Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Niemi keeps progressing. This is really perfect for the Hawks franchise and only makes the decision easier to move Huet in the offseason to resign the Hjalmarssons (Scotty Bowman did say that he'd bet his reputation that he becomes a top 4 defenseman in the league), Ladds (possibly unless Beach, etc.. are higher on the Hawks radar) and even the Niemis of the world. For now though.. we just enjoy the ride hopefully all the way to Lord Stanley.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I hope Niemi keeps progressing. This is really perfect for the Hawks franchise and only makes the decision easier to move Huet in the offseason to resign the Hjalmarssons (Scotty Bowman did say that he'd bet his reputation that he becomes a top 4 defenseman in the league), Ladds (possibly unless Beach, etc.. are higher on the Hawks radar) and even the Niemis of the world. For now though.. we just enjoy the ride hopefully all the way to Lord Stanley.

If Niemi can become an OK number one goalie (in other words as good as Huet), you give away Huet to the first taker and take your chances. That $5.5 million could be huge to this squad going forward.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 07:59 AM)
If Niemi can become an OK number one goalie (in other words as good as Huet), you give away Huet to the first taker and take your chances. That $5.5 million could be huge to this squad going forward.

At least for this season I don't want them dealing Huet. I like having two strong goaltenders this year, and I'm not sold on Crawford at all as an NHL goalie. In the offseason they can try to find a taker for Huet and I'll take my chances with a slightly more battle-tested Niemi.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
At least for this season I don't want them dealing Huet. I like having two strong goaltenders this year, and I'm not sold on Crawford at all as an NHL goalie. In the offseason they can try to find a taker for Huet and I'll take my chances with a slightly more battle-tested Niemi.

I think a Niemi / Crawford tamden could at least develop into an average NHL goaltender compared to other NHL teams if they were given the chance. A guy like Craig Anderson who was with the Hawks a few years back is probably quite similar to Crawford, so you need to give those young guys a chance eventually.

I think at the upcoming draft though, the Hawks need to use at least 1 of their 1st 2 picks on a goalie though, as it's the weakest area in the system.