Some interesting material between the lines

NorthSideSox72

A lot of the content in the weekly mail bag is obvious, but there are some interesting tidbits and some hints if you read between the lines...

on Dan Hudson, apparently was a potential part of the Peavy deal...

Q: Daniel Hudson has been dominant at 3 different levels in the minors. Would the Sox consider using him if Richard continues to fail or even for a spot start (maybe the double header with Detroit)? -- Grant

A: Not yet. He's made a nice climb. I know San Diego scouted him as part of the failed Jake Peavy trade. There are a few pitchers ahead of him, but the Sox aren't afraid to vault players from Double-A to the majors.

When asked about prospects, interesting note on Nunez...

There's an intriguing reliver at Triple-A Charlotte in Jhonny Nunez, who could be the successor to Bobby Jenks.

When asked about Beckham's defensive issues...

Maybe a backup infielder who has pinch-hitting experience can help the roster.

Sometimes Gonzales hears things he can't repeat verbatim, but hints at them in articles like this. I'm starting to think its more and more likely that we go after Teahen, and probably move a minor league pitcher or two to accomplish that.

More at the link.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
I wonder if the hype around Nunez is warranted, or if he's another Nick Massett.

I wasn't impressed when I saw him. Very similar delivery to Dotel, imo. Good fastball but I saw zero secondary stuff. But he does have plus velocity. I know the Sox scouts were high on him though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
I wasn't impressed when I saw him. Very similar delivery to Dotel, imo. Good fastball but I saw zero secondary stuff. But he does have plus velocity. I know the Sox scouts were high on him though.

As a closer all you need is that secondary pitch.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Im pretty sure JPN was never impressed with his stuff at AA. Maybe im wrong.

I wasn't impressed, but he did pitch well and the numbers don't lie. He deserved the promotion. He didn't strike me as spectacular, but that really doesn't mean much. He was always used in long/middle relief, so I'm not sure how he would do as a closer.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I wonder if the hype around Nunez is warranted, or if he's another Nick Massett.

The Nick Massett who owns a 2.29 ERA and .91 WHIP this year with only 1 HR given up in a hitters park? After we traded him he put up a 2.08 ERA as well in 2008. He wasnt all hype.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
The Nick Massett who owns a 2.29 ERA and .91 WHIP this year with only 1 HR given up in a hitters park? After we traded him he put up a 2.08 ERA as well in 2008. He wasnt all hype.

Cooper's philosophy of less velocity and more command works with a lot of guys. Nick isn't one of them, as he's airing it out for the Reds and throws some pretty filthy stuff. His fastball is in the 95 mph range with a lot of movement.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Cooper's philosophy of less velocity and more command works with a lot of guys. Nick isn't one of them, as he's airing it out for the Reds and throws some pretty filthy stuff. His fastball is in the 95 mph range with a lot of movement.

The Coop method seems to save arms. The Dusty method shreds them

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
I was sad to give Massett away for a brief rental of Griffey Jr.

I saw Massett at Miller Park earlier this year. He looked unreal in striking out Prince and Braun back to back.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
It is surprising to see guys like Masset, MacDougal, and Aardsma actually doing good. I thought they were all pretty much done when they left the Sox.

I hope the Sox and Coop are paying attention to that fact so that they understand that maybe everyone does not fit the standard plan.

Well, according to Cooper, Aardsma and Sisco refused to work with him and the organization on their offspeed stuff...so they basically cut them loose.

We tried MANY times with MacDougal, maybe he just needed a change of scenery and to pitch in a low-stress environment like Kip Wells did, or similar to KC, without any scrutiny by the media.