Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
what do you guys think the best solution is right now... I don't know, without knowing the personality of Huet, I would say the best option right now is for Q and Bowman to sit him down and basically say "We signed you to big money, we trust you, you are going to start from here on out." I know Anti has played better overall, but I just want them to give Huet one more crack

Last year, Huet played better when Khabi was injured. The Hawks need to pick a goaltender and stick with him for 10 consecutive games sans back to backs. They need to get one of these f***ers hot.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everything that Q has done right, he does have a pretty tough situation on his hands here. Personally, I would like to see him give Huet a s***load of starts in a row and see if he can get it going. I have no idea what the future holds for Niemi, but I think this season Huet at his best >> Niemi's best. However, the downside of that is bad Huet

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Well, your bandwagon seat isn't even warm yet so feel free to jump off so someone else can hop on.

Considering I actually went to more games a year when they were bad than I have been since the bandwagon filled up with the Cubbie esque fans, I'll take a pass. Nice try though. Just because I think a team with two goalies who have as many playoff series wins combined as I do, while having a bevy of questionable (at best) performances throughout this season isn't going to win the Stanley Cup doesn't make me a bad fan. It makes me a logical one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Hawks goalies have made 181 fewer saves than any team in the league, which is an absolutely insane stat. And this isn't me dissing the Hawks either, as I looked through past years, the best teams are generally among the lowest in total saves (which is not a surprise obviously.) Plus, the Hawks are tied for 21st in save percentage, which while not great, doesn't match the save stat at all. The biggest difference between 29th and 30th in total saves for a season since the lockout is 61, so the Hawks are going to blow that away. Just shows how dominant their puck possession is. The Hawks also lead the league in shots on goal, but are tied for 12th in goals per game.

Back on topic though, Oilers and Hawks are 2-2 after 2 at the UC. Hawks really can't afford to give away points against a bad team again as the schedule stiffens after tonight.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I'm disappointed that the Hawks didn't upgrade in goal, but I think I'd be more upset if any goalie of value was dealt today.

The Hawks were in a spot where their would have had to deal out as many dollars as they took in to get a goalie, and they had to make two deals to do it. So in otherwords they would have had to find a decent deal for someone like Buff, Versteeg, or Sharp to free up a decent amount of cash, because obviously they couldn't find anyone who wanted Huet. The Cap just killed us this time around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
The Hawks were in a spot where their would have had to deal out as many dollars as they took in to get a goalie, and they had to make two deals to do it. So in otherwords they would have had to find a decent deal for someone like Buff, Versteeg, or Sharp to free up a decent amount of cash, because obviously they couldn't find anyone who wanted Huet. The Cap just killed us this time around.

CURSE YOU, DALE TALLON!!!!!!

[shakes fists violently at the sky]

(I put it in green, but I know there are some who do blame him. It's an organizational decision to make deals, though, so there's lots of blame to go around.)

I am glad that Vokoun didn't go anywhere. It's easier to accept the status quo when no one I would have wanted in goal for the Hawks gets traded elsewhere.

Edited by The Critic

Huet absolutely sucks. It's unfortunate that the backup isn't any better.

There has been some bad defense here as well though. But Christ, no defense has this small of a margin for error.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
This should be an interesting game today. Hawks/Wings at 11:30 on NBC. Wings have been good since getting all their guys healthy.

Well it could have been interesting... After that third goal got waved off, this team lost all concentration. I know Huet has been awful, but the defense didn't help him a bit in this one.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Sometimes the goalie needs to make a stop. Huet can not do this. I still believe they will be bounced in the first as there is no way this situation does not weigh on the whole team.

The first round might depend on the matchup (a Detroit series would lead to a 1st round loss), but there is no chance this team wins 2 playoffs series like they did last year. At this point, I think you just have to put Niemi in every game no matter what. He's not great (or good), but there is more hope with him in there than with Huet.

Edited by whitesoxfan101