Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Total bushleague ending by Tampa. I'm with Pat and Ed, I wish we would have tacked two more on at the end. Dicks.

I'm glad Quenneville took the high road. That way the Lightning look stupid and impotent on the scoreboard and cheap and dirty to those who know the game. Hawks didn't need to sink to their level.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game last night sure was fun to watch. Hossa's goal might have been the best one I've seen scored by the Hawks in the last 20 years. I think that took greater ability than Toews' goal against the 'Lanche a few years ago...

Zhamnov had some sweet dekes when he was here, he'd come in from the side and with one hand put the puck around the goaltender, but I think Hossa catching the puck, dropping it in front of him and slapping it out of midair past a well-positioned goaltender (while moving) was the most difficult move I have yet to see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
That game last night sure was fun to watch. Hossa's goal might have been the best one I've seen scored by the Hawks in the last 20 years. I think that took greater ability than Toews' goal against the 'Lanche a few years ago...

Zhamnov had some sweet dekes when he was here, he'd come in from the side and with one hand put the puck around the goaltender, but I think Hossa catching the puck, dropping it in front of him and slapping it out of midair past a well-positioned goaltender (while moving) was the most difficult move I have yet to see.

i've been only really watching hockey for two years, so my knowledge is fairly limited, but i'm so impressed with Hossa patience....his presence of mind on the ice is remarkable...the gap between he and Havlat is bigger than I realized this offseason...Havlat seemed more of an opportunist, who benefited from being around guys like kane sharp and toews, but Hossa looks like the type of player who just makes everyone around him better.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)

The cool thing was how modest he was about it in the post game show. He called it "luck".

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
i've been only really watching hockey for two years, so my knowledge is fairly limited, but i'm so impressed with Hossa patience....his presence of mind on the ice is remarkable...the gap between he and Havlat is bigger than I realized this offseason...Havlat seemed more of an opportunist, who benefited from being around guys like kane sharp and toews, but Hossa looks like the type of player who just makes everyone around him better.

Marian Hossa is a better Hockey player than Marty Havlat, but make no mistake, they are both world class offensive talents. The biggest difference between Hossa and Havlat is that Hossa is far superior defensively and can create offensive by creating turnovers, an dimension of his game that marty's lacks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Im not a huge hockey enthusiast but its clear when you watch Hossa that he is on a different level in terms of ability. I know Toews and Kane are good, but Hossa is probably the best right now.

3 different players, but I get what you're saying. Experience goes a long way as well with Hossa. Toews has quite a bit of the defensive ability of Hossa, but without his blazing speed on the offensive end. Kaner is just a player all his own, not many people can do what he does with the puck in the world.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Marian Hossa is a better Hockey player than Marty Havlat, but make no mistake, they are both world class offensive talents. The biggest difference between Hossa and Havlat is that Hossa is far superior defensively and can create offensive by creating turnovers, an dimension of his game that marty's lacks.

Hossa is one of the game's superstars. If nothing else, bringing him to Chicago was a stroke of genius for having him there for Kane and Toews to learn from.

And some good news...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...awknt14.article

Kane collects goal No. 10, but pain, too

Comments

December 14, 2009

Finally, the Blackhawks have a 10-goal scorer. Patrick Kane, who had gone nine games without a goal, scored the Hawks' first on Sunday to bring his total into double digits.

Moments later, Kane was tripped by Tampa Bay's Matt Smaby. His head hit the ice before he slid into the boards. Though he was able to skate off under his own power, Kane didn't return to the game. Teammate Marian Hossa described Kane as ''a little shaky,'' but coach Joel Quenneville said he had a cut above his eye that required stitches.

The injury impaired Kane's vision, a factor in his leaving the game. Quenneville expected Kane to be ready for Wednesday's home game against St. Louis.

It was an appropriate night for Kane to get No. 10. Fans were given bobble-head dolls in his likeness as they entered the United Center.

Marian Hossa is just unbelievable. The guy has the ability to put the whole team on his back. So much is made out of how he hasn't won yet and how he doesn't perform in the playoffs, yet IIRC, he was in the top 4 on Detroit last year in the playoffs in points, assists, goals, and +/-. I remember looking them up a few months ago due to an argument with a friend, and now I don't remember them exactly, but it's right around there.

The guy is a stud, and I agree that he is the team's best player. I'm betting he ends the year with the most goals on the team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)

Sick goal yes, but there was indeed a ton of luck involved. He would catch and make contact with that puck a bunch, but it wouldn't find the net or a corner nearly as often as he'd like. Now if he could do that routinely and put it wherever he wanted, sure. But Toews goal was much more skilled.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Sick goal yes, but there was indeed a ton of luck involved. He would catch and make contact with that puck a bunch, but it wouldn't find the net or a corner nearly as often as he'd like. Now if he could do that routinely and put it wherever he wanted, sure. But Toews goal was much more skilled.

Guys without his skill couldn't even attempt a maneuver like that, just like Toews had to have a bit of luck to pull off his moves against COL. If anyone of the defenders or goalies does something a bit differently, his goal doesn't happen and we aren't talking about it two years later. They both take luck, but can't happen without the skill both of these guys have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Guys without his skill couldn't even attempt a maneuver like that, just like Toews had to have a bit of luck to pull off his moves against COL. If anyone of the defenders or goalies does something a bit differently, his goal doesn't happen and we aren't talking about it two years later. They both take luck, but can't happen without the skill both of these guys have.

I'm not saying there's no skill involved, I just have Toews better because of the skill/luck ratio. You'd be surprised how many hockey players could catch and hit a puck out of mid air, and conversely how often he couldn't repeat the "shot" portion again.

What luck was there on the Toews goal exactly? He torched every last one of them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)

Agree to disagree. Say what you will, but Toews goal was not "much more skilled". Hossa actually hitting that puck out of the air while moving alone probably takes more skill than deking some defenders, something Toews and any other extremely talented forward has been doing since peewee. I stand by my statement.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
Agree to disagree. Say what you will, but Toews goal was not "much more skilled". Hossa actually hitting that puck out of the air while moving alone probably takes more skill than deking some defenders, something Toews and any other extremely talented forward has been doing since peewee. I stand by my statement.

Toews goal was more skilled than it was luck. I wouldn't throw peewee hockey in there, doesn't really prove much. You don't see guys being able to deke like they are in peewees like that in the NHL.

Hell, Hossa even said it was lucky.

Edited by IlliniKrush