misleading

I was referring to post-olympic break. Would I be foolish to bet money on their defense being rather poor since then?

I still think the Hawks future goalie is not on the roster yet, whether that is in the draft (Jack Campbell, etc..) or trade (Bernier, who is a stud but is blocked by Quick, Price, blocked by Halak, Schneider, blocked by Luongo, etc.. etc..) remains to be seen. I love Niemi though, so that can change of course.

Anyone else get the feeling that there is no faith in Huet and the team reflects this.

Ante is 21-5-8 I believe and one of those losses was the Dallas game that Huet sucked in and the Hawks came back.

That was a real bad decision by Q and I hope it does not have a long term affect.

Seeds 2/3/6/7 looks like a hard road in the conference assuming Det moves up which I think they will.

Edited by Jenks Heat

Kim Johnsson's "upper-body injury" turns out to be a concussion, they could really use him coming back soon. A top 4 of him & Hammer, Keith/Seabrook would keep me confident. Filling in that third line with whatever combo of Sopel/Boynton/Hendry would be OK, then get Buffs back in front.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)
Tonight was a good indicator that the Hawks could be in some serious trouble come playoff time.....the defense was almost as bad a Huet was....

Nah. The tender who is playing in the playoffs was on the bench.

Detroit looked good again last night.

After Howard gave up a softie to let the Wild back in the game at 4-2, the Wings promptly scored twice in 2 and 1/2 minutes to get the breathing room back.

Dan Cleary aggravated his groin injury and left the game - if he has to miss any time, that could hurt them. Otherwise, they're healthy and scary.

I wish they had some time to rest before playing Nashville, but that's tonight in Tennessee.

Go Wings!!!!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)

After Howard gave up a softie to let the Wild back in the game at 4-2, the Wings promptly scored twice in 2 and 1/2 minutes to get the breathing room back.

Dan Cleary aggravated his groin injury and left the game - if he has to miss any time, that could hurt them. Otherwise, they're healthy and scary.

I wish they had some time to rest before playing Nashville, but that's tonight in Tennessee.

Go Wings!!!!

You make me sick.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)

Go Wings!!!!

As long as they move up to the 6th seed and take on the Canucks, I'll love them slightly. :D

OT: The Pens/Flyers game, seems like the refs are trying to fix the game to have the Penguins win it. Already gave the Pens 2 questionable PPs and waved a good goal off from replay.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
As long as they move up to the 6th seed and take on the Canucks, I'll love them slightly. :D

OT: The Pens/Flyers game, seems like the refs are trying to fix the game to have the Penguins win it. Already gave the Pens 2 questionable PPs and waved a good goal off from replay.

I won't hate them as much as usual?!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
I won't hate them as much as usual?!

Exactly. I can't stand the Canucks at all either. I actually wouldn't mind the Wings knocking out the Canucks in the first round. :o IMO, the Canucks are a really, really good team that scares me more than the Sharks do.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
Exactly. I can't stand the Canucks at all either. I actually wouldn't mind the Wings knocking out the Canucks in the first round. :o IMO, the Canucks are a really, really good team that scares me more than the Sharks do.

I think we match up with Vancouver better than San Jose. They don't scare me as much. The only thing there that really scares me is a hot Luongo.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Jimmy Howard and Pecca Rinne were HUGE tonight in Nashville.

Scoreless tie through regulation and OT, and 11 rounds of shootout lead to a 1-0 Detroit win.

Crazy to think you guys are now the 6th seed and only I think a point away from the 5th seed. Amazing to see with all the injuries Detroit had to put up with and they probably will still be a top 5 team come playoff time.

OT: But this just happened a few hours ago and I find it very hilarious. Minor league coach goes Lou Piniella/Hulk ape s***. I don't watch hockey as much as some here over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen this before. :lol:

Skip all the way to 3:25 (love the 2 players to his left laughing at it.. :lol:)