State your unpopular opinions

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 04:33 AM)
Here's an easy fix: don't f*** drunk girls.

Well, I'm kind of making the assumption that both people would have been drinking, and the following day one (or both) of them regret what happened. I'm sure you'd agree that drinking leads to lowered inhibitions and generally poor judgement. Saying "don't f*** drunk girls" puts all of the responsibility of good judgement on the male - a male who' likely been drinking.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
People who feel like this should stand in the ring with two fighting pitbulls so they know what it is like when these types get free and attack people.

There's nothing wrong with pit bulls. It's the people that train them to fight that should be beaten with a stick.

I believe Albert Pujols takes PEDs, and I can't understand how the national media has so quickly signed off on his numbers as legit. Didn't we just go through this with ARod? Sure, he's a nice guy, but he's putting up power numbers that have rarely been seen in baseball history.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
There's nothing wrong with pit bulls. It's the people that train them to fight that should be beaten with a stick.

Usually when they are banned from certain areas, there is a good reason for it(pitbull fighting rings, lots of reported attacks, etc), which is why I disagree with what Mex said. I understand that the breed can be good, but they have earned their reputation in a lot of areas of this country.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Oh, and they're needs to be levels to DUI convictions. Like, being one beer over the limit is not at all the same as being 10 beers over the limit. But, apparently it's the same according to the court system here. I had 8 beers in 6 hours tonight and drove home fine, but according to the law, I'm pretty sure I would have blown over a .08, which means I legally drove drunk tonight even though I was fine.

All right, no offense, but this statement, especially the bolded part, is just absolutely brutal logic. Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I hate when people do this s***. If you've over .08, actually if you are even near .08, no you're not fine, you just think you are. You're drunk, actually pretty good and drunk. You might not be drooling and stumbling around, but you're drunk and you have no business driving. You think you're good to go, I'm on the expressway behind you gripping my wheel hard watching you drive 10 mph under the limit, wobbling back and forth, drifting into my lane and you have no idea you're doing it. And I'm sitting there wondering if I should just drive behind you and hope you don't hit a tree or something, or just gun it and fly around you as fast as I can and hope you don't swerve into my lane for the few seconds I'm there.

Remember Tank Johnson? He didn't get a DUI because he had about a .72 after they took him in for a blood test. And why did he get stopped by the cops? Because he was driving erratically... just like a drunk person does! But that still completely absolved him of any guilt in some people's eyes.

If you were 10 beers over the limit you might not make it to the end of the street if you're dumb enough to attempt driving then.

Generation Y got a spoiled upbringing and now it's showing with alcohol fueled violence around the world in the 18-35 age bracket (or at least it is down here in Melbourne and other cities around the world such as London).

Believes if you collect welfare and do not have a physical disability, you should be forced to do community service.

Believes abortion should be banned in the constitution... it's murder.

Believes in a single payer universal healthcare system... but I dont think it's very feasible to implement.

Believes marijuana should be legalized, but taxed the hell out of.

Believes in a "pre-egyptian" advanced society

Believes in a maximum wag... but set it high.

Believes DUI laws should be WAY tougher. Mandatory jail time.

Believes the DH should be required in both leagues... unless you choose to opt out of it for a game.

Believes that affirmative action was once positive, but is now anti-productive.

Believes Jessie Jackson is a hindrance to the cause of African Americas... white people dont respect/listen to him.

Believes the Electoral College should be disbanded and all presidents are elected by straight popular vote.

Believes it would be good to have the loser of the presidential election be the VP.

Believes we need to completely pull out of the middle east and let them fend for themselves... Israel included.

Believes in "America first" where all foreign goods (minus maybe oil) should have excessively high tariffs and most products are made in America.

Believe the 2nd Amendment will never be properly implemented because the original intent was lost in the constant revisions made to the amendment before its final passage.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Well, I'm kind of making the assumption that both people would have been drinking, and the following day one (or both) of them regret what happened. I'm sure you'd agree that drinking leads to lowered inhibitions and generally poor judgement. Saying "don't f*** drunk girls" puts all of the responsibility of good judgement on the male - a male who' likely been drinking.

Are there any other laws besides rape that drunk people should be exempt from?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Believes if you collect welfare and do not have a physical disability, you should be forced to do community service.

Believes abortion should be banned in the constitution... it's murder.

Believes in a single payer universal healthcare system... but I dont think it's very feasible to implement.

Believes marijuana should be legalized, but taxed the hell out of.

Believes in a "pre-egyptian" advanced society

Believes DUI laws should be WAY tougher. Mandatory jail time.

Believes the DH should be required in both leagues... unless you choose to opt out of it for a game.

Believes that affirmative action was once positive, but is now anti-productive.

Believes Jessie Jackson is a hindrance to the cause of African Americas... white people dont respect/listen to him.

Believes the Electoral College should be disbanded and all presidents are elected by straight popular vote.

Believes it would be good to have the loser of the presidential election be the VP.

Believes we need to completely pull out of the middle east and let them fend for themselves... Israel included.

