Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
I meant dude behind Bulin and Huet last year. Was awful in his few minutes in the playoffs.

Oh, you meant Corey Crawford. He is a terrible hockey player and I wouldn't expect to see him as the backup this year. I think it's high-time Antti Niemi takes that job. Although, a veteran on a one-year deal would make me feel better.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
I have to admit Im come of a bandwagon fan and was just getting into the blackhawks this last season, that being said Havlat was probably my favorite player so its kind of sad to see him go. Are we going to be able to keep the core of this team together with Huet and Campbell's huge contracts working against us?

Dale said in his press conference yesterday that with the way the Hossa deal was signed, it'll allow more lee-way in extending Kane, Toews, and Keith next offseason.

However, next offseason, Ladd is also a UFA. He'll likely be gone and at that point, we might be looking to deal Campbell. If we can't deal him, Sopel will likely be shipped out (thank god).

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Dale said in his press conference yesterday that with the way the Hossa deal was signed, it'll allow more lee-way in extending Kane, Toews, and Keith next offseason.

However, next offseason, Ladd is also a UFA. He'll likely be gone and at that point, we might be looking to deal Campbell. If we can't deal him, Sopel will likely be shipped out (thank god).

One of the most important thing any sports franchise can have is superior scouting, meaning knowing what your team has and who is expendable but still has value on the trade market (I think the White Sox have been very good at this). Looks like the Blackhawks will be tested on this.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
One of the most important thing any sports franchise can have is superior scouting, meaning knowing what your team has and who is expendable but still has value on the trade market (I think the White Sox have been very good at this). Looks like the Blackhawks will be tested on this.

The Hawks have an unreal "farm system".

Aliu, Beach, Lalonde, etc. If we lose Versteeg, I feel confident that Beach can step in. He's Eager plus 25-30 goals.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

Aliu, Beach, Lalonde, etc. If we lose Versteeg, I feel confident that Beach can step in. He's Eager plus 25-30 goals.

THe question becomes is there going to be a slot for some of these guys to learn on the job in Chicago?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
THe question becomes is there going to be a slot for some of these guys to learn on the job in Chicago?

With the depth the Hawks have, you can really ease the young guys in and have them learn on the job very slowly and only after gaining plenty of minor league experience. It's a great luxury to have.

As someone who doesn't know s*** about Hockey, but starting to get into it (thanks to the Hawks awesome playoff run)....

can someone explain to me how the line system works? Do you have your 1st line in for most of the game, or for only a certain amount of time, or what.

From what I've read so far, good offseason for the Hawks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
As someone who doesn't know s*** about Hockey, but starting to get into it (thanks to the Hawks awesome playoff run)....

can someone explain to me how the line system works? Do you have your 1st line in for most of the game, or for only a certain amount of time, or what.

From what I've read so far, good offseason for the Hawks.

Well, you don't necessarily have your 1st line on the ice most of the game, but you probably want it. The Hawks next year might consist of Toews and Hossa, which, why wouldn't you want that out there? However, last year the Hawks Bolland-Ladd-Havlat line was incredible and it was their 2nd or 3rd line, I can't remember which. The 4th line usually consists of maniacs (Eager, Burish, Brouwer) who skate around and use tons of energy trying to hit and make something happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)

Last year, Versteeg making the team wasn't exactly expected, but he did, and had a damn good year. Bolland never really consistently got it going. In the 2006-2007 season I think he played in 1 or 2 games, and in the 2007-2008 season, he played a decent amount of games (I want to say half but I could be wrong) and had 15 or so points. Therefore, Bolland and Versteeg were young guys who learned on the fly and being surrounded with a bunch of world class players, contributed big time for the Hawks. I think Beach could do that this year, if needed.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

i think if we lose steeger, Skille is the one that will step up for that vacancy. I think I read somewhere that unless Beach makes the NHL team he has to go back to the WHL because he is not old enough to play for the AHL(Not turning 20 til Jan 13). If Ladd does leave us next season I think Beach fills that vacancy perfectly, but thats next season and I dont think Ladd will be a whole lot of money even though we have to sign our main guys.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
i think if we lose steeger, Skille is the one that will step up for that vacancy. I think I read somewhere that unless Beach makes the NHL team he has to go back to the WHL because he is not old enough to play for the AHL(Not turning 20 til Jan 13). If Ladd does leave us next season I think Beach fills that vacancy perfectly, but thats next season and I dont think Ladd will be a whole lot of money even though we have to sign our main guys.

That's true. Totally forgot about Skille.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
I hope we can bring back Ladd, granted my knowledge of hockey is limited, I think he is incredibly under-appreciated.

He's pretty good, but he might be asking for too much in an offseason where 4 others guys are top priorities (Kane, Toews, Keith, Hjarlmasson).

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
Apparently there is a 3-way trade brewing between the Hawks, Leafs and Sharks that would move around 5 million?

Any mention on who may be involved? I see its an EK rumor.....

So, here is what i can say of the rumor The Hawks, Leafs and Sharks are all tied in a three way trade that would move around 5M

since there are NMC involved I don't think releasing innocent player's names is right

wish I could give more info and not be so sketchy...but as you see, today was a "take stock" day in the NHL. There are 2 goalies in deal.

Edited by EvilJester99

Seen this on the main board... so TIFWIW...

The Hawks still have an offer of Campbell for Heatley on the table. Heatley has officially exercised his NMC and declined the Edm deal. So it's game on again!

Now that the $4Mil bonus is off the table the Hawks may have to "sweeten" the deal. Most teams on Heatley's list have either made moves or had no interest so the contenders are few. This would be a wash as far as cap space. Murray says Heatley's only option is Ottawa but "most NHL insiders don't think Heatley will report to Ottawa".

It could come down to Heatley holding out come Sept.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Not sure if you went to any games last year, but the goal song is awesome, and should/has become a staple at the UC, so no.

I hate the song, but I'm in the minority. My buddy who works at the UC tells me it's a big hit with the higher-ups and it's not going anywhere.

So I will continue to mute the TV when they score and just suffer through it when I'm at the UC.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Not sure if you went to any games last year, but the goal song is awesome, and should/has become a staple at the UC, so no.

Unfortunately no, I didn't go to any games last year. I'm sure it's a hit in the stadium, but watching from home, it just kinda sucks.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
I actually can understand the hate if you are watching it on TV/haven't been to a game last season(Slav in your case) but at least for me, I love it after a big goal. Campy, yes, but I want to have fun at sports games, and it's a good time.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to a few games this coming season. I've never been to a hockey game at the UC, always wanted to, but it never transpired. I'm sure I'd love it after the first goal. All I know is that after that 7-5 win in the playoffs vs the Canucks, that song was in my head for about 2 weeks.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
Seen this on the main board... so TIFWIW...

The Hawks still have an offer of Campbell for Heatley on the table. Heatley has officially exercised his NMC and declined the Edm deal. So it's game on again!

Now that the $4Mil bonus is off the table the Hawks may have to "sweeten" the deal. Most teams on Heatley's list have either made moves or had no interest so the contenders are few. This would be a wash as far as cap space. Murray says Heatley's only option is Ottawa but "most NHL insiders don't think Heatley will report to Ottawa".

It could come down to Heatley holding out come Sept.

Some more on Heater:

New York

Sather, who had earlier moved Scott Gomez to clear cap space for a possible Heatley trade, entered free agency on July 1st with Murray still knocking at his door. Wanting nothing to do with the negative press surrounding Heatley, especially in the wake of the rumour that the whole fiasco was caused by his desire to play in New York, Sather chose to go a different direction and sign the oft-injured Marian Gaborik to fill the space that he had created for Heatley.

A Rangers source said Thursday the team did make "a competitive offer," although a Senators source insists it wasn't as good as Edmonton's three-player package, saying, "We couldn't even get a 13-goal scorer in the deal."

The Rangers moved on and signed Marian Gaborik. But does that still definitely rule them out of the Heatley talks? One industry source said Thursday it was his belief that the Rangers wanted to add two high-impact players, and so far Gaborik has been the only one. Does that leave the door open for Heatley? Hard to tell.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)
Campbell to San Jose perhaps, or Huet if Nabokov is being dealt.

Marleau would definitely be a huge upgrade as a 2nd line center though.

If we trade Huet now, that'd be a huge mistake.

Unless we traded both guys and got Nabokov back in return, which will not happen.