Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
I think we match up with Vancouver better than San Jose. They don't scare me as much. The only thing there that really scares me is a hot Luongo.

Honestly I have the opposite opinion. I think the Hawks own Luongo, but they rest of that team is very physical, which leads to a tough matchup for the hawks in the playoffs. San Joes may be skillful but I like the Hawks matchup vs them way more

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2106962:date=Mar 27, 2010 -> 09:50 PM:name=The Critic)-->
QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
<!--quotec-->Jimmy Howard and Pecca Rinne were HUGE tonight in Nashville.

Scoreless tie through regulation and OT, and 11 rounds of shootout lead to a 1-0 Detroit win.

Crazy to think you guys are now the 6th seed and only I think a point away from the 5th seed. Amazing to see with all the injuries Detroit had to put up with and they probably will still be a top 5 team come playoff time.

OT: But this just happened a few hours ago and I find it very hilarious. Minor league coach goes Lou Piniella/Hulk ape s***. I don't watch hockey as much as some here over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen this before. :lol:

Skip all the way to 3:25 (love the 2 players to his left laughing at it.. :lol:)

That is some god awful hockey.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
And the downwards spiral continues... Forget Cup, these guys will get bounced in the first round the way that they are playing now.

Unfortunately, there has been legitimate reason to have that fear with the way this team has been playing for a very long time now. The liklihood of such a scenario increases by the game though, this team is just ordinary.

The John McDonough (sp?) philosophy is looking to be as successful for the Hawks as it was for the cub. Use high priced free agents to market your winning mindset, watch ticket prices sky rocket. He is percieved as a genius for resurrecting both organizations. The thing is, he does not spend money wisely and cripples the franchise but he builds enough of a "scene" that the revenue is there to support it.

The Leno appearance was a prime example of marketing over winning. Seems the team may be buying into the hype.

We shall see if it pays off.

This all could be an overeaction but it is a feeling I have always had about the situation with upper management of the Hawks.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
The John McDonough (sp?) philosophy is looking to be as successful for the Hawks as it was for the cub. Use high priced free agents to market your winning mindset, watch ticket prices sky rocket. He is percieved as a genius for resurrecting both organizations. The thing is, he does not spend money wisely and cripples the franchise but he builds enough of a "scene" that the revenue is there to support it.

The Leno appearance was a prime example of marketing over winning. Seems the team may be buying into the hype.

This all could be an overeaction but it is a feeling I have always had about the situation with upper management of the Hawks.

I was never a fan of his personally (nor his arrogance, it's like if you say one negative thing about the Hawks he'll try his damnest to get you fired), but I'll leave it at that. I also don't think Stan Bowman will ever be as brilliant as his father (or even as good of a GM as Tallon which is sad (minus the FA signings/cap $, which Tallon was brutal in, though he was outstanding in talent evaluation in trades/drafting), but I'm willing to give him the chance and hope he proves me wrong but that's my personal opinion.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)

I don't get it. McDonough isn't the GM and he didn't sign the goalies or any of the bad contracts. What am I missing?

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't get it. McDonough isn't the GM and he didn't sign the goalies or any of the bad contracts. What am I missing?

If I remember correctly, ESPN radio 1000 said during the signing of Campbell and Huet that both players were highly coveted by McDonough and pushed for them to be signed. McDonough liked Huet's showing during the playoffs when Huet was with Washington.

McDonough wanted to make a big splash just like the Cubs always do. Hopefully, Cubs' choking history does not follow the Blackhawks. Just love watching the team so much and it hurts knowing it might be a quit exit out of the playoffs for the hawks.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

Yeah, you can pin the Leno appearance and corny s*** like Blackhawks TV on McDonough, but the on-ice moves are done by the player-personnel management team (Tallon, Bowman and Bowman).

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Does anyone know anything about Josh Mora and Comcast? I heard a rumor that he was being pushed aside becasue he was critical of the Tallon firing.

If true, sounds familiar doesn't it.

That's an old story, from what I recall he was told his contract was not going to be renewed after he wrote a blog that painted McDonugh in a bad light as a control freak from. The Hawks are part of owner of CSN, so it was painted more like an unrelated item that his contract would not be renewed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
The Blackhawks really need to pull their heads out of their asses and start winning some f***ing games. The Predators are only 5 points back to take the Central.

No kidding, that's a good point. Never thought we'd get to the point where the division was even in doubt.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The depleted defense core with Campbell's injury & Johnsson's mystery "upper-body" injury are definitely hurting them, but overall the team looks slower, less agressive, and is making too many mistakes. Sharpie just gave his guy a free 1-on-1 last night on the last goal.

As recent as a month ago, I heard people getting excited about the season finale vs. Detroit, thinking that it might be a do-or-die game for the Wings to even make the playoffs. Now with them closing in on at least a 5 seed, theres a better chance of that game deciding the Central Division, f***.

At least the good news is that single game playoff tickets go on sale in 5 minutes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
The depleted defense core with Campbell's injury & Johnsson's mystery "upper-body" injury are definitely hurting them, but overall the team looks slower, less agressive, and is making too many mistakes. Sharpie just gave his guy a free 1-on-1 last night on the last goal.

As recent as a month ago, I heard people getting excited about the season finale vs. Detroit, thinking that it might be a do-or-die game for the Wings to even make the playoffs. Now with them closing in on at least a 5 seed, theres a better chance of that game deciding the Central Division, f***.

At least the good news is that single game playoff tickets go on sale in 5 minutes.

Its a concussion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Its a concussion.

Thats what I had heard too, but I just saw this article today, so who knows.

Update: Johnsson (upper body) will not play Wednesday against the Wild, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Recommendation: Johnsson’s injury was originally reported as a concussion, but now there is some question over whether it’s a concussion or a shoulder injury (Chicago is obviously being tight-lipped about the situation). Johnsson remains day-to-day.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)

Unfortunately the bolded is entirely accurate and the reasoning is the team's distrust in who is in net. They are playing terrified because they know 20% of pucks thrown at the net are going in... it's effecting the entire team's confidence and morale.

Way to not get a goaltender.