Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
This is the best the Hawks have looked in a while, the D has been great, especially the netminding on that long two man advantage.

Yeah, they are throwing a lot of pucks at the net... they are looking like they did earlier in the year.

Now if a line other than the 4th could bury one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
This is the best the Hawks have looked in a while, the D has been great, especially the netminding on that long two man advantage.

They are finally shooting the puck instead of tryin to get cute and make the perfect play....

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)
Yeah, they are throwing a lot of pucks at the net... they are looking like they did earlier in the year.

Now if a line other than the 4th could bury one.

The are getting lots of great chances on things other than breakaways. That is a nice step forward over the last couple weeks.

Liked the game but come on it was Minnesota. The defense looked good but I would say that the spectacular saves Neimi made according to the tv were nothing all that great. He still flops around way to much for me to consider him anything above ok.

The fourth line saved them again and I am starting to think that all of the offseason work Kane did that we heard about earlier in the year is gone. Other than Sharp the top two lines of this team look really tired.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
Liked the game but come on it was Minnesota. The defense looked good but I would say that the spectacular saves Neimi made according to the tv were nothing all that great. He still flops around way to much for me to consider him anything above ok.

The fourth line saved them again and I am starting to think that all of the offseason work Kane did that we heard about earlier in the year is gone. Other than Sharp the top two lines of this team look really tired.

The first toe save Niemi made was spectacular, and the left-to-right stop he made (the third great save) was even better. Those saves on the 5-on-3 were game-changers.

I'm not saying Niemi is Ken Dryden, but he's easily the better of the two choices the Hawks have. Damning with faint praise? Maybe. We'll see soon enough.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
The first toe save Niemi made was spectacular, and the left-to-right stop he made (the third great save) was even better. Those saves on the 5-on-3 were game-changers.

I'm not saying Niemi is Ken Dryden, but he's easily the better of the two choices the Hawks have. Damning with faint praise? Maybe. We'll see soon enough.

I agree that the 5 on 3 could be a turning point as it could have gone the way of the Washington 5 on 3 a couple of weeks back but I think those were saves NHL goalies make. The other two saves on that situation hit him in teh shoulder and allowed rebounds.

If he plays like he did last night they have a shot if the offense picks it up.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
The fourth line saved them again and I am starting to think that all of the offseason work Kane did that we heard about earlier in the year is gone.

So Kane all of a sudden lost muscle and went back to being skinny? Got it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
So Kane all of a sudden lost muscle and went back to being skinny? Got it.

I do think he may be getting fatigued, or opponents are finishing checks harder on him.

Earlier in the season he was fighting through checks along the boards much more effectively than he has lately.

I think he'll pick it back up in the playoffs when the motivation is higher than it is right now. I don't mean to say Kane is slacking or bored - the energy level naturally increases when the playoffs begin and the stakes get higher, and I think Kane will play stronger along the boards again as a result of that.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
doesnt feel like weve even gotten a puck to net all night.....NJ looks like the hawks from earlier in the year

heh just after i typed this the hawks put on a good empty net rush ...then win it in OT....

goaltender win tonight ...wasn't a pretty win but they got it done....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
Make that 30-1-1

That is a great victory.

Important victory for the 'hawks and Niemi, too. That save on Parise (I think) was absolutely incredible. The strength and flexibility it took was amazing.