Believes in "America first" where all foreign goods (minus maybe oil) should have excessively high tariffs and most products are made in America.

Believe the 2nd Amendment will never be properly implemented because the original intent was lost in the constant revisions made to the amendment before its final passage.

Hell, white people can't even spell his name.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Believes if you collect welfare and do not have a physical disability, you should be forced to do community service. +1

Believes abortion should be banned in the constitution... it's murder. Should be a state's rights issue

Believes marijuana should be legalized, but taxed the hell out of. Extreme agreement and I basically have never smoked. Same should apply to prostitution.

Believes in a "pre-egyptian" advanced society + eleventy million

Believes DUI laws should be WAY tougher. Mandatory jail time. Disagree. I think they are fine as is

Believes the DH should be required in both leagues... unless you choose to opt out of it for a game. Agreed but it will never happen IMO

Believes that affirmative action was once positive, but is now anti-productive. Couldn't agree more

Believes we need to completely pull out of the middle east and let them fend for themselves... Israel included. Strong disagreement, we need Israel

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)

I've written research pieces, multiple, on 2A. I'm pretty familiar with the background. And yet, I have never heard anyone say something like this. Can you explain what you mean?

Hate crime legislation should be abolished. A crime is a crime is a crime. Piling on punishment because of a person's thoughts or beliefs is an unconstitutional punishment of that belief.

Commission of a crime while under the influence of alcohol or drugs should be considered an aggravated offense, in the same way committing a crime with a weapon is.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

guns don't kill people, people kill people

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
I believe Albert Pujols takes PEDs, and I can't understand how the national media has so quickly signed off on his numbers as legit. Didn't we just go through this with ARod? Sure, he's a nice guy, but he's putting up power numbers that have rarely been seen in baseball history.

I thought I heard on some radio show (although take this with a grain of salt) that Pujols has taken 6 drug tests this year and passed them all.

Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't take something that can't be detected or has some sort of masking drug, but he hasn't ballooned like Bonds did. He hasn't had the typical injuries, that I can remember. I no believe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I've written research pieces, multiple, on 2A. I'm pretty familiar with the background. And yet, I have never heard anyone say something like this. Can you explain what you mean?

Well, obviously I havent done nearly as much research as you have. Mine is simply based of the wikipedia article.

Unless I am reading it wrong, the original workding was based on the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights: "That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

It talks about the militia "composed of the body of the people". now, to me, that doesnt mean EVERY citizen. Just the members of the militia.

However, the first wording brought up to vote was this: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

It's worded much more towards individuals.

But the final version: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is a little more poorly worded. The people" the people of the militia or the people of citizens?

Take into consideration the position of commas in the various drafts and such. i think it's just a little to hard to 100% define. I think it LEANS towards individuals, but the militia part overshadows it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
That's laughable, seeing as that's exactly what's being done.

Based on the data that's out there, they've been doing a terrible, terrible job of it over the last 30 years.

1% of Americans are earning a higher share of income than they have at any point since the depression. By every metric out there, inequality has skyrocketed over the past 30 years as the conservative movement has been ascendant.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Well, obviously I havent done nearly as much research as you have. Mine is simply based of the wikipedia article.

Unless I am reading it wrong, the original workding was based on the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights: "That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

It talks about the militia "composed of the body of the people". now, to me, that doesnt mean EVERY citizen. Just the members of the militia.

However, the first wording brought up to vote was this: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

It's worded much more towards individuals.

But the final version: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is a little more poorly worded. The people" the people of the militia or the people of citizens?

Take into consideration the position of commas in the various drafts and such. i think it's just a little to hard to 100% define. I think it LEANS towards individuals, but the militia part overshadows it.

Re-read the bolded above from your post. The phrase "composed of the body of the people" makes it 100% clear they are talking about the citizenry, and if that wasn't clear enough, it also specifically forbades long-term standing armies, SEPERATELY. There is zero doubt in my mind that the people's militia being protected in 2A is not at all referring to a standing military. It is referring to the people as a defensive body. And because of the phrasing in opposition to a standing army, the implication is that an armed populace capable of defense is preferable to that standing army.

Militia Standing Military

Militia = the people

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Re-read the bolded above from your post. The phrase "composed of the body of the people" makes it 100% clear they are talking about the citizenry, and if that wasn't clear enough, it also specifically forbades long-term standing armies, SEPERATELY. There is zero doubt in my mind that the people's militia being protected in 2A is not at all referring to a standing military. It is referring to the people as a defensive body. And because of the phrasing in opposition to a standing army, the implication is that an armed populace capable of defense is preferable to that standing army.

Militia Standing Military

Militia = the people

fair enough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Based on the data that's out there, they've been doing a terrible, terrible job of it over the last 30 years.

1% of Americans are earning a higher share of income than they have at any point since the depression. By every metric out there, inequality has skyrocketed over the past 30 years as the conservative movement has been ascendant.

Exactly - damn those conservatives and by association, Republicans, letting people actually get "rich".