Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
TFP

FWIW, in the last 24 hours I've read that Vokoun hasn't been approached, has been approached, was willing to waive the NTC, and was NOT willing to waive the NTC.

This is the nature of rumors, so I'm done listening to speculation. We'll see what happens today and hope for the best.

I don't believe that either goalie is as bad as he looked last night, but I'm not sold on either guy as a #1 for a Cup winner.

This is not a team with a closing window yet, so I'm not panicking by any means.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, speculation is dumb, I just thought the three way between the Hawks/Panthers/Isles could get done. Sell the damn farm, and get one of Sharp/Steeger out and bring in Vokoun. Trade the picks you need to get rid of Huet and give this team the stud netminder it needs for a Cup run.

Scotty Bowman was on Toronto radio saying that Vokoun will not be coming to Chicago. I believe it was last night. He left no wiggle room with how he said that... so I would doubt it will happen. I heard this on Mully and Hanley this am. TIFWIW

CBC'S Elliotte Friedman reports Blackhawks consultant Scotty Bowman said the club isn't shopping for a goaltender.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
CBC'S Elliotte Friedman reports Blackhawks consultant Scotty Bowman said the club isn't shopping for a goaltender.

That's either smoke and mirrors or the old man's lost his f***ing mind.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I am thinking its smoke and mirrors....they can't think this tandem will be good enough.

I'm hoping he is just saying it so in case they strikeout at the deadline he's on the public record supporting the 2 keepers. However, it would be a buzzkill if the Blackhawks would have to make their playoff run with these to keepers, I would have a hard time picking them over San Jose in the west if that happens.

Rosenbloom had an interesting stat this morning on Mully and Hanley though.... there has only been 1 goalie who was traded in the season that has gone on to win the Cup....that of course was Patrick Roy. There have been 3 rookies to do it. I have more confidence in Niemi than I do Huet but I don't think either is ready for the big time.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Rosenbloom had an interesting stat this morning on Mully and Hanley though.... there has only been 1 goalie who was traded in the season that has gone on to win the Cup....that of course was Patrick Roy. There have been 3 rookies to do it. I have more confidence in Niemi than I do Huet but I don't think either is ready for the big time.

I can't imagine that many teams that are true Cup contenders need a goalie during midseason.

Even with the Hawks records as good as it is, I really don't think they can be considered a legitimate contender to win the Stanley Cup until they make a notable upgrade at goalie. If a deal isn't made by the deadline today, it almost feels like a season killing moment because you simply aren't winning a trophy with Niemi and Huet in there.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Even with the Hawks records as good as it is, I really don't think they can be considered a legitimate contender to win the Stanley Cup until they make a notable upgrade at goalie. If a deal isn't made by the deadline today, it almost feels like a season killing moment because you simply aren't winning a trophy with Niemi and Huet in there.

Unless Huet pulls his head out of his ass and plays like he did down the stretch for the Caps two years ago which led the Hawks to give him that monster deal.

ick, TSN is reporting the Blackhawks have closed up shop with no moves. I am a long time Hawks fan, not a CubsHawks fan, but a fan who's been with them through the good and horrible of my life (I'm 31). Even through the bad times about 5-10 times a year my dad and I were one of the what, maybe 7-9k who were actually showing up for games. I just don't see either of these two goaltenders leading a serious playoff push... I am extremely discouraged right now and only hope I am proven wrong

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
ick, TSN is reporting the Blackhawks have closed up shop with no moves. I am a long time Hawks fan, not a CubsHawks fan, but a fan who's been with them through the good and horrible of my life (I'm 31). Even through the bad times about 5-10 times my dad and I were one of the what, maybe 7-9k who were actually showing up for games. I just don't see either of these two goaltenders leading a serious playoff push... I am extremely discouraged right now and only hope I am proven wrong

Hopefully one of the goaltenders gets hot. We were kidding ourselves thinking Huet's contract could be moved.

As far as i'm concerned, today sealed the fate of the 2009-2010 Blackhawks. I think it'll even be somewhat hard for them to match the 9 playoff wins they had last year with the goaltending situation as it is and the fact that teams seem to have a pretty good idea of how to deal with the Hawks heavy puck possession style of offense. The problem is, one of the (if not the) biggest reasons teams can just sit back as the Hawks control the shots on goal and puck possession all game is they are confident the 22 shots they get will result in 3 or 4 goals on the Hawks goalies.

I hope this post is mocked one day, but the Hawks are not and will not be a legit contender to end their near 50 year championship drought unless a goalie upgrade is made IMO. I honestly don't even really blame Stan Bowman since he has the Huet contract noose on him right now, but today is a sad sad day.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Unless Huet pulls his head out of his ass and plays like he did down the stretch for the Caps two years ago which led the Hawks to give him that monster deal.

True, but that looks like a classic case of a guy trying to (and being succesful) get that one big contract on the free agent market.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Hopefully one of the goaltenders gets hot. We were kidding ourselves thinking Huet's contract could be moved.

That is the problem with being so close to the salary cap. You pretty much had to be able to get two deals done simultaneously, otherwise it wasn't worth it. It looks like it couldn't be done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
That is the problem with being so close to the salary cap. You pretty much had to be able to get two deals done simultaneously, otherwise it wasn't worth it. It looks like it couldn't be done.

what do you guys think the best solution is right now... I don't know, without knowing the personality of Huet, I would say the best option right now is for Q and Bowman to sit him down and basically say "We signed you to big money, we trust you, you are going to start from here on out." I know Anti has played better overall, but I just want them to give Huet one more crack

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
what do you guys think the best solution is right now... I don't know, without knowing the personality of Huet, I would say the best option right now is for Q and Bowman to sit him down and basically say "We signed you to big money, we trust you, you are going to start from here on out." I know Anti has played better overall, but I just want them to give Huet one more crack

He pretty much has to get the next start at this point. We are in a situation where Q just has to play the hottest guy and pray for the best.