Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I was thinking the same thing. They are going to sign triplet 12 year deals. I'm serious, that's a serious guess!

Supposedly Duncan Keith will get the long contract and Kane/Toews will probably get shorter contracts, more or less in their prime years to be free agents again similar to Hossa/Lidstrom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=4664001

The Chicago Blackhawks are close to completing a long-term contract extension with defenseman Duncan Keith, according to team and league sources.

The deal is expected to keep Keith a member of the Hawks for the rest of his career, sources said.

Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane also are on the verge of extensions, although those won't be as long as Keith's, according to sources.

Edited by SoxAce

TSN Canada reporting deals are imminent, Kane & Toews getting 5 year deals worth over $6 million each, and as said above, Keith will sign a 13-year deal. Article has a good break down of next year's potential salary cap too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=298728

The Chicago Blackhawks are on the verge of locking up their talented young core players.

Sources tell TSN the Hawks are in the process of finalizing long-term contract extensions for Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith.

Kane and Toews are believed to be getting five-year extensions, with each of them worth in excess of $6 million per year. An announcement on those two deals appears to be imminent.

Keith's deal is said to be more complicated, perhaps as long as 13 years, and worth less than what the Hawks will pay their two star forwards, which is to suggest it will likely average less than $6 million per year. Because the NHL is so closely scrutinizing the ultra long-term contracts, it may take longer to dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the Keith extension.

In any case, it's only a matter of time until the Hawks formally announce all three, though it remains to be seen if Chicago runs into any “tagging room” issues that would prevent them from finalizing a deal until they open up some cap room for next season.

It's not inconceivable the Hawks may have to make some moves, if not now then at a later date, to deal with those financial and salary cap issues for next season.

Between Cristobal Huet in net ($5.625 cap hit next season) and a defence corps that includes Brian Campbell ($7.142 million), Brent Seabrook ($3.5 million), Cam Barker ($3.083), Brent Sopel ($2.3 million) and eventually Keith (let's call it an average of $5.75 million), the Hawks have roughly a $27.4 million cap hit for one goalie and five defencemen.

Up front, Kane and Toews will probably be around the $6.5 million mark in terms of a cap hit. Add in Marian Hossa ($5.275 million), Patrick Sharp ($3.9 million), David Bolland ($3.375 million), Kris Versteeg ($3.083), Dustin Byfuglien ($3 million), Tomas Kopecky ($1.2 million) and Troy Brouwer ($1.025) and the Blackhawks committed more than $32.8 million on nine forwards.

Add up the commitments on goal/defence ($27.4 million) and up front ($33.8 million) and that's more than $61 million, which is well above this year's cap figure of $56.7 million and there's no guarantee the cap will even remain at that level for next season.

Keep in mind the Hawks would also still have to sign restricted free agents such as Andrew Ladd and Adam Burish, among others, to say nothing of unrestricted free agents such as John Madden and Ben Eager.

In any case, it's pretty obvious the Hawks are going to have to shed some salary at some point. No one should suggest it's impossible to do. But the interesting question is whether GM Stan Bowman will do any of the trimming this season or wait until the off season.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
$9 million plus, spent on Bolland, Versteeg and Byfuglien, seems crazy to me.

Yeah something is going to have to give. I really hope somehow they can rid themselves of the Campbell contract and the Huet deal. Just one would be great, but both would be awesome. I have a bad feeling that neither will be traded.

I wouldn't trade Huet. I wouldn't be comfortable with Niemi going forward. Despite having a super deep farm, the Hawks do not have a stud goalie down there.

I'd trade Campbell for a guy making half of his salary then a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The guy is one of the Hawks worst players yet he's the highest paid.

After the year, I'm guessing they'll be looking at dealing Versteeg, Barker, Sharp, and MAYBE Seabrook. Hjalmarsson has been a pleasant surprise and so that might put Seabs on the market.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
I wouldn't trade Huet. I wouldn't be comfortable with Niemi going forward. Despite having a super deep farm, the Hawks do not have a stud goalie down there.

I'd trade Campbell for a guy making half of his salary then a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The guy is one of the Hawks worst players yet he's the highest paid.

After the year, I'm guessing they'll be looking at dealing Versteeg, Barker, Sharp, and MAYBE Seabrook. Hjalmarsson has been a pleasant surprise and so that might put Seabs on the market.

The problem is who is going to want that contract when it comes to Campbell?

Trading Versteeg would be a huge mistake IMO. If they rid themselves of Soup and Huet's contracts we could keep some of the role guys around for a little longer, but there will have to be some turnover of guys like Bolland, Buff etc.

People won't be lining up for that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Trading Versteeg would be a huge mistake IMO. If they rid themselves of Soup and Huet's contracts we could keep some of the role guys around for a little longer, but there will have to be some turnover of guys like Bolland, Buff etc.

They may not have a choice. Some of those guys must go, possibly Versteeg. He's just not one of the elite guys on the team, which means he's a possibility to go.

I don't know how they can realistically rid themselves of Soup AND Huet's contract, let alone one of them.

This is going to be very difficult and there are going to be a handful of good players gone. I'm looking at the group of Versteeg, Sharp, Barker, Byfuglien, Bolland. You could see a few of those gone with relative ease. This is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
People won't be lining up for that.

They may not have a choice. Some of those guys must go, possibly Versteeg. He's just not one of the elite guys on the team, which means he's a possibility to go.

I don't know how they can realistically rid themselves of Soup AND Huet's contract, let alone one of them.

This is going to be very difficult and there are going to be a handful of good players gone. I'm looking at the group of Versteeg, Sharp, Barker, Byfuglien, Bolland. You could see a few of those gone with relative ease. This is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

I agree, and that is where the farm system is going to be huge. We have to get some guys like Skille, Aliu, and Beech come up and make some noise cheaper than the guys who are hear now.

I think you will see Barker, Sopel and possibly Huet gone to free up cap space.... not sure how they will be dealt but they are all names mentioned b4 in rumors. Plus obviously they would love to get rid of Campbell's contract but good luck with that.

Edited by EvilJester99

Neimi is cheap and just as good as Huet has shown to be thus far....Huet has started to look decent lately which could make him more interesting to other teams but the Hawks may fall into the trap of he is finally coming around....Huet has .902 SV% and 2.25 GAA, Neimi has a .900 SV% and 2.22 GAA. As for Sopel it won't be easy to deal him but there may be a team desperate enough for D help... or maybe not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
The problem is who is going to want that contract when it comes to Campbell?

The only team I can honestly think of is Atlanta.

They were after Campbell when they signed him, and they need to improve quickly if they want to re-sign Kovalchuk long - term.

With Huet, he's got what 2 years left on his deal after this season IIRC, so the Hawks could probably dump that contract if they had to, just wouldn't get much in return.

Sopel, well we'd be lucky to get anything for a 6th/7th d-man making that type of $$$.

In the end, I think we'll trade Huet, go with a Niemi / Crawford platoon next season, and try to get under the cap that way.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:22 AM)

They were after Campbell when they signed him, and they need to improve quickly if they want to re-sign Kovalchuk long - term.

With Huet, he's got what 2 years left on his deal after this season IIRC, so the Hawks could probably dump that contract if they had to, just wouldn't get much in return.

Sopel, well we'd be lucky to get anything for a 6th/7th d-man making that type of $$$.

In the end, I think we'll trade Huet, go with a Niemi / Crawford platoon next season, and try to get under the cap that way.

You also have to find a team that is $7 million under the cap, AND is willing and able to add that much money long term.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:22 AM)

I dont know if signing an overpaid defenseman with a huge contract is the best way to appease Kovalchuk, especially since his contract is gonna be worth a lot of money as well.

Tab Bamford reports on the potential holdups in the Chicago Blackhawks finalizing potential new contracts for Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith. Bamford suggests the team is likely trying to ensure the contracts pass the scrutiny of the league, which is currently investigating the long-term contract the club signed with Marian Hossa, as well as passing the league's "tagging rule", which prevents a team "from having more money committed to the following season than the current year's salary cap". That means with this year's cap at $56.8 million the Blackhawks payroll for next season isn't allowed to exceed that number.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: As Bamford points out, with the Blackhawks currently having over $43 million committed to next season's payroll the projected numbers for the new contract of Kane, Toews (rumored to be $6 million per season each) and Keith (rumored to be around $5 million per) would push the 'Hawks payroll for next season to over $60 million. That would mean the 'Hawks would have to dump salary before officially announcing their re-signings.

So chances are the deals are already done.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
So chances are the deals are already done.

But does that mean the 'hawks have to trade someone before they announce? And for all of you worried about chemistry, if there are people like that out there...the 'hawks traded Wiz last year and still did pretty well. I don't think Wiz would have gotten them to the Stanley Cup Finals, but....