Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

Those refs had a bad game, and they over-reacted to the Hawks' response to the physical (goonish) play of the Blues.

Even in my crappy floor hockey league when I was young, I would see this.

When the refs would be off their game and the play got chippy, they would make up for their poor officiating by trying to "take back control of the game".

This meant issuing overly severe penalties like game misconducts and majors where a minor would have been appropriate.

That's what the game last night reminded me of.

Edited by The Critic

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
Those refs had a bad game, and they over-reacted to the Hawks' response to the physical (goonish) play of the Blues.

Even in my crappy floor hockey league when I was young, I would see this.

When the refs would be off their game and the play got chippy, they would make up for their poor officiating by trying to "take back control of the game".

This meant issuing overly severe penalties like game misconducts and majors where a minor would have been appropriate.

That's what the game last night reminded me of.

That sounds about right. They didn't seem ready for St Louis's style at all. They spent all night getting the response instead of the cause.

There was no charge on the hit on Sharp, neither of Weaver's feet left the ice before the hit though at live speed you would think so. You can't blame Barker for doing what he did because again at live speed, that didn't look clean. He took at run at him.

I looked at the Eager/Jackman tilt a few times and I think Eager bit Jackman, earning him the match penalty.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
There was no charge on the hit on Sharp, neither of Weaver's feet left the ice before the hit though at live speed you would think so. You can't blame Barker for doing what he did because again at live speed, that didn't look clean. He took at run at him.

I looked at the Eager/Jackman tilt a few times and I think Eager bit Jackman, earning him the match penalty.

Isn't there anything about going at the guy's head?

The thing about that game was how badly the Hawks outshot the Blues well being so grossly shorthanded.

If the Hawks feel they need to be physical Lil Buff needs to be heard from.

I don't know if last year's Hawks win that game—the book on them was to play the body to fluster them into making bad decisions. They're fast, aggressive, and control the neutral zone—shoring up their most glaring trouble area from last year.

It was amateur referee night, and they were handicapping the Hawks whenever they got the chance.

Best example is the Cam Barker penalty. Barker should have waited for a better time to pound Backes, who was asking for it all game long—but instigator + fighting major + misconduct + game misconduct? Ridiculous.

Huet looked good. St. Louis got lucky on at least two of those goals and scored on flukes. But they also drew iron on a couple of chances when Huet was out of position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
I saw Eager in the game, what happened with him? Did they rescind the penalty?

Ya, league reviewed it and rescinded it. They interviewed him in the 1st intermission and he explained that he received the match penalty because his hand was wrapped while he was fighting at the end of the game. During his first fight, he cut his hand up pretty bad and got it taped up, then at the end of the match, he drew blood and by league rules, if you fight with anything on your hand, it's a match penalty, at least thats what he said he was told.

Uneventful 1st period against Anaheim tonight. I will say, Sopel has been great on both ends last night and so far tonight. And Hendry has done a nice job as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Ya, league reviewed it and rescinded it. They interviewed him in the 1st intermission and he explained that he received the match penalty because his hand was wrapped while he was fighting at the end of the game. During his first fight, he cut his hand up pretty bad and got it taped up, then at the end of the match, he drew blood and by league rules, if you fight with anything on your hand, it's a match penalty, at least thats what he said he was told.

Uneventful 1st period against Anaheim tonight.

Ah. I have never heard that. Glad to see they cleared it up.

Wow.

A number of reports are swirling that the Atlanta Thrashers have given superstar forward Ilya Kovalchuk and his agent a deadline of Monday to accept their latest, and final, contract offer.

If there isn’t an agreement, the Thrashers could move fairly quickly into the trade market, where Kovalchuk would undoubtedly become one of the hottest commodities available. A couple analysts believe the Blackhawks could sneak in and acquire him as early as this week.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/319000-...lackhawks-radar

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)

Please don't link bleacher report articles as a source of relevant information. Ilya is probably gone, but I wouldn't take a bleacher report report as saying the Hawks could nab him this week. We'd deal, what? Sharp +? That'd really make us quite unstoppable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
Please don't link bleacher report articles as a source of relevant information. Ilya is probably gone, but I wouldn't take a bleacher report report as saying the Hawks could nab him this week. We'd deal, what? Sharp +? That'd really make us quite unstoppable.

The report guessed at Versteeg and Barker going to Atlanta. They're sure to ask for more than that, but that does sound like a deal they'd take if no one came at them with more. Salary-wise, it's close, so the Hawks could possibly absorb the difference.

Of course, the FUTURE contract would be the problem. How much do you want to give up while risking that Kovalchuk bolts after the season?

Edited by The Critic

I hate the idea of dealing Sharp. Obviously Kovalchuk is better but Sharp is such a team guy.

However, if it came down to something like Versteeg, Barker, prospect, and our 1st round pick (likely to be very late), I'd do it. Even if he's a rental for us, we'll probably lose Versteeg and Barker anyways to clear cap space after the year to make cap space for Hjalmarsson and Niemi.

In conclusion, to get someone as talented as Kovalchuk would be awesome, even if he's a rental. Kane to Kovy on the PP is a wet dream. Plus, reuniting him and Hossa on the same line with Sharp (or Bolland when he gets back) would be great.

Kovalchuk has some incredible speed. Add that to a team that already has good speed...

Wth that said, he's a defensive liabilty. He doesn't like to backcheck/forecheck at all.

I was just noticing, however, that the Hawks lead the league for both goal differential and total goals allowed. That's a nice stat for a team with "goaltender issues". They're playing really well in front of their goaltenders.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Kovalchuk has some incredible speed. Add that to a team that already has good speed...

Wth that said, he's a defensive liabilty. He doesn't like to backcheck/forecheck at all.

I was just noticing, however, that the Hawks lead the league for both goal differential and total goals allowed. That's a nice stat for a team with "goaltender issues". They're playing really well in front of their goaltenders.

They do an incredible job of working in the corners and winning battles. They also block shots and shoot the passing lanes as good as anyone in the league. The stat that it really shows up in is how far ahead they are in shots allowed.

If we got Kovalchuk, that would be on a straight rental basis, but considering we know that Barker/Versteeg/Sharp... 2 of them will have to be gone since Campbell can't move and we have Hossa/Toews/Kane/Keith all locked up and another year with Huet on the books.

It'd be a truly interesting gamble. You bet that a Sopel/Hendry will be a suitable 5-6 to play behind Keith/Seabs/Soupy/Hjalms, with the monster upgrade on the frontlines to Kovalchuk over one of Sharp/Steeger?

Personally, and I know it won't happen and I hate to comment on trade rumors, but this one is too juicy... PERSONALLY, I'd rather they ship out Sharp and hold onto Steeg. Then you add a Beach or Skille plus a 1st and you might be in business. I don't think that hurts you all too much in the long run, considering this core is locked and loaded for years.

We will see, that'd be nice: Sharp, Barker, Skille 1st for Kovalchuk is something you do when your last Cup was 49 seasons ago